Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2011, 07:24 AM
ajayram Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Angry Fedora 14 installation black screen

Hello

I am new to Fedora . I tried installing Fedora 14 on my Hp Pavilion dm4 Laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics Card and when I booted from the live CD I had burned a little while earlier. I got the Grub menu of the Live CD . But when I selected the option to boot Fedora from the live CD. all I get is a black screen , I waited for several minutes and got nothing on the screen.

I have tried to boot from the live CD several times .. but I am just getting this black screen every time..
Can someone please help me out??
Old 30th April 2011, 08:23 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Fedora 14 installation black screen

On that grub menu you should have the option for standard graphics or something similar, try that.
Old 30th April 2011, 09:42 AM
ajayram Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

@ Ozjd :

In the boot menu. I saw this option Boot (Video Only ) I tried that and it worked.. thanks ..
Now I have a doubt how do I make the other option to work ? Do I need to install some drivers for that??
Old 30th April 2011, 06:47 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxfirefox

what is your graphic card? I think Radeon Mobility up to 5xxx series should work pretty decent with default Radeon drivers.

But you can also either follow this guide or install the driver via the ati-driver*.run package from the ati.amd.com site. For the later option you should install kernel-devel, kernel-headers, gcc, fontconfig before. After installation you should enter "aticonfig --initial" as root, then it will create or reconfigure a xorg.conf file under /etc/X11/.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:21 PM
ajayram Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Angry Re: Graphics Card Propreitary Driver not working

Hello

I have a Radeoan 5000 series graphics Card. I followed your link and installed the ATI Propreitary Driver. Now I am facing a lot of problems.

Whenever I full screen in you tube, a white screen is shown and the video playback is stopped. Also Matlab functions which make use of the GPU like contour plots, histograms etc stop working and Matlab crashes.

It looks like I was better off with my Intel Chipset Driver itself

Could you please tell me how to uninstall this ATI Proprietary driver?? Or is there anything else I can do??
Old 11th May 2011, 09:33 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

to deinstall just add 3 to the kernel boot line so that it boots linux console and then run "yum remove *catalyst*" as root.

Then you have 3 options:
1. Let them deinstalled and use the default radeon drivers.
2. follow Leights guide but choose kmod-catalyst instead of akmod-catalyst together with kernel 2.6.35.13-91
3. install kernel-devel, kernel-header, gcc and install Catalyst via the *.run package from the ati.amd.com site. Afterwards remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf and recreate it with "aticonfig --initial".

But for 2. and third option you will have to reinstall your ATI/AMD driver after every kernel update. If akmod-catalyst worked, you wouldn't have to care so much about kernel updates. For me akmod-catalyst didn't work either when I tried it.

If you installed the driver from ati.amd.com and it does not work, then deinstall it with "/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh" or with "aticonfig --uninstall"

Last edited by Fenrin; 11th May 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:45 PM
ajayram Offline

linuxopera
Unhappy Re: Fedora 14 installation black screen, looks like FGLRX problem

@ Fenrin :

I installed the ATI Catalyst Proprietary Driver from this site :-
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

This created the problems that I have mentioned in my earlier post.
Then I browsed thru the web and found the method to uninstall using the file uninstall.sh
Now everything works fine..

So looks like there is some problem with the FGLRX Proprietary Driver, For now, I can use the Intel Chipset Driver
is there any ATI forum where I can post this thread and maybe find a soluton??
Old 12th May 2011, 08:26 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

I doubt that any ATI/AMD forum or phoronix.com forum will be of much more help.

So did you install kernel-devel and kernel-headers before you installed the Catalyst driver? And I forgot to mention that you need kernel-devel-PAE if you use a PAE kernel (check it with "uname -r". And you also have to run "aticonfig --initial" as root afterwards.
Old 24th May 2011, 07:51 AM
ajayram Offline

windows_7opera
Angry Re: Fedora 14 on boot. black screen

@ Fenrin :

I have already installed the kernel-devel and the kernel-header packages. I followed this thread :-
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=255987

Then after runnning this command
Code:
bash ./ati-driver-installer-10-11-x86.x86_64.run
it prompted me to restart. So I did that. and after that.. I cant log into Fedora anymore. After selecting the Boot option. It shows the boot progress with the "Fedora 14" label on the right hand side bottom. But after that, all I get is a black screen.. and I am forced to shut down forcibly.

This is irrirtating, at least in Ubuntu it used to boot. Here it shows just a black screen..!!
Multiple restarts do not help. Could someone tell me how to boot without using the Graphics Card but only the Intel Chipset? Is there anyway to do that??
Old 24th May 2011, 11:37 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

after the installation of the proprietary AMD/ATI driver, you still have to run the command "aticonfig --initial". Then it will configure the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for you. Without properly configured xorg.conf file the proprietary driver cannot work.

You can add 3 to the boot line in the grub menu, then it will boot into console mode. Then you can configure your xorg.conf file properly with above command. If you wanted to configure more than 1 screen, it would be another command.
Old 24th May 2011, 01:00 PM
ajayram Offline

windows_7opera
Unhappy Re: Still black screen

@ Fenrin :

I booted into the command mode and then ran the command "aticnfig --initial" as root. it gave me a result like "saving old configuration to /etc/X11.org" . then I restarted in the boot window and still i get a black screen.and i m forced to do a shut down by pressing the power button! Multiple restarts do not work..

Can you please clarify??
Old 4th June 2011, 08:35 PM
ajayram Offline

windows_7opera

Helo,

I went into the command mode and removed the ATI Proprietary Driver by running the uninstall script. Now my display is back to normal and it works perfectly fine. So looks like there is a problem in the Proprietary Driver.

Could someone please clarify?? Or is there any other Proprietary / Open Source Driver available??
Old 5th June 2011, 12:49 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

hi,

IMHO the driver from ati.amd.com is more reliable than akmod-catalyst or kmod-catalyst from the rpmfusion repo. You just have to reinstall it after every kernel update. If the akmod-catalyst driver worked, you wouldn't have to reinstall it. But sometimes the akmod-driver does not built the kernel module like it should.

I always use 64 bit kernel, I can't say for sure if the PAE kernel even work with the ati-install*.run installer. But I have no idea which kernel you use
Old 5th June 2011, 01:40 AM
stoggy Offline

windows_7firefox

When you installed the ati drivers did you do it in the gui or the console?

If you install in the gui it can fail and not tell you about it. There are more dependencies then just kernel-devel and kernel-headers.

Try installing in them in a command line. You will need to switch to runlevel 3. If the gui window things come up, you are still in X.

If you are in X, open a terminal, Gnome-terminal or xterm or aterm or...
at the command line type:
telinit 3

If you still cant boot: Go to the grub boot screen hit "e" the default boot option should be highlighted. Hit "e" again and it will show you the lines that make up this boot option. Highlight the 2nd line, "kernel..." and hit "e". your cursor should be at the very end of the line, type "<spacebar>3". It should show the end of the kernel line and then " 3" [*notice the space*] at the end of the line. hit "enter" and then hit "b" this will boot to a command line login where you can install the ati drivers. Ill bet you are still missing some dependency and the install is failing. So it cant init graphics in runlevel 5

the X developers STOLE stdin, stdout and stderr so we can't see what is going on.

Tags
black, fedora, installation, screen