Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th June 2011, 02:33 AM
audifanatic518 Offline

linuxfirefox
Install 32 bit libraries on 64 bit Fedora 15

Hi,

I'm a linux newb and I've been wanting to develop Android applications in Fedora. I have the 64-bit version of Fedora 15 and the device emulator in the Android SDK is only 32 bit. I'll get the following error when trying to start a virtual Android device:

Code:
unset SDL_VIDEODRIVER
Adding 32 bit support hasn't been the easiest thing to figure out and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a hand. Thanks!
Old 17th June 2011, 05:35 AM
publius21 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie
Re: Install 32 bit libraries on 64 bit Fedora 15

I'm far a linux guru myself, but I'll tell you how stumbled onto installing the 32-bit libraries. Some other distros have an obvious option to add it, but Fedora doesn't make it obvious.

Go into the GUI add/remove software app and, in the options somwhere, uncheck the option to only show "native packages", which will then allow the .i686 32-bit packages to become visible from the repos.

Now, search for "libc" or "glibc" (I can't remember which I used) and choose the 32-bit, i686 library package. That should bring in most of the core/base stuff. You may need some more packages after that for whatever you're trying to do, but that will get you started.
Old 17th June 2011, 03:01 PM
audifanatic518 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius21 View Post
I'm far a linux guru myself, but I'll tell you how stumbled onto installing the 32-bit libraries. Some other distros have an obvious option to add it, but Fedora doesn't make it obvious.

Go into the GUI add/remove software app and, in the options somwhere, uncheck the option to only show "native packages", which will then allow the .i686 32-bit packages to become visible from the repos.

Now, search for "libc" or "glibc" (I can't remember which I used) and choose the 32-bit, i686 library package. That should bring in most of the core/base stuff. You may need some more packages after that for whatever you're trying to do, but that will get you started.

Do you remember what the library was named?
Old 17th June 2011, 09:54 PM
publius21 Offline

linuxfirefox

Search on "glibc". Choose the "i686" version of the package and install it. That should pull in most of the 32-bit libraries.

Tags
bit, fedora, install, libraries