I've just created an account to rant here about my frustation. Don't mind me.
(note: I've been converted to Fedora since F10, I was on Ubuntu and Debian before. Always used GNOME too).
Fedora 15 beta:
- Startup is hella faster.
- Gallium3D/nouveau with my Geforce 6150 is great. Thanks to the dev.
Bad things: GNOME 3. What-the-frak?!
- Why the frak can't I move the dash to the right side of the screen?
- Why do I need to go to the top left of the screen to do anything
- Why my name is always displayed on the top of the screen?! I f*** know my name.
- Why the application list is such a mess?
- Why can't I hide the top bar which is clearly a has no use!
- Why the name of the current app iw written next to Activities?! The app has already a frakkin Titlebar! And why does this second title has a 'Quit' menu? There's already a big red button for this!
- Why can't I minimize/hide a window? And where can I bring it back quickly?
- Where do I reboot my computer?!
- Why can't I move or remove the clock?
- Why is IM stuff in the same menu that System Parameters and Session related stuff? That makes no sense at all.
- Why is 'Preferred applications' in the System Information panel?
- Where do I quickly access recent documents? or quickly go to a Places like Music?
- Why do I need to move my mouse so much to do simple task?
- Why do I need to click 3 times to launch an app?
- Why moving windows is so slow?
- Why Nautilus still have no preview or useful info about a file on a side panel?!
- Why isn't my Delete key not working in Nautilus?!!!
- Why does it crash so much? And why can't I switch to a TTY when GNOME-Shell is crashed!!!
- Right-clicking is too difficult for users?
- Why have they designed a whole bottom bar only for Notifications and messaging tray?! So much space wasted for something that is barely used. It could have been nice to put an Application launcher here.
- It's not ugly, but there is only one theme for now.
- Yeah windows tiling... after more than 10 years of poor windows management, we have tiling, but only vertical one
Also from the Design FAQ:
The Shell is designed in order to minimise distraction and interuption and to enable users to focus on the task at hand. A persistent window list or dock would interfere with this goal, serving as a constant temptation to switch focus.
Do they think users are retarded or something? Who in their right mindwould think that a window lists is a temptation to be distracted? I woudl rather say that always keeping an IM status is the top right corner is a bigger temptation!
TL;DR: I'm mad