Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th May 2004, 11:32 PM
hmathew Offline

Cannot add new item to this menu

I cannot add to the launch bar.

When I navigate to (RH) --> Internet --> Right-Click : Entire Menu : Add new item to this menu is grayed out, even when logged in as root.

I also tried adding launcher to applications:/// in nautilus, and I get "The destination disk is read-only"

I can add launchers to the desktop or the bottom bar, just not the launch menu....

Any suggestions are appreciated.

MH
Old 26th May 2004, 11:45 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

Did you see the question about menu editing in the f.a.q: www.fedorafaq.org/#editmenus

Last edited by Jman; 22nd June 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 27th May 2004, 12:08 AM
steelgrave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by foolish
Did you see the question about menu editing in the f.a.q: www.fedorafag.org/#editmenus
Is that fedorafaQ or fedorafaG? (You're link is broken)
Old 27th May 2004, 12:26 AM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

My god, that's an embarrassing typo. Please, don't register fedorafag.org and put my picture up there. I have the flu I think, well, I have something I'm sure and it's getting late. So sorry, will never happen again.

It's of course; www.fedorafaq.org/#editmenus
Old 27th May 2004, 12:35 AM
wolveso Offline

I was talking to someone on IRC about this today.. it seems your options are limited. It's a sorry state of affairs really.. either dive into some complicated configuration files and risk breaking things globally, or just forget about it for now at least. I saw on a mailing list somewhere that this feature had been disabled for Fedora, but with no real mention of why or a workaround. It's annoying when you can't perform any useful operation like adding, deletion or even renaming of menu options. Oh well : )
Old 27th May 2004, 03:59 AM
hmathew Offline

Really?!

I find it hard to believe that it is completely disabled...

It works fine in my Gnome 2.6 Solaris environment, so maybe you're right.

I'll keep looking though..

MH
Old 27th May 2004, 06:18 PM
wolveso Offline

Far as I can tell.. check this thread out for more detail anyways..

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00209.html
Old 22nd June 2004, 05:03 AM
RuiP Offline

and how about folders?

editing (add/delete) is almost simple... but how you do for folders? How can I change an icon or delete a undesired folder? MPlayer was installed (besides the right place...) on |-> System Setting |-> Multimedia and |-> Preferences |-> Multimedia! And I can never find a way to give a icom for MPlayer under gnome... since this launcher don't seems to 'live' under /usr/share/applications...

any ideas? lots of thanks
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:29 AM
Jman Offline

Erm, my mplayer is only in its rightful place, Sound & Video. It has a .desktop entry as /usr/share/applications/freshrpms-mplayer.desktop.

About typos, they're what the edit button is for. I fixed foolish's.
Old 22nd June 2004, 12:26 PM
RuiP Offline

Thanks for your reply.

Well, i dont have nothing like *player*.desktop at /usr/share/applications/ and if my memory is right i installed MPlayer (and Opera, with the same symptoms...) before I install apt... meaning by hand from rpms downloaded probabily from mplayer site... Yours are freshrpms-versions builded especially for FC2... I must check my disks for the rpms and see what as been done at installations (I could uninstall and re-install using apt, but mplayer is working so fine and i'm curious...)

thanks again... i'll let you know if I can track the thing!
Old 22nd June 2004, 05:17 PM
Jman Offline

Just run
Code:
locate mplayer.desktop
and you should find it. Or the Main Menu > Search for Files thingy under Gnome.
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:41 PM
RuiP Offline

thanks

I had find the .desktop doing rpm -qlp mplayer-gui_2:1.0pre4-4_i386.rpm > install.list and look at the output... but thanks a lot! I knew which, whereis and find... but knew nothing about locate. What a great command! (Im new to linux... and I hate the linux Search for files thingy, as you call it)

I downloaded the rpms direct from mplayer site and gmplayer.desktop was installed on /etc/X11/applnk/Multimedia. And the line "icon=..." was missing.

Change (or add) icons is just cosmetic... But i want to DELETE folders. I had 4 (four!!) duplicates Multimedia/mplayer + 4 Internet/Opera around my menus (some under such apropriate stuff as 'Server settings') Even if delete lauchers the folders, empty, stays on menus. And delete the folders on that path dont make it disapeare .

Gnome is so simple and intuitive for the user why as one goes an inch under the surface it becames so wild, fragmented and contra-intuitive? I finally found the right folders at /usr/share/gnome/apps/ and/or (check it) /etc/X11/applnk/. If someone has the same problem, just (re)move them from that path. (And don't forget to add the launchers of removed folders to /usr/share/applications)

Changes will only be made after you login again... and BE CAREFUL, my .ICEauthority file at my personal folder at home loose ownership and group to root (and make gnome session crash at start. check it before logout!!) good luck.

and thanks again, Jman, for your quick answers!

EDIT: I writed the wrong path to delete /Internet/Opera folder! Sorry, now is correct.

Last edited by RuiP; 28th July 2004 at 01:47 AM.

Tags
add, item, menu