Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th April 2011, 07:32 PM
itsjustarumour Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Remove NVidia card and replace with ATI card - how-to then boot to Desktop?

Hi all,

My setup is/was Fedora 14 (KDE Spin) with an NVidia GT240 graphics card, using the proprietary NVidia driver and the Akmod kernel.

Unfortunately my graphics card just died, so I've removed it and put in the only spare card I had lying around - an ATI Radeon 5750 - and now the Desktop won't load.

Checking the verbose output on boot, it appeared to be stopping at half way through and complaining about something to do with Akmod. So I did a

Quote:
yum remove akmod-nvidia
and rebooted, but now the verbose output shows the boot-up process as stopping at:

Quote:
Starting jexec servicesRegistering binary handler for Windo[OK]cations
I'm really not sure where to go from here - I would have thought swapping a graphics card from NVidia to ATI would be possible, but I've spent some time with "my friend Google" and can't find any how-to guides for this scenario, nor can I find anyone else who's actually done this. I'm not looking to install the Catalyst driver, just to get up and running with a Desktop using the default open-source ATI driver.

Can anyone offer any advice, or point me to a how-to? Or am I trying to attempt the impossible? I feeling a bit cautious at this point as I don't want to risk wrecking my installation (a production machine with loads of important data), so if theres a high risk of breaking stuff then I might just have to go out and buy a new NVidia card, although I'd like to avoid that expense if I can...

Cheers in advance for any wisdom that anyone can offer,

itsjustarumour
Old 14th April 2011, 07:41 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Remove NVidia card and replace with ATI card - how-to then boot to Desktop?

did you remove or modify your xorg.conf file yet?
Old 14th April 2011, 08:35 PM
itsjustarumour Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Remove NVidia card and replace with ATI card - how-to then boot to Desktop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
did you remove or modify your xorg.conf file yet?
Aha - thanks Fenrin - backed up xorg.conf then created a new one - that did it! Cheers