Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th April 2011, 06:00 AM
wt6g Offline

linuxchrome
Smile ETrade Pro

Hello All,

This thread is about ETrade Pro and running it under Fedora. I have just started using it and of course there is a somewhat rough interface between ETrade Pro and Linux. It's not bad. Most of it works - but not all of it.

So to save trouble for others I decided to post my successes and failures.

If you find something that does not work, please post it here. If you get something to work, do the same.

/Len
WT6G

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Several sections of ETradePro require starting a browser. In my setup, which was an entirely default installation, ETradePro created a folder "data" in my home directory. Inside the "data" folder there was a file ending in <yourusername>.cfg

This is the configuration file for the program running under yourusername (ETrade)

In the file you can make comments by prefixing them with #

Several lines call for a path to your browser. These are:

IEXP
NETS
Browserpath

Presumably IEXP and NETS are paths to Internet Explorer and Netscape, while Browserpath is the generic default browser path. Out of the box, HELP and Feedback do not work (and probably more) because the entries are wrong for the all of the above.

I made the following changes:

#IEXP=iexplore.exe
IEXP=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome

#NETS=netscape.exe
NETS=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome

#Browserpath=Browserpath=rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler
Browserpath=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome

With these three lines modified, the aforementioned links in ETradePro start Google chrome and the correct data (instead of an error message is displayed).

It is possible that you can use your systems default browser by using htmlview as the entry for each of these entries in the configuration file, but I did not test this. I use most browsers, but Google chrome is my current toy. It's low graphic profile makes it a great browser for small popup windows in the much larger environment of ETradePro.

/Len
Old 12th April 2011, 06:32 AM
murenti Offline

linuxchrome
Re: ETrade Pro

Hi,
I also ran into problems with Etrade Pro but the easiest solution is to use Virtualbox and run it natively. It solves all of the problems and works excellent.
Old 7th February 2014, 04:18 PM
jdmeissner Offline

linuxchrome
Smile Re: ETrade Pro

Having had trouble to get Etrade Pro to work in the past, I recently gave it another try and I am running Etrade Pro without any modifications on a Fedora 19 KDE desktop with Chrome as a browser. So far, so good.

Tags
etrade, etradepro, stocks