Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th April 2011, 06:18 PM
gabrieldepaula Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
How to use the fedora 14 hostname in the URL of the apache server??

Hey everybody!

Im looking for help, 4 days ago i started the mission to call my GLPI system from a hostname URL... i dont want use the IP address... but im dont know what i do!

I have Fedora 14 installed on VirtualBox running with the network interface bridge mode, fix IP address and in the dns server the name that i want is already registered... i have direct access to the network and the apache and mysql works fine... and here in my office we have a windows 2K3 domain controller and all the computers are logged in the domain... i dont know if i have to put the fedora linux in the domain or just configure something to work...

Someone can help me? i dont know if i was cleare...

Today for use the glpi system i have to put in the URL bar: http://192.168.0.1/glpi/

but i want: http://fedoraserver/glpi/

i allready look for the samba configuration to put fedora into domain, but dont works...

Thanks!
Old 7th April 2011, 12:14 AM
bodhi.zazen Offline

unknownunknown
Re: How to use the fedora 14 hostname in the URL of the apache server??

You can run a DNS server , dnsmasq would work, point your windows boxen to the fedora box for dns, or you could add the fedora server to your hosts file on your 2 windows boxes.

Adding to the hosts file is trivial so long as it is only 2 boxes and 1 server.

If it gets to be much more then that , go with dnsmasq (run dnsmask on the fedora server).
Old 7th April 2011, 04:26 AM
hefeweizen Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: How to use the fedora 14 hostname in the URL of the apache server??

The windows 2k3 domain controller you mentioned is probably already configured to serve DNS for your domain. The path of least resistance is to use it.

That said, I can offer no advice on how to configure it.

Tags
apache, fedora, hostname, server, url