Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 15th May 2011, 02:08 PM
User000 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000ie
Boot from fully encrypted disk which looks like unused

Using luks is the standard way of boot from an encrypted disk. However luks header is not encrypted and it may cause a security shortcoming when it is necessary to hide the fact of encryption.

Standard section of grub.conf when root file system is placed on an unencrypted disk has the form:
Code:
title Fedora 12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/sda1 LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE.img
Boot works.

After this I rsync this file system as a whole to a filesystem on an encrypted virtual disk /dev/mapper/hdd2 corresponding to another physical disk, for example /dev/sdb. Then I created an additional section in grub.conf so as to make it possible to boot from /dev/sdb. It looks the same as above, but with some distinctions. Location of bootloader and kernel image is unchanged (1st sector and /boot directory), only root filesystem is transferred onto an encrypted new device.
Code:
title Fedora 12 NEW
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/mapper/hdd2 LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-NEW.img
Two modifications of the initial section have been done:
1. root=/dev/sda1 ---> root=/dev/mapper/hdd2
2. initramfs-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE.img ---> initramfs-NEW.img

The second modification is needed to prepare /dev/mapper/hdd2 before mounting it as a root filesystem. So changing initramfs is necessary. I did it in the following way.

1. At the beginning of /mount/mount-root.sh, before 'mount' command, I put the string:
Code:
cryptsetup -d /etc/key -c aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 -s 256 create hdd2 /dev/sdb
2. key file is added to /etc

After this I reboot and select the second item in grub menu. During the boot the messages appear:
Quote:
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
(... the same string repeats a number of times ...)
No root device found
Boot has failed, sleeping forever
Please, give me a suggestion what should I do to cope with this issue.

Last edited by User000; 15th May 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Tags
boot, disk, encrypted, fully, unused