Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 25th May 2011, 02:51 PM
quimkaos Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Gnome3 Tweaks & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Some of the more obvious, and some not so much.

1) Need your icons back on your desktop?

Code:
 yum install gnome-tweak-tool
Then, from that tool, select File Manager, and click it to "On." The trick here is, nautilus doesn't seem to start until you hit the file browser for the first time, so go to Applications, and run startup applications preferences, and add an entry there for nautilus. Just "nautilus" should do it.

!
I don't have startup applications preferences under applications (nor under any other place)

how can i get it or is there any alternative method?
Old 25th May 2011, 03:03 PM
Smoking Tux Online

linuxchrome

alt+f2 -> gnome-session-properties -> enter
Old 25th May 2011, 03:16 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

And, after using Smoking Tux's suggestion, why not use Alacarte and make a menu item "StartUP Apps" under System Tools (grab a purty Icon to have it show up nice-nice) So, now you've got it Gui-Style!
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:03 PM
supper Offline

linuxchrome

Mainly the default is pretty good for me. I didn't like the idea i had to log out in order to reboot or shut down until I learned that clicking your name and holding the alt button turns the suspend button into a power off button. I like this.

But with the default I like having more control over the theme, so I used the instructions here:

http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/ga...81982#/d36szax

I also wanted two more things. I wanted another dock so I could have another place to add icons. So I am using Cairo. I thought about using tint2 but it wasn't what I needed and was to much like a Gnome 2 feel. I also wanted a weather app which comes with Cairo.

Over all that is all I did. I also used the Nvidia drivers rather then Neavou since it was buggy and freezing periodically with VLC and logging out. I am sure there would have been other issues from what I have been reading.

I used these instructions that where for Fedora 14 but still work:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...ouveau-driver/

And thats all that I did other then some small tweaks and installing some programs I like rather then some of the default ones that come with Fedora/Gnome 3.

I really do like the way it is set up and the feel of it. This is very surprising to me. i really though I would be going to XFCE or even KDE. But I have been able to do what I want with it and everything is now pretty much the way I want and running smoothly and stable.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:31 PM
Culinax Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo2101 View Post
any one got working any gtk3 theme?

how to make it show in gnome tweak tool?... just adding it to "themes" folder wont work..
I've added the whole theme folder to /usr/share/themes/
In the folder of the downloaded theme there should be a folder called gtk-2.0 and/or gtk-3.0 (there might be others too, such as gnome-shell or metacity-1).
Open Gnome Tweak Tool, Interface. The name of your theme should be automatically added in the list.

If it doesn't work, try to move your theme's folder to ~/.themes
But then it's only available for you, not the other users of your computer.

I hope this helped.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

I've already found some very good tweaks here, thank you very much for that.

I've also found some by myself.

----------
Yesterday I found a site with a lot of good tweaks: WebUpd8
It gets updated daily so new extensions are still coming.

My personal favorites:
Weather Extensions: It displays the weather next to the clock.
Media Player Extension, removing Accessibility icon: Add/remove this to/from the top bar.
Mailnag: An email notifier. A good replacement for "FireTray".

There are others too, such as: displaying workspaces in top bar, a very easy theme selector (not very useful because the default theme is the best theme I've ever seen on any OS), a system monitor in top bar...

----------

Someone might have already posted this once, but there are some useful tweaks here too: Gnome Shell Extensions
Alternative Status Menu for example is a very useful one.
You can install them in terminal with this command:
su -c 'yum install gnome-shell-extensions-<name-of-extension>'

----------

For the people who don't like Gnome Shell that much, then this is something for you.
It's a pack that provides a Gnome 2 like user experience in Gnome Shell by moving the clock to the right, adding shortcuts for apps on the top bar, replaces "Activities" with the Applications menu, you can choose a predefined amount of workspaces.
They can be installed separate according to the author.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

How to change the delete key.

For some reason they have changed the delete key to Control + Delete (to prevent deleting things by accident I guess [did they ever heard of a folder called trash?])

So here's how to change it:
Open your terminal and type this in normal (!!) mode (don't use root).
$ dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/can-change-accels true
Then open "Files", click on a random folder, then click on edit and hover your mouse over "Delete", then press your delete key twice slowly (first to tell it that you'll change its key ["Delete + Del" next to "Move to Trash" disappears], then to tell it it has to be the delete key [It'll show "Delete"])
Then go back to your terminal and type this:
$ dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/can-change-accels false

The reason why you shouldn't use root is because you'll change that key in root folders only and it wouldn't affect normal usage of Nautilus. You can change it there too if you want, but if you would delete something by accident, the consequences can be very bad.

Credits go to a forgotten source. (I've read it somewhere but I don't know anymore where it exactly was)
Old 1st June 2011, 02:17 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Not sure if this has been linked before, but it's worth repeating: http://fedorasolved.org/Members/bookwar/gnome-3-tips
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 1st June 2011, 07:49 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Well, thanks to Mr Murphy, one of my desires with Gnome-Shell is now a reality.

We now have available a "hot corner" on the upper right, just above the workspace switcher. Love it! Although I've probably done myself a dis-service by asking for it. Running that mouse all over the screen was about all the exercise I get these days .. along with jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running my mouth and wantonly slinging poo.

<....>

Thanks again Finn.
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:02 PM
Culinax Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo2101 View Post
i tried moving the themes to both of this folder and it wont show in tweak-tool, it only show the default five.

i guess i will have to replace one of this.
I have just reinstalled Fedora because all those tweaks were slowing my laptop down.

And then I had the same problem as you did, those GTK themes didn't show up in Gnome Tweak Tool for some reason.

But I solved it by creating a folder in /usr/share/themes manually and then I copied all the folders that were in the original folder of the theme (gtk-2.0, gtk-3.0 and metacity-1) and pasted them into the folder I created manually. Then I deleted the original folder.
Then it suddenly showed up in Gnome Tweak Tool.

I really don't know why it doesn't show it otherwise...
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:48 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Ah yeah Dave, that's purty! But, since this is a Guide, maybe a bit more info would be important. Here's what Joe User's gonna do...
HA! Call me "Joe User", because that's EXACTLY what i did . I was going to ASK him how he did that, but seen your post .

My 1.2 cents:
Some of the "missing applications" can be found in the new menu again (like the "startup applications on login") by installing alacarte, and then re-checking their boxes on the menu editor.
Old 3rd June 2011, 04:04 PM
NCCarlos Offline

linuxfirefox

Switching between desktops used to be ctrl+alt+left or +right.

It's now ctrl+alt+up or+down in G3.
Old 5th June 2011, 11:47 AM
siwelchungster Offline

linuxfirefox

The default animation time for all the animation tweens in gnome-shell is 0.2 or 0.25. This is really quick, and for some machines results in it looking unnatural and jerky, slowing this down to around 0.4 will make it feel more fluid and natural.

To do this, navigate to /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/

Open up the respective .js files of elements you want to change the animaion times for and look for the
const variable that determines the time. Feel free to change this to whatever you want. (0.4 works the best for me in overview.js, boxpointer.js, workspace*.js, etc)
Old 5th June 2011, 06:19 PM
st2000 Offline

linuxfirefox
sloppy focus in F15

Hi...
Didn't find this anywhere so I thought I'd post it here:

Plenty of people have a hard time finding how to control sloppy focus or focus follows mouse when using fedora's defalut windowing environment. I'm not going to defend that. I think it is harder than it shoule be too! This is what I had to do after a new / clean Fedora 15 install (that's right, the tools to make the change are not even installed by default)...

1. install:
yum install gconf-editor

2. run:
gconf-editor

3. do this:
Inside of the "gconf-editor" pop up go to /apps/metacity/general. NOTE!!!! This IS NOT a directory path!!! This is the way "gconf-editor" organizes stuff inside of its self. In the right side of the "gconf-editor" pop up find the line for "focus_mode". Double click on this and change the Value to "sloppy".

I don't know why this isn't upthere in a easy to access pop up like mouse-double-click-speed and the like.

-good luck
Old 7th June 2011, 01:27 AM
COKEDUDE Offline

linuxfirefox
20 Things to do after installing Fedora 15

I thought this was a nice list of what to do after installing Fedora 15.

http://www.khattam.info/things-to-do...011-06-01.html

(Good info - merged to the main Tweaks & Solutions thread. Bob)
Old 11th June 2011, 04:39 AM
schrja Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:

Then, using the browser window you just opened, drill down to: /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/ and open metacity-theme-3.xml in an editor.

Then edit the appropriate sections as indicated below.

And:

What you end up with is: Window edges that are easier to grab, a thinner title bar across the top, and a radically changed gradient from the original theme. You can see what I've commented out between the <!-- xxx --> tags. I've replaced them with my own brand of insanity. What you do with them is entirely up to you. In short, fiddle with it and have fun. It's fedora. If you break it, you get to keep the pieces.

!
Ok, I have found other info on the net that said the same. I tried it an nothing changed. I could include the contents of my /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml file but it would be big. The following is what I think the relevant contents are:

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="4" rounded_top_right="4">
<distance name="left_width" value="3" />
<distance name="right_width" value="3" />
<distance name="bottom_height" value="5" />
<distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
<distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
<distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="6"/>
<border name="title_border" left="10" right="10" top="1" bottom="0"/>
<border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"/>
<aspect_ratio name="button" value="1"/>
</frame_geometry>

I still have the fat title bar and thin borders. Any ideas why nothing changes. Yes I have logged in and out many times.

John.
Old 11th June 2011, 07:05 PM
pilotferdi Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:

What you end up with is: Window edges that are easier to grab, a thinner title bar across the top, and a radically changed gradient from the original theme.
I might add that, if you don't want to revert to big buttons when you maximize the window, you may also want to change the following section:

Quote:

<frame_geometry name="max" title_scale="medium" parent="normal" rounded_top_left="false" rounded_top_right="false">
<distance name="left_width" value="0" />
<distance name="right_width" value="0" />
<distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
<distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
<distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="5"/> <!--
This needs to be 1 less then the
title_vertical_pad on normal state
or you'll have bigger buttons -->
<border name="title_border" left="10" right="10" top="1" bottom="0"/>
<border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"/>
<distance name="bottom_height" value="0" />
</frame_geometry>

Then, again, if you like the big buttons when you maximize the window...

Tags
f15, gnome3, solutions, tweaks