Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 15th April 2011, 08:34 PM
iammik Offline

linuxopera
F14 recent problem, worked before -Creative sound distorted in VLM & no sound Youtube

Hi all,
Everything was working pretty well before, but after I did some package updates (which included a new kernel) - the sound in VLM player became distorted (as in metallic grinding/echo) and there were no sound in flash in my browsers. The similar sound was originally only happening in VMWare and I just stopped using it. There was some issue with gst earlier that was fixed. Rhythmbox works though.

I followed a thread
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=225660
it removed a bunch of stuff like pulseaudio and other things and reinstall. I have also tried to use the older kernel. I can temporarily resolve the VLM distortion by switching the speaker settings. Here's the order that works for a few minutes once the sound starts echoing.

Start with sound preferences -> hardware -> settings for selected device
go from analog surround 4.0 output
to analog surround 4.1 output (this gives a metallic grinding sound)
back to analog surround 4.0 output (this returns to normal)
after a few minutes it starts echoing again.

Fedora 14 64-bit
Q9550 8 GB DDR2
Creative X-Fi Titanium

I'm not sure what I need to help resolve this problem. If there is any info I can print out, please let me know.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Update - changed the VLM tools -> preferences -> audio settings -> output module to alsa audio and it seems to work.

Youtube in Mozilla and Opera are still missing.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I found out that I just needed to reinstall totem.

yum install totem

did the trick. I guess it was uninstalled.

Last edited by iammik; 15th April 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more info

Tags
update package