Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th April 2011, 01:04 AM
rjmyers Offline

macossafari
Question dual-booting x86 and x86_64 versions...

I've recently put together a nice computer system that has an I7-960 processor, 24 Gb ram, graphics card with 1 Gb DDR3 memory, wireless card, a 1 Tb hard drive, 20" monitor, and keyboard/mouse in an Antec 902 Gamer case with Antec 1000w power supply.

I initially loaded Fedora 14 and had no issues with the 32-bit DVD install. I thought I'd try installing the 64-bit install, and had no problems with it -- but did notice a drop in available
repositories/binaries.

Question is this: can I put a 2nd disk drive (1 Tb or higher) into my case and install both versions of Fedora 14, one on each drive? I've seen write-ups on doing dual-boot with
Windows 7, but I'd like to do the same with two versions of Fedora and be able to switch
between the two.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 27th April 2011, 01:27 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Re: dual-booting x86 and x86_64 versions...

The answer is yes. Install one, then the other.

But plan the boot loader arrangement in advance. By default, Anaconda (the Fedora installer) will install the GRUB boot loader in the master boot record of the first hard drive. That will bust the existing boot loader arrangement (which could be okay, if it's what you want). But to prevent that from happening, choose the boot loader option to install GRUB in the first sector of the Fedora boot partition. Finish the installation and reboot. Nothing will appear to have happened, but the new system will boot when you configure the existing boot loader to boot it. I recommend that you sort that mess out in your head before you start.
Old 27th April 2011, 04:22 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I've recently put together a nice computer system that has an I7-960 processor, 24 Gb ram, graphics card with 1 Gb DDR3 memory, wireless card, a 1 Tb hard drive, 20" monitor, and keyboard/mouse in an Antec 902 Gamer case with Antec 1000w power supply.
Does sound nice - tho' I'm glad I'm not paying your poewr bill.

Quote:
I initially loaded Fedora 14 and had no issues with the 32-bit DVD install. I thought I'd try installing the 64-bit install, and had no problems with it -- but did notice a drop in available
repositories/binaries.
Huh ? You can install and run 32bit apps on the 64bit distro. ALL (give or take a couple) packages are available from the Fedora repo and you can install from other 32bit repos.

You don't nees and probably don't want the 32bit distro.
Old 27th April 2011, 02:12 PM
rjmyers Offline

macossafari
Smile Re: dual-booting x86 and x86_64 versions...

Ok...I'll give it a shot. So do you then enter the 32-bit repositories
manually into the system? It appears that I only see 3 or 4 repositories right now
with the 64-bit system.

-Bob
Old 27th April 2011, 06:33 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There are 32-bit packages for some/most packages in the 64-bit repos. Just append .i686 to the package name when using yum to get the 32-bit version. e.g.

yum install glibc.i686

SS
Old 28th April 2011, 03:56 AM
rjmyers Offline

macossafari
Smile Re: dual-booting x86 and x86_64 versions...

Thanks for all of the help. I went to the Set-Up guides area and followed the RPM FUSION info. Looks like I'm now set up properly and have started downloading programs that I'm interested in.

Appreciate it a lot!

-Bob

Tags
dual-boot, fedora 14, install