<---- template headericclude ----->
No LaTeX installation manager (tlmgr) after installing TeXLive
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question No LaTeX installation manager (tlmgr) after installing TeXLive

I installed TeXLive on Linux (Fedora 14) but I don't know how to add additional LaTeX packages that are available from CTAN (Comprehensive TeX Archive Network) easily. It seems TeXLive has its own package manager called "tlmgr" but I could not activate it or find it through "yum search". Is there an easy way to install additional Latex packages besides the manual method stated in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/La...0on%20packages? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: No LaTeX installation manager (tlmgr) after installing TeXLive

I don't know the particular situation under Fedora but the Ubuntu developers didn't put the tlmgr into the TeXlive packages, what was extremely annoying, this could be the same under Fedora. The best way to install TeXlive is to get the installer or the DVD-image (I think from CTAN) and install it manually, it updates itselft via tlmgr so you don't really have to worry plus it tends to be more recent than the version from the official repositories. Also you then have the tlmgr so you can install the latex-packages via command line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: No LaTeX installation manager (tlmgr) after installing TeXLive

Thanks! I will follow your suggestion to install TeXlive manually without using "yum".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, feimingchen,

This is just a suggestion for another method you might wish to try ... It's actually easy and the instructions provided are straightforward:

http://blog.irrepupavel.com/2007/02/...es-sty-on.html
    "How to install LaTeX Style Files (.sty) on Ubuntu, using TeTeX or Tex Live." 4 Feb. 2007.

I have added several LaTeX packages this way (under different Linux distros) and it worked fine for me.

HTH and Good luck,
    =david
    Fedora 37 (LXQt Spin) // Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: No LaTeX installation manager (tlmgr) after installing TeXLive

Thanks!

I will probably have to install LaTeX add-on package manually because I have failed to install TeXlive manually (for three times). The error message I got is:

Code:
    Installing [1467/2232, time/total: 45:09/01:04:54]: passivetex [44k]
    ./tlpkg/installer/xz/xzdec.i386-linux: (stdin): Unexpected end of input
    tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
    tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    untar: untarring /usr/local/texlive/2010/temp/passivetex.tar failed (in /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist)
    untarring /usr/local/texlive/2010/temp/passivetex.tar failed, stopping install.
    Installation failed.
    Rerunning the installer will try to restart the installation.
    Or you can restart by running the installer with:
      install-tl --profile installation.profile [EXTRA-ARGS]
    Writing log file to current working directory.
    Note I uninstalled everything related to TeXLive in the Fedora Linux package manager before I embark on this manual install of TeXLive, in the hope of getting its own package manager "tlmgr" to work. I did this manual install in root account.

It looks like I have to install the TeXllve provided by Fedora 14 and install those add-on packages manually.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I realized I was trying a full installation of TeXlive previously ("scheme-full" from running $ ./install-tl ), which may be why I failed. I tried a less aggressive installation, installing only "basic scheme" and hand-pick a few collections from the <C> option (standard collections). Then I was able to get successful installation of TeXlive.

By the way, I also checked all the boxes in the <O> options, the last one of which ("create symlinks to standard directories") relives me of creating a custom PATH to the TeXlive executables.

I am able to run "tlmgr" now! To run its GUI version, I installed "perl-Tk":
    Code:
    $ yum install perl-Tk
    Then, under root account,
    Code:
    $ tlmgr gui
    will bring up the GUI of the TeXLive package manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defolos
    I don't know the particular situation under Fedora but the Ubuntu developers didn't put the tlmgr into the TeXlive packages, what was extremely annoying, this could be the same under Fedora.
    "Extremely annoying" it is until you learn the reasons. The reasons, as I understand them, are: installation and maintenance of any packages installed from the OS repositories should be performed by the OS dedicated programs -- not the installed package itself!

This applies to many distros, and this is why in Fedora, Gentoo, and now you are saying, Ubuntu, TeXLive own package manager is turned off by default. To me this is sound decision.

I suppose feimingchen initially used TeXLive installed from still unofficial Fedora TeXLive repo. Despite all of its ups-and-downs (and there were some), I have been heavily relying on using Fedora TeXLive, practically daily, since Fedora 13. The repo sole maintainer, Jindřich Nový, is quite approachable and helps to resolve problems when you encounter them.

My suggestion thus is: install TeXLive from the Fedora TeXLive repo, read the documentation, there are two places where it is located, both on Fedora Project site:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Features/TeXLive

and do not hesitate to bring the issues related to installation and maintenance of TeXLive Fedora packages to the Fedora Forum. This will allow TeXLive fedora users to share their experience, and somebody may be able to help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariusz: Thanks for your suggestion! I read the links you provided. It seems an add-on latex package might be found through "yum" command, yet I tried the one mentioned in the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive and got no result:

Code:
    $ yum install 'tex(epsfig.sty)'
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Adding en_US to language list
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    updates/metalink                                              |  17 kB     00:00     
     * fedora: archive.linux.duke.edu
     * updates: archive.linux.duke.edu
    updates                                                       | 4.7 kB     00:00     
    updates/primary_db                                            | 4.0 MB     00:08     
    Setting up Install Process
    No package tex(epsfig.sty) available.
    Error: Nothing to do

$ yum search 'tex(epsfig.sty)'
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Adding en_US to language list
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * fedora: archive.linux.duke.edu
     * updates: archive.linux.duke.edu
    updates/pkgtags                                               |  57 kB     00:00     
    Warning: No matches found for: tex(epsfig.sty)
    No Matches found
    Is there special tricks I am missing that can help me search and find the specific LaTeX add-on packages available from CTAN? For example, several latex packages I need are:
    Code:
    noweb
    tikz
    flexisym
    breqn
    mhsetup
    xfrac
    empheq
    Thanks!