FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Hi,

    I recently installed Fedora 15 under VMware Workstation V7.1.4. I'm now experiencing problems installing VMware tools.

    I unpacked the VMware Tools, and then...

    Code:
    yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc make
    reboot
    ./vmware-install.pl
    ...then taking all defaults from the script. When I get to the section on entering the kernel header path, this happens:

    Code:
    Searching for a valid kernel header path...
    The path "" is not valid.
    Would you like to change it? [yes]
    
    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel?
    ...and I dont seem to be able to provide a valid directory for the kernel headers at this point.

    The system does not seem to have detected the kernel header path, even though I have installed the kernel-headers package.

    I've tried: /lib/modules/2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE/build/include
    and also: /usr/src/kernels/2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE/include
    without success.

    I would be grateful for some help getting my vmware tools installed please.

    Regards.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Hi,

    I've got the same problem on Fedora 15 32Bit. 64Bit seems to be working.

    When I try uname I got
    Code:
    uname -r
    2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE
    When I try find / -name headers I got
    Code:
    find / -name headers
    /usr/src/kernels/2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686/include/config/headers
    Manually entering this path doesn't help.

    When I look into this directory there is only one empty file check.h.
    I've done yum update yesterday with 96 updates.
    This morning I've done yum update again with 16 updates.



    Maybe we need some days until it's working.

    Regards Sebastian

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,683
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    If I remember correctly, it's a vmware issue. There's a line you will have to change and I can't find the link. This is assuming your kernel-devel package matches your running kernel.

    If kernel and kernel-devel match, and you have the basic tools, gcc, make, and so on, then it's the more obscure problem.

    Extract the tarball from the mounted vmware tools and edit vmware-install.pl, which I think gets placed in /usr/bin. Look for he line that's something like this
    Code:
      if (-e $answer . '/generated/utsrelease.h') {
          $uts_headers .= "#include <./generated/utsrelease.h> \n";
    Around line 2006
    The line will be slightly different, change it to read what I have above.

    For reference

    http://resalxh.wordpress.com/2010/06...-on-fedora-13/


    Now when running vmware-config.pl the correct path is found and you no longer have to edit version.h and/or to look for the correct path. Thank you Mattias!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    If you are running a PAE kernel you must install the kernel-PAE-devel package instead of the regular kernel-devel.

  5. #5
    yuwanglingdi Guest

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    I'm from China,and I'm a stranger to fedora.unfortunately,I got the same problem with you guys,so,I'm looking to the solutions.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Hi smr54,
    hi markkuk,

    thank you for your help

    @sm54
    That seemed to be working.

    @markkuk
    I've installed F15 using the default settings. I've specified 1GB RAM for the VM. So I don't understand why an PAE kernel is installed.
    Next of all I just used the normal yum, so I think the correspending headers should be installed.
    Do you know some special actions required?

    Thanks

    Sebastian

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by mfinmun
    @markkuk
    I've installed F15 using the default settings. I've specified 1GB RAM for the VM. So I don't understand why an PAE kernel is installed.
    Starting with Fedora 11 PAE kernel is installed by default if the CPU supports it: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ics_for_Fedora

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by markkuk
    If you are running a PAE kernel you must install the kernel-PAE-devel package instead of the regular kernel-devel.
    Markkuk: Excellent! That worked.

    I installed the kernel-PAE-devel package and was subsequently able to successfully install VMware tools.

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Kind regards.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    @markkuk

    Thank you! Lessons learned

    Regards

    Sebastian

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    I am here because of the same problem but I found the solution.

    Firstly, do a uname -a to see if your kernel version (the number, and PAE/not PAE) matches the kernel-devel installed. If not, that is where the problem lies.

    Do a YUM install for the kernel[.PAE] again to bring it up to the same version as the kernel-devel[.PAE].
    Reboot and that works for me.

    Specifically, Fedora 15 installed 2.6.38.6-26.fc15.i686.PAE and any yum install around this time would have pulled 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Someone asked which file they needed to update to get VMware-Config.pl to compile.

    The file is located in /usr/src/kernels/[your version]/include/linux/version.h

    add the following line:
    #define UTS_RELEASE "[your version]"

    note that the quotes are required

    I found this in a linux forum thread.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ore-5-a-2.html

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by caspermy
    i am here because of the same problem but i found the solution.

    Firstly, do a uname -a to see if your kernel version (the number, and pae/not pae) matches the kernel-devel installed. If not, that is where the problem lies.

    Do a yum install for the kernel[.pae] again to bring it up to the same version as the kernel-devel[.pae].
    Reboot and that works for me.

    Specifically, fedora 15 installed 2.6.38.6-26.fc15.i686.pae and any yum install around this time would have pulled 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.pae
    thank you!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    China
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by caspermy
    I am here because of the same problem but I found the solution.

    Firstly, do a uname -a to see if your kernel version (the number, and PAE/not PAE) matches the kernel-devel installed. If not, that is where the problem lies.

    Do a YUM install for the kernel[.PAE] again to bring it up to the same version as the kernel-devel[.PAE].
    Reboot and that works for me.

    Specifically, Fedora 15 installed 2.6.38.6-26.fc15.i686.PAE and any yum install around this time would have pulled 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE

    Thank you! I use Fedora 16, and your solution is perfect!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    China
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by caspermy
    I am here because of the same problem but I found the solution.

    Firstly, do a uname -a to see if your kernel version (the number, and PAE/not PAE) matches the kernel-devel installed. If not, that is where the problem lies.

    Do a YUM install for the kernel[.PAE] again to bring it up to the same version as the kernel-devel[.PAE].
    Reboot and that works for me.

    Specifically, Fedora 15 installed 2.6.38.6-26.fc15.i686.PAE and any yum install around this time would have pulled 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE
    Thank you, it works!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: VMWare Tools Installation - Kernel header files path not valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by caspermy
    I am here because of the same problem but I found the solution.

    Firstly, do a uname -a to see if your kernel version (the number, and PAE/not PAE) matches the kernel-devel installed. If not, that is where the problem lies.

    Do a YUM install for the kernel[.PAE] again to bring it up to the same version as the kernel-devel[.PAE].
    Reboot and that works for me.

    Specifically, Fedora 15 installed 2.6.38.6-26.fc15.i686.PAE and any yum install around this time would have pulled 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.i686.PAE
    I made an account just to say, "Thank you very much. This really helped as I am new to Linux."

    If the kernel version is different, I did:

    yum update kernel
    reboot
    yum install kernel-devel

    and that made it work.

    source: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-devel-382178/
    second poster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31st July 2012, 08:58 PM
  2. Vmware and C header files
    By Helixia in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th January 2010, 11:18 PM
  3. VMWare tools - OS C Header files
    By jon80 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th June 2008, 11:54 AM
  4. Vmware C header files
    By mikebleek in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19th July 2007, 10:30 PM
  5. vmware tools & fedora 5 & c header
    By XhonkX in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26th December 2006, 06:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •