Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2011, 11:43 PM
wangmaster Offline

linuxchrome
KDE can't log out or shutdown

Anyone running into a problem where KDE will not shutdown or log out or restart?
It seems to only happen on my laptop with F15 (I've restarted with a fresh home directory just to see if it wasn't some kind of leftover configuration thing).

If I choose to shutdown, log out or restart, my desktop session just sits at the desktop without quitting. I found that if I kill the x server of ksmserver the system will proceed to complete whatever action I previously asked for (shutdown, logout or restart).

Laptop is a thinkpad t61p. My desktop (i7-2600k) doesn't seem to have this problem at all. I'm trying to track down a specific applications that might be causing this, but not coming across it yet.

any ideas or verbosity I can turn on to see what might be holding up the shutdown?
Old 15th June 2011, 12:04 AM
GoinEasy9 Online

linuxfirefox
Re: KDE can't log out or shutdown

If you hit escape when the fedora bubble appears during shutdown you should be able to see what is happening. There was one instance a little while back (same symptoms you are having) where I had to do "shutdown now" as root in a terminal to get shutdown, but, I think it was due to an update. Once I rebooted everything was fine.
I'm running KDE since before the F15 release and have not had persistent problems with anything. Other things you can look at:
/var/log/messages
run dmesg in the terminal and look at the last 20 lines or so.
If you boot up and take rhgb and quiet out of the kernel line at grub, when you shut down, everything that appears on the tty will be visible to you.
Good luck.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE
Old 15th June 2011, 04:24 AM
wangmaster Offline

linuxchrome

It doesn't even get to the console shutdown process at all (the plymouth graphical startup/shutdown you're talking about)

It doesn't actually exit the kde desktop until I either kill the ksmserver process, or kill X.
Old 15th June 2011, 04:48 AM
GoinEasy9 Online

linuxfirefox

Did /var/log/messages have any clue?
If not, and if noone else has any ideas here on the forum, you can always ask in the #fedora-kde IRC channel on oftc. If you've installed KDE, then konversation is preset to bring up that channel.
Like I said, this only happened to me one time after an update, and a reboot fixed it for me. Hopefully someone else here has some other ideas.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE
Old 15th June 2011, 06:57 AM
wangmaster Offline

windows_7chrome

No /var/log/messages doesn't give you any clue, because KDE hasn't actually initiated a shutdown yet.

The problem is, something is preventing KDE from properly quitting, which will then initiate a shutdown via gdm.

In the scenario I describe, where you're still logged in at the desktop, the actual shutdown event is never initiated.

I've found some similar reports where kdm had some problems losing authorization and thus failing to shutdown, but I'm using gdm and there's no indication of any problem in the gdm log files.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:22 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello wangmaster

Yes, I have seen that behaviour. You use "Shutdown" or "Restart" from the main menu, or from an applet installed on the taskbar, the button appears to depress and then nothing happens.

I've never much bothered about it because it was very intermittent and I haven't seen it since installing F15 final, or upgrading from F15 various alphas and betas.

I usually run several Dolphins on various desktops and several instances of Konsole with the intent that they restart on bootup. I would also have had Opera open for the same reason. I can't think of any other things that I would have had open regularly.

If it happens again, I'll try to keep a note of what was running and post back if you are still interested.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:25 AM
lucifer663 Offline

windows_7chrome

having the same problem in laptop and FC15...log out/shutodown buttons not working at all and have to get out of KDE by CLI
Old 15th June 2011, 05:36 PM
wangmaster Offline

linuxchrome

One thing I noticed was that it seems to be more of a problem if I remain logged in for a long period of time. That could be coincidental since the longer I'm logged in, the more likely I am to run more applications (any of which could trigger the problem)

I'm going to leave my laptop logged in all night tonight with no activity and I'll see what happens.

The other thing i noticed was .xsession-error messages relating to kde wallet use during shutdown. I didn't cut and paste them, but I have recently started to allow chrome to use the kde wallet (and I also set a password on my kdewallet fairly recently). I just reconfigured the wallet to deny access to chrome. I haven't seen the problem since then, but I only just did that last night.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:09 PM
jvillain Offline

linuxfirefox

I had that issue for a while in rawhide with the F16 packages. It has gone away now so I would expect the fixes to get back ported to F15.
Old 1st September 2011, 01:54 AM
lamegaptop Offline

linuxfirefox

Are you using Skype? Is it logged in and on your panel?

I have the same issue -logout, reboot, shutdown, leave do nothing. right click the Skype icon, choose quit, and it all works again.

Tags
kde, log, shutdown