Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th May 2011, 04:09 PM
orawiss Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
openvpn configure

hello,
I just started a new job. My company office is in Paris and I am working from the south of France. To work, I have to connect to the office via a VPN access.
I have installed a fedora 14 on my laptop and now i want to configure openvpn.
openvpn is installed and I wonder if someone can give me a help to configure it and how and where to put the server IP address and what it's required.
Thank you so much!
Old 8th June 2011, 02:46 PM
LaKing Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: openvpn configure

/etc/openvpn

you should create a client.conf file there ... and you will have to deal with the manuals for details.
Old 8th June 2011, 03:23 PM
William Haller Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

/usr/share/doc/openvpn-2.1.4/ is the best place to start. In it you will find some basic instructions and directories with sample client.conf scripts. The client.conf has lots of comments - search for remote for where to put your IP address. You'll also need to know if the server is using UDP or TCP. Depending on your authentication method, you may need to add entries in the ca, cert, and key fields. If HMAC hardening is used on the server, you'll need to add that in tls-auth.

I know that with KDE, much of this can be configured directly with its network manager GUI, so you might start there. If not, you can certainly start and stop it as a service as needed via the client.conf just as well.

Edit - If running a firewall, open the appropriate ports. This is usually 1194 but your company may be running elsewhere. If UDP, you may also need to allow 1194 inbound if the pseudo state keeping doesn't work.

Last edited by William Haller; 8th June 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Firewall add
Old 8th June 2011, 05:16 PM
directive4 Offline

linuxfirefox

here a company that will provide a free vpn based on open vpn

http://arethusa.su/vpn.html

the free account is here

http://bb.s6n.org/viewtopic.php?id=81

you can download a Ca and conf file from there and give your open vpn a whirll before trying to get your companys one running, all that is needed after download is to unzip and go to

network manger
VPN connections
configure VPN
VPN
IMPORT.

for import just navagate to where you unziped the files and point to the config file.

not exactlly what you want but the best why to learn is to do, right.

after you get it working you can check the config file and see what sould be changed to get your companys vpn running.

maybe you have some issue with selinux, might have to disable it. in it's confi file set to permissive if it comes up as all the other suggestions don't really work, but maybe not, good luck!

Tags
openvpn client