Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2011, 10:39 PM
osce0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
runescape in fedora 15 text flickers

I have Fedora 15 x86_64 with hybrid nvidia optimus, using intel driver with nvidia off using acpi_off.

I ran runescape with stock icedtea java 1.9.7 that came with fedora 15, and I have the following problem:

1. The text characters randomly flickers on and off, mostly off.
2. Some weird white-noise-like artifacts around dark areas, not bad enough to stop the overall game play.

Again, I can still play without problems since I already memorized most of the menu texts, but it is annoying when trying to read the text area.

Any idea how to fix this?

I'll try sun/oracle's Java if I have to, but I suspect more on gnome 3 3D intermixing with firefox and java. Could it be related to firefox animated icon flickering? I'll see if I can reproduce this in xfce or other desktop manager, although I'd like to stay in gnome 3.

I had to move to Fedora 15 due to intel driver not working in Fedora 14 in my new laptop. In my desktop Fedora 14, runescape works perfectly, and I'd like to play it on my laptop seated on my couch.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:36 AM
tantan Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: runescape in fedora 15 text flickers

I have similar problem: laptop with F15 i586, intel 855GM integrated video. Some games constantly flicker, while slow down. As the OP stated, text is difficult to read; flickering menus can alter someone's sight.
This hadn't happenned on F14 ..
Old 27th May 2012, 01:45 PM
osce0 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: runescape in fedora 15 text flickers

Marked as solved since I returned the laptop and replaced it with a laptop that has nvidia graphics.

Tags
fedora, flickers, runescape, text