<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] Can't boot Fedora 15
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't boot Fedora 15

I added a new drive to an existing system and installed F15 on the new drive, and all was well. I copied what I needed from the old drive and removed it from the system. Now it won't boot. It drops to a shell with the message

Code:
    ACPI: Expecting a [Reference] package element, found type 0
    I don't know if that's relevant, but dmesg reveals that it can't find the root device:

Code:
    dracut: inactive '/dev/vg_server100/lv_swap' [9.81 GiB] inherit
    dracut: inactive '/dev/vg_server100/lv_home' [1.76 TiB] inherit
    dracut: inactive '/dev/vg_server100/lv_root' [50.00 GiB] inherit
    dracut: inactive '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [1.13 TiB] inherit
    dracut: inactive '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GiB] inherit
    dracut: Volume group "vg_server1" not found
    dracut: Skipping volume group vg_server1
    dracut: Warning: No root device "block:/dev/mapper/vg_server100-lv_root" found
    dracut: Warning: LVM vg_server1/lv_swap not found
    server1 was the volume group on the drive that was removed. I thought I had removed that volume group in the disk manager. server100 is the new volume group.

In the shell, I can mount the root partition and look at its contents. It all seems to be there, but the /boot directory is empty.

Any idea how I can get this system to boot up normally?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

I discovered this entry in my /etc/fstab file:

Code:
    UUID=... /boot    ext4    defaults     1 2
    I guess that's the part that's really missing? Any idea how I would go about recovering it?

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

The boot partition is in tact, and so is the root partition. So I'm still wondering why dracut thinks there is no root device.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can't boot Fedora 15

I don't use LVM so I know nothing about it but I can move this thread to the top of the heap just by replying. Maybe someone else can help out.

Thinking about it a little more, if you put the old drive back in does the system boot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would certainly give that a try, but I wiped it before removing it. I suppose I should have been more careful about it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you copy the information from one drive to another ?

Normally there is a separate boot partition, separate from the LVM.

If the LVM is intact you could perhaps make a boot partition and re-install the kernel and grub.

How exactly did you rename your LVM ?
    If it is not broken, tweak it... If you break Fedora you get to keep both pieces :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I added a new drive and did a clean install on that drive, leaving everything else alone. This created a new volume group, vg_server100. Then I mounted the home partition from the old volume group, vg_server1, and copied over the data that I needed.

There is a separate boot partiion on the new drive. I can mount it in the recovery shell. I don't know why it fails in the boot process. It appears the kernel is already there. If I could think of a way to reinstall just that part of it, I would give it a try. I did try upgrading from the source media, but that didn't do anything. And I changed grub.conf to show the splash screen and let me try different boot options, but it still won't boot because it claims it can't find the root device.

---------- Post added 19th June 2011 at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was 18th June 2011 at 08:38 PM ----------

I got it to boot by removing the reference to the non-existent swap partition in the bootline. Evidently that makes it think there is no root partition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you resolve this? I mean how did you removed the non-existence swap partition and get it working? What about the 'root not found' issue? (I am kind of new to this so bear with me)
    --
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Glennzo would you like to answer ^ above?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Glennzo would you like to answer ^ above?
    Why? Is this a test?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO for sure.. I'm just beginning to learn and I see the same problem while rebooting to a new kernel in LVM and from all the people who happen to reply on this thread is offline other than you so I just specifically asked you (if it's offending, I'll make sure I don't do that again)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I'm not offended.

Online? I'm actually at work and check in here when I have time. Otherwise, if I'm shown as being online I must have left myself logged in on my home PC

So what exactly did you do to get yourself into the same state as the original poster?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just running Fedora16 image on VM with kernel version 3.1.0..(something) .. then Downloaded kernel version of 3.1.10 from kernel.org, compiled, installed and rebooted it (with some printk() and dumpstack() in the socket functions)..it worked fine for 2-3 days then it started showing me the following message on reboot -

dracut: Warning: No root device "block:/dev/mapper/vg_fedora-lv_root" found
    dracut: Warning: LVM vg_fedora/lv_root not found
    dracut: Warning: LVM vg_fedora/lv_swap not found
    Dropping to debug shell

Since I didnt do anything other than mentioned above so no idea why it happened.
    But I would like to mention..my kernel got updated (i guess through auto-update --> which I want to switch off now?) and I could see a different version 3.3.2...(something) which along with my original kernel happen to work fine. It's just I'm not able to reboot a self compiled kernel version 3.1.10