Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2011, 03:40 PM
Conz Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question FC15 Alpha ... and then what ?

Normally I don't bother with alpha/beta releases but this new kernel in FC15 peeked my interest.
I need a home LAMP server but I am wondering how it will go if I install the alpha FC15 when the Beta / Final get released.
Can you just 'yum update' from alpha to beta to final or will this be more tricky ?
I'm guessing the impact will be smaller then going from FC14 to 15.

Worst case I can just put 2.6.38 on FC14 but I'd rather stick to the newest release possible.
Old 28th March 2011, 03:46 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: FC15 Alpha ... and then what ?

Hi

Yes. Just yum update would work

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrad...lease_to_final
Old 28th March 2011, 03:52 PM
DBelton Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yes, the alpha/beta will be updated to the final when it's released by doing yum updates. It's passed the rawhide stage (rawhide is what will become F16 now), so it's using the same standard repo's that the final will use.

I would recommend using F15, but be warned and aware that quite a lot has changed in it, like using systemd instead of upstart for system startup/service management and the gnome 3 shell. Some like the changes, and some don't. Myself, I find it harder to use than F14, and simple tasks in F14 take longer to accomplish in F15. I am sure this will change as time goes by and more people write tools and utilities for the new stuff in F15.

You may want to scan over the forum threads in F15 Development and see what issues/problems people have been having with it, and then make up your mind to go ahead with F15, or stay with F14.
Old 28th March 2011, 04:56 PM
troyatlarge Offline

linuxfirefox

With respect to yum updates, at this time there are some packages that do not update and the --skip-broken feature seems to not work around some of them for some people (hey, its in Alpha state, right!). As such I tried the suggestion of a user to install Yumex so one can relatively fast select packages in a way to remove the offending packages so the system will then update - not sure if that's of any help to you, but something to keep in mind for the moment.

UUID: 5a0128f0-55b8-11e0-b31d-eb482d4d1d3a
Old 28th March 2011, 05:06 PM
DBelton Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I am one of the ones that --skip-broken doesn't seem to be working with right now.

If there are broken packages, and I use --skip-broken, yum goes into an infinite loop checking dependencies over and over.. and over..... and over..... until I go in and kill it. (I let it run for nearly 15 minutes the other day, looping over and over)
Old 28th March 2011, 05:08 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxfirefox

there are also newer images of F15 available than the alpha images. If you want the gnome live cd version, you can download this image here from testday march 24th.
Old 28th March 2011, 05:10 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
I am one of the ones that --skip-broken doesn't seem to be working with right now.

If there are broken packages, and I use --skip-broken, yum goes into an infinite loop checking dependencies over and over.. and over..... and over..... until I go in and kill it. (I let it run for nearly 15 minutes the other day, looping over and over)

I don't see a bug report filed on this yet. I can't reproduce your problem so you will have to file it yourself and post the output of yum -d9 update --skip-broken on the report
Old 28th March 2011, 05:58 PM
DBelton Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

now this is interesting.

I tried running yum -d9 update --skip-broken to gather more information to file a bug report, but when I do so, it doesn't loop, but ends with this after all the package errors without updating anything:

Skip-broken could not solve problems
loads of package errors related to libreoffice
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Oh well, my system is a magnet for quirky stuff anyway, so I'll do some more looking around and see what I can find out.
Old 29th March 2011, 06:02 AM
kurtdriver Online

linuxfirefox

I have been able to update the last couple of days even though --skip-broken doesn't work for me either. I just excluded the broken ones on the command line.
Code:
yum update  --skip-broken -x libreoffice-* -x NetworkManager-* -x mencoder -x control-center -x anaconda -x empathy -x libsocialweb -x  geoclue
Old 29th March 2011, 12:39 PM
Conz Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

usually a 'yum clean all' fixes weird yum problems for me.

In either case, thanks for the answer on the updating alpha -> release.
Old 29th March 2011, 03:37 PM
kurtdriver Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
usually a 'yum clean all' fixes weird yum problems for me.
That won't resolve dependency problems, though.