Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:10 PM
motnahp00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Exclamation Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

I am trying to establish a static IP address using the instructions I found at:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/02/...a-14-laughlin/

I cannot find this file in Fedora 14:

Code:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Auto_eth0
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:31 PM
marko Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Laurel, MD USA
Posts: 6,062
linuxfirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

it's easier to just run system-config-network as root and make the IF static in the Edit page for the device

but btw the file is ifcfg-eth0 not ifcfg-Auto_eth0 in that directory

This is a place where I prefer the gui tools because if a small change is made to the networking system, the
system-config tool will be updated to do the right thing instead of the user editing the script raw ignorant of the
new behavior.

Last edited by marko; 3rd April 2011 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:34 PM
motnahp00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
it's easier to just run system-config-network as root and make the IF static in the Edit page for the device

but btw the file is ifcfg-eth0 not ifcfg-Auto_eth0 in that directory
Thanks for the lightning fast response marko. I'm familiar with sytem-config-network. I just wanted to explore some alternatives.

The ifcfg-eth0 file doesn't exist either.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:40 PM
marko Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Laurel, MD USA
Posts: 6,062
linuxfirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motnahp00 View Post
Thanks for the lightning fast response marko. I'm familiar with sytem-config-network. I just wanted to explore some alternatives.

The ifcfg-eth0 file doesn't exist either.
yeah, if it doesn't exist s-c-n will make it, if you really want to edit it by hand in vi for some reason you can make it with s-c-n and then edit it yourself
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:47 PM
motnahp00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
yeah, if it doesn't exist s-c-n will make it, if you really want to edit it by hand in vi for some reason you can make it with s-c-n and then edit it yourself
I'll give that a shot right now. Thanks marko.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

The VM I am running this instance of Fedora 14 doesn't detect a network adapter even though I'm posting this message.

This is a "to be continued" project until I get back to the States to test it on a physical box.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:02 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 731
unknownunknown
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

You can configure an ipaddress from the command line with ifconfig

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uifconfi.htm

See the examples at the bottom of the page.

If you are using a Desktop, ie a graphical interface, use network manager.

If you are on a server, not running X, or not using networkmanager, and you want to perminantly set a static IP, you will need to edit your config file as advised. You can use vim, nano, or any editor you like.

See also:

http://blog.zloether.com/2009/07/set...entosrhel.html
__________________
If it is not broken, tweak it... If you break Fedora you get to keep both pieces :p
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:04 PM
motnahp00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
You can configure an ipaddress from the command line with ifconfig

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uifconfi.htm

See the examples at the bottom of the page.

If you are using a Desktop, ie a graphical interface, use network manager.

If you are on a server, not running X, or not using networkmanager, and you want to perminantly set a static IP, you will need to edit your config file as advised. You can use vim, nano, or any editor you like.

See also:

http://blog.zloether.com/2009/07/set...entosrhel.html
Thanks bodhi.zazen!

You answered my other post which was inadvertently closed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:10 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paris, TX
Posts: 23,279
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

Ahem!

Inadvertent, my rosy red rump! Alfred closed it due to duplicate posting, which is a documented no-no. One thread per topic per customer at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:29 PM
motnahp00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Configure a Static IP Address (Fedora 14)

This post was asking how to configure an IP using a text file. The other post was how to do so using a syntax.

If Alfred felt it was a duplicate, I'm okay with it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
static ip fedora 14

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to set static ip address on Fedora 12? King0 Using Fedora 7 22nd February 2010 10:37 PM
Cannot get a static IP address to work in Fedora 11 ttx336 Servers & Networking 10 8th November 2009 09:10 PM
Fedora 10 DNS information gets lost after changing IP address to static abakalidis Servers & Networking 5 17th April 2009 10:25 PM
Fedora 8 - can not set static IP address nbc Servers & Networking 6 9th December 2008 06:14 PM
The static address can't work. Fedora 8 problem. czp Servers & Networking 15 13th November 2007 08:41 AM


Current GMT-time: 08:41 (Thursday, 23-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Rolling Meadows Photos on Instagram - Bac Ninh Travel Photos - Oadby Travel Photos