Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > F15 Development > F15 Rants - Talking To The Wind
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

F15 Rants - Talking To The Wind A place to gnash your teeth and vocalize your issues with F15, such as the default Wallpaper, Gnome3 and LibreOffice. Sure, the proper procedure is to use Bugzilla or subscribe to the Devs mailing lists at Fedora Project, but if you simply want to complain with no effect, here's your spot!

Old 25th April 2011, 11:46 PM
Wayne Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: GNOME3: This is your brain on drugs

I just reinstalled mint 10 over Kubuntu. what a mistake that was, as soon as the new Kubuntu is out in a couple of days, I'm installing that! I don't know what motivated me to nuke a perfectly usable system, perhaps nostalgia? I can't wait FIVE months for the Mint team to released Mint 11 KDE!

Not coherent this morning. Dragged myself out of bed early to go for my usually 2 monthly blood test
Old 26th April 2011, 12:12 AM
Piscium Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxn3t View Post
What's wrong with Windows 7? In many areas Windows 7 is better than Linux, Windows 7 is stable, nice looking, and fast, so what's with all the hatin? ; )
+1

It was only after I started using Linux on a regular basis (about 1 year and 9 months ago) that I began to appreciate Windows more, and see its good points. Yet, in spite of all the faults and blemishes of the Linux desktop, playing with Linux and interacting or observing the community is quite an experience, unmatched in Windows - at least for me.

For example, by following mailing lists and forums I can recognize the names of a few dozen open-source or Linux developers or members of the Linux community, while in spite of using Windows for years I would recognize the name of at most a single Microsoft developer.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:33 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't hate Windows as such, I just hate the company behind it. As an ex OS/2 user I have not-so-fond memories of the tactics they used to keep their monopoly and make sure software writers did not code for anything else but Windows and PC makers not offer anything else but Windows on their machines! These memories have not faded with the passing of time!
Old 26th April 2011, 12:47 AM
VastOne Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I don't hate Windows as such, I just hate the company behind it. As an ex OS/2 user I have not-so-fond memories of the tactics they used to keep their monopoly and make sure software writers did not code for anything else but Windows and PC makers not offer anything else but Windows on their machines! These memories have not faded with the passing of time!
I would absolutely die to have seen OS/2 Warp grow into it's potential..

I was using Warp 4 running a massive BBS with 16 lines and QWK Blue Wave RA mail before the Internet was a twinkle in anyones eye.... It served as an information outlet for problem solving things like pkunzip, shez, fff, dos 3, microsoft, ibm etc etc... With keyword search capabilities that was updated hourly...

gee this sounds like, like, like.... hmm what is that company that is the king of this now? ogle oogl something like that....

I miss OS/2... It was such a joy to work with...
Old 13th May 2011, 08:43 PM
c1arkn0va Offline

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweed View Post
Fired up the beta live disc to take a look. WTF? No, really, WTF?

I already have an iPhone and an iPad. This interface is good for those devices...not here.

GNOME2 was very usable and practical.

Huge step backwards here folks...dump it.
Disagree. My wife LOVES the new Gnome interface. She would be the definitive non-technical user and for the first time finds her laptop useable and intuitive. She's tried all sorts of OSes I've thrown at her from various distros ( for the record she hates unity) she didn't like being pidgeonholed by OSX, hated the maze of Windows-hell and absolutely loves Gnome 3. It's a wonderful olive branch for ease and useability.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:23 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Well then! If peace to a single household brings, then worthy is it indeed for the gname of Gnome! <....>

On a more serious note, give me a hot-corner bump-point in the upper right corner to bring up the overlay, just like the upper left corner, and we're dang near in business.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:27 PM
c1arkn0va Offline

linuxsafari

Peace is an understatement

It's like I've renovated the house she's so happy with it
Old 13th May 2011, 09:39 PM
bApTizE Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastOne View Post
Gnome 3 was the reason I moved to Fedora from Ubuntu/Unity
GNOME 3 is the reason i rid myself from game addiction on windows 7.
Thanks to GNOME 3 and Fedora, i owe you one

Last edited by bApTizE; 13th May 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:56 PM
sillav Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

I was a former hater, but I like the gnome apps nautilus and evolution so much, I just decided to deal with it. I've discovered you can actually customize a fair bit, and there is going to be much, much more ability to customize it coming down the pipe. From what I've seen and read, the entry barriers to customizing the interface are much lower than in previous iterations, meaning the pool of people who will be tinkering and tweaking will be much larger and improvements will come much faster.

All opinions of course, but hey, this is the section for it.

Also, at work I sometimes find myself just throwing the mouse in the top left corner when I want to find a window, then I remember on on Windows and it doesn't work like that. Shame. It has very quickly become second nature to jam the mouse up top left or hit 'windows' key, 't' then 'enter' and have a terminal pop up.

If it wasn't for the people on the F15 dev forum, rahul and the Arch gnome 3 wiki, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it. But they've helped soften all the sharp edges of gnome 3 that bugged me at first.
Old 14th May 2011, 04:03 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxopera

Tried RC3 on VBox so of course it went to fall-back mode. Good reminder why I dropped Gnome from F10 onwards, may give it a go again in couple years or so.
However, on a positive side, everything looks very polished and consistent in few configuration options that Gnome has left. Same stylishness didn't quite carry over to desktop default theme though but guess there's no accounting for taste...
I can imagine that the new fancy "Gnome experience" will be perfect for many (new) users who prefer looks over functionality and individuality (just like OS X). I wonder if wearing turtle neck is a privilege solely reserved for Mac users, if it is, then I can see the new Gnome crowd adopting their own dress-code.
I'll just stick to XFCE, and Xmonad as fallback, although I quite like the new KDE as well after using it on my BT5 on my laptop for a days now.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 14th May 2011, 12:30 PM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillav View Post
I was a former hater, but I like the gnome apps nautilus and evolution so much, I just decided to deal with it. I've discovered you can actually customize a fair bit, and there is going to be much, much more ability to customize it coming down the pipe. From what I've seen and read, the entry barriers to customizing the interface are much lower than in previous iterations, meaning the pool of people who will be tinkering and tweaking will be much larger and improvements will come much faster.

All opinions of course, but hey, this is the section for it.

Also, at work I sometimes find myself just throwing the mouse in the top left corner when I want to find a window, then I remember on on Windows and it doesn't work like that. Shame. It has very quickly become second nature to jam the mouse up top left or hit 'windows' key, 't' then 'enter' and have a terminal pop up.

If it wasn't for the people on the F15 dev forum, rahul and the Arch gnome 3 wiki, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it. But they've helped soften all the sharp edges of gnome 3 that bugged me at first.
This is pretty much my exact experience too. I'm using Gnome3/Shell a lot now, as I'm excited for the features that will come in time as it matures and I've already done some customizations with the Tweak tool and applied the Dark Glass theme for the overall shell.

However I just love using it now, its like second nature. It's actually damn fast when you get used to the way Gnome Shell does things and it's design philosophy.
Old 15th May 2011, 02:14 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

macoschrome

I don't care for GNOME 3. Changed to KDE4.
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:16 PM
tickinghd Offline

linuxfirefox

I am flirting with Fedora because of GNOME <3 and because I have some new hardware that play best with the newest bits.

Fedora 15 is quite nice and it does not come default with the we-will-fix-it-next-release Unity UI.

Tags
brain, drugs, gnome3