Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > F15 Development > F15 Rants - Talking To The Wind
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

F15 Rants - Talking To The Wind A place to gnash your teeth and vocalize your issues with F15, such as the default Wallpaper, Gnome3 and LibreOffice. Sure, the proper procedure is to use Bugzilla or subscribe to the Devs mailing lists at Fedora Project, but if you simply want to complain with no effect, here's your spot!

Old 22nd April 2011, 07:55 AM
rweed Offline

macosfirefox
GNOME3: This is your brain on drugs

Fired up the beta live disc to take a look. WTF? No, really, WTF?

I already have an iPhone and an iPad. This interface is good for those devices...not here.

GNOME2 was very usable and practical.

Huge step backwards here folks...dump it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:01 AM
skyxn3t Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: GNOME3: This is your brain on drugs

I agree but there's nothing you can do about it, so pointless thread, and this has already be discussed to death on many threads, ie:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=259442
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=259779

there's also a section for this kind of topics, it's called the "Rants and Things that make you scream", this is for Fedora 15 development, NOT rants. Switch to another distro or Stick with Fedora 14 which will be maintained for another 7 months...
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:05 AM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox

Moved to F15 Rants - Talking To The Wind

Gnome3 is the reason I moved to SL6
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:30 PM
VastOne Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post

Gnome 3 was the reason I moved to Fedora from Ubuntu/Unity
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:57 PM
lextori Offline

linuxfirefox

Same here Vast.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:30 PM
Piscium Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post

I flirted with SL6, but eventually decided to continue with Fedora, though switching from Gnome 2 to Openbox.

When I tested SL6 I had problems with multimedia, such as when streaming my favourite radio station, the sound would somehow stop after a few minutes.

Is multimedia working well for you on SL6? Also how do you handle the different repos? Do you use yum-priorities?
Old 25th April 2011, 12:17 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Fedora 15
Fedora 14
Scientific Linux 6
Centos 5.6
Debian 6
Use 'em all. Keeps me busy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 25th April 2011, 01:44 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

If using SL6 enable the rpmforge repos for RHEL6.

That should take care of the multimedia issues.

If using openbox on Fedora, however, you will avoid all the Gnashing of Gteeth. about Gnome3.

If using openbox on SL6, you'll probably have to compile it, though once CentOS 6 comes out, KB Singh will probably make an rpm--he's made them for CentOS 5.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Meanwhile, just for fun, I gave Gnome 3 another try in a virtual machine to see if it works there yet. (It doesn't.)

I had to laugh at the message though.
Quote:
This most likely means your system (graphics driver or hardware) is not capable of delivering the full Gnome 3 experience
Is it just me, or is that as pretentious and annoying as an Apple ad? I freely admit it could just be me in a grouchy mood.
The Gnome 3 experience? Judging from this forum, I'm not missing all that much.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:53 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't think you're missing much I tried it on my laptop, where I got the full "experience" for what it was worth! For once I was happy to reboot into Windows 7!

I've been using KDE 4.6 on this machine (Kubuntu something or other) but miss the simplicity of Gnome 2.3x. KDE is nice but there's too much "going on" for want of a better description. Tried the Live ArchBang thing too and also a Live E17 but find there's something "missing" and Xfce just doesn't quite get me excited enough to want to use it... For the first time since 1994 Windows is looking more and more like an option

Been thinking about reinstalling Mint 10 here.... Put that disk down!

Last edited by Wayne; 25th April 2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 25th April 2011, 02:21 AM
tox

linuxchrome

i know what you mean about XFCE, i tried 4.8 but didnt get me excited enough to use it on a daily basis. and KDE is great for a fallback for when Gnome3 isnt working but thats all. , im not terribly fussed about E-17 , but soon enough there wont be much of an option unless someone develops a New DE or LXDE improves a lot more than it is now
Old 25th April 2011, 02:32 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxfirefox

Yep, I've looked at LXDE too but that isn't an option either. Linux "choices" seem to be shrinking in terms of usability for me.

You'd think the Gnome devs would have learned something from the "spatial mode" fiasco. I was using spatial mode before they were a twinkle in their dad's eye and it sucked then as much as it sucked when the Gnome devs suddenly thought it was a good idea! Users got angry and they had to put it back, through gconf-editor at first, then as an option in Nautilus. Even KDE 4 users got miffed when the KDE devs took away the option to have desktop icons but they soon put it back via the "Folder View" setting! Maybe given time and enough user backlash the Gnome devs might eventually treat the users as adults and being capable of making their own usability decisions and put some of the customisability options back. But then maybe I'll win the lottery first
Old 25th April 2011, 10:32 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxfirefox

I love Gnome 3. I've used it more than 1 month almost daily. If I switched back to Gnome 2, I would need several hours to get completely accustomed to Gnome 2 again.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:11 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

I'm getting used to it but I just wish there was a bottom task bar and an intelligent menu system. And that top left corner thing? Don't like it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 25th April 2011, 08:14 PM
skyxn3t Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I don't think you're missing much I tried it on my laptop, where I got the full "experience" for what it was worth! For once I was happy to reboot into Windows 7!

I've been using KDE 4.6 on this machine (Kubuntu something or other) but miss the simplicity of Gnome 2.3x. KDE is nice but there's too much "going on" for want of a better description. Tried the Live ArchBang thing too and also a Live E17 but find there's something "missing" and Xfce just doesn't quite get me excited enough to want to use it... For the first time since 1994 Windows is looking more and more like an option

Been thinking about reinstalling Mint 10 here.... Put that disk down!
What's wrong with Windows 7? In many areas Windows 7 is better than Linux, Windows 7 is stable, nice looking, and fast, so what's with all the hatin? ; )

I tried Mint 10 but I found it to be a bit unstable, just like Ubuntu...

Debian 6 uses Gnome 2.3x and they are not going to switch to Gnome Hell 3.0 until the release of Debian 7 in 2013, so you still have 2 years of Gnome 2.3x goodness with Debian.
You can also stay with Fedora 14 which will be maintained for another 8 months from now or maybe try other distros that still ship with Gnome 2.3x like SL6, etc...

Personally I'm sticking with Fedora 14, in 8 months a lot could happen so I'm not in a rush to switch to another distro yet...
Old 25th April 2011, 09:17 PM
eclipse76 Offline

linuxchrome

I've just created an account to rant here about my frustation. Don't mind me.
(note: I've been converted to Fedora since F10, I was on Ubuntu and Debian before. Always used GNOME too).

Fedora 15 beta:

Good things:
- Startup is hella faster.
- Gallium3D/nouveau with my Geforce 6150 is great. Thanks to the dev.

Bad things: GNOME 3. What-the-frak?!
Random rants:
- Why the frak can't I move the dash to the right side of the screen?
- Why do I need to go to the top left of the screen to do anything
- Why my name is always displayed on the top of the screen?! I f*** know my name.
- Why the application list is such a mess?
- Why can't I hide the top bar which is clearly a has no use!
- Why the name of the current app iw written next to Activities?! The app has already a frakkin Titlebar! And why does this second title has a 'Quit' menu? There's already a big red button for this!
- Why can't I minimize/hide a window? And where can I bring it back quickly?
- Where do I reboot my computer?!
- Why can't I move or remove the clock?
- Why is IM stuff in the same menu that System Parameters and Session related stuff? That makes no sense at all.
- Why is 'Preferred applications' in the System Information panel?
- Where do I quickly access recent documents? or quickly go to a Places like Music?
- Why do I need to move my mouse so much to do simple task?
- Why do I need to click 3 times to launch an app?
- Why moving windows is so slow?
- Why Nautilus still have no preview or useful info about a file on a side panel?!
- Why isn't my Delete key not working in Nautilus?!!!
- Why does it crash so much? And why can't I switch to a TTY when GNOME-Shell is crashed!!!
- Right-clicking is too difficult for users?
- Why have they designed a whole bottom bar only for Notifications and messaging tray?! So much space wasted for something that is barely used. It could have been nice to put an Application launcher here.

Things ok:
- It's not ugly, but there is only one theme for now.
- Yeah windows tiling... after more than 10 years of poor windows management, we have tiling, but only vertical one

Also from the Design FAQ:
Quote:
The Shell is designed in order to minimise distraction and interuption and to enable users to focus on the task at hand. A persistent window list or dock would interfere with this goal, serving as a constant temptation to switch focus.
Do they think users are retarded or something? Who in their right mindwould think that a window lists is a temptation to be distracted? I woudl rather say that always keeping an IM status is the top right corner is a bigger temptation!

TL;DR: I'm mad

Tags
brain, drugs, gnome3