Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th March 2011, 08:28 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
though im sure Japan can afford to build a New one
Yeah and it's the taxpayer that picks up the bill for the government's mistakes!

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5Nut View Post
The following comment(s) clearly come from a politically-charged context, but will be offered as cleanly and non-politically as possible.

My fear here is that this power plant's situation (that is, the plant was fine, but this natural disaster unduly harmed the plant) will be picked up and run with by the anti-nuclear crowd.

"Nuclear power is unsafe because of natural disaster." That's about as logical as "Electricity is dangerous because someone can get electrocuted because they stuck their finger in a light socket.
What gets me is not why Japan needs nuclear power but who the hell decided to build it on the Pacific side of the country near a major fault line! How much money changed hands to get that approved! See my comment above to Gregg about government policy, sorry, I meant idiocy!

But let's not stray into politics for fear this thread gets closed!
Old 13th March 2011, 08:36 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Yeah and it's the taxpayer that picks up the bill for the government's mistakes!
someone has to pay for it, bit like the NBN thats being rolled out here in australia, , but at least japan can make money from there new infrastructrure to pay off there debts, anyway i'll leave it at that . lets get back ontopic
Old 13th March 2011, 08:51 AM
Wayne Offline

macosfirefox

This just in:

There's a 70% chance that in the next 3 days we'll have a Richter magnitude 7 or greater aftershock. Shocks over 5 may last 150 days. An RM7 quake is potentially devastating!
Old 13th March 2011, 09:06 AM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

As I understand it, if the reactor does fail, a lot will depend on the prevailing winds. ' Least worst ' scenario would be strong winds from the north-west which would carry the bulk of the radioactive plume out to sea?
Old 13th March 2011, 12:01 PM
AlexDudko Offline

linuxsusefirefox

]I live just some 120 kilometers from Chernobyl, and I don't wish you have Chernobyl-2
Old 13th March 2011, 02:06 PM
Wayne Offline

macosfirefox

There's a live bilingual conference going on now by knowledgeable people:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iwakamiyasumi

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

There are rumours the French embassy is advising its nationals to get out of Kanto!!!

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

From the French embassy translated by Google:

1. Casualties

New provisional toll : at least 10,000 deaths (source: Police Miyagi)

2. Nationals points:

Of the 137 French nationals present in the North East region, most affected by the earthquake, 116 were contacted and were unhurt. The crisis of the Embassy makes every effort to get in touch with the 21 that are left today with no news.

Miyagi: 77 of 93 people identified

Iwate: 5 out of 10 identified

Fukushima: 19/19

Aomori: 15 out of 15 people identified

France sent a team right now over a hundred people from the Civil Protection in Japan, to lend support to the Japanese authorities and assist them in their relief work.

3. Point Nuclear

Two scenarios are currently possible:

A supervised plants defective, in which case the risk is that of residual contamination associated with controlled release of radioactive gases, with a negligible risk for the city of Tokyo. This scenario is currently favored by the Japanese authorities and by many scientists.
Or does the explosion of a reactor with release of a radioactive plume. This plume can be in Tokyo within a few hours, depending on the direction and wind speed. The risk is that of contamination.
The critical period is three to four days to come.

Due to the shutdown of part of nuclear power, power cuts are announced, such as the late afternoon.

4. Recommendations:

The Japanese Meteorological Agency is to report the probability of another earthquake force 7 located in the northern Kanto. This probability is 70% within three days and 50% within days.

Given the foregoing (the risk of a major earthquake and uncertainty over the nuclear issue), it seems reasonable to advise those who do not have a specific reason to stay on the Tokyo region of s it away from the Kanto region for a few days.

We strongly advise our nationals to travel to Japan and we strongly recommend to postpone any planned trip.

The school will be closed for three days until Wednesday included, to allow inspection of premises following the earthquake.

The Embassy continues to follow closely the developments in contact with both Paris and with the Japanese authorities.

We advise our nationals to follow the instructions at all times of the Japanese authorities. It is particularly advised our citizens living in areas close to packing plants in their home (must be cut ventilation systems), and they can do when supplies of bottled drinking water and food for several hours. When carrying essential, it is necessary to wear a respirator.

We recall that the absorption of iodine capsules is not a trivial matter. Repeated use in excess can be hazardous to health. It is therefore very important to choose the right moment to absorb when it becomes necessary. Again, it should follow the advice of the Japanese authorities and our own instructions that we will provide.

The Embassy will not fail to inform his countrymen if new instructions were required.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

The Germans are advising people leave the country if they can, especially if they have young children!
Old 13th March 2011, 02:09 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

http://energyfromthorium.com/2011/03...arthquake-qa1/

No idea of its accuracy though.
Old 13th March 2011, 04:00 PM
Wayne Offline

macosfirefox

No word from the Brit embassy though, but that's to be expected. Bit of stiff upper lip and bend over and think of England!

---------- Post added 14th March 2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 13th March 2011 at 10:21 PM ----------

More info on the reactor problem:

http://allthingsnuclear.org/tagged/n...g-more-3-13-11
Old 13th March 2011, 04:57 PM
Salamandra Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Glad to see you're fine Wayne.

I wouldn't trust the government, if you don't like what you hear be the first one leaving.

Good luck.
Linux User #365705
Old 13th March 2011, 07:18 PM
John the train Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Wane, in your post #95 you mentioned 10,000 dead. On the BBC site one of their people reported 10,000 ' unaccounted for ' in the port of Minamisanniku (?) Evidently the situation is still confused - not helped by language issues.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:52 PM
shess01 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi Wayne,

When I heard about the quake I immediately thought about you and if you were ok. I know, you don't even know me but that is why they call it a community, right? Glad you are doing well enough, Android has an earthquake app that I run mostly because my wife and daughters are in Peru. It started going crazy a couple of days ago as you can imagine.

Anyway, Groklaw newspicks listed a blog link of a gentleman in Kawasaki that he posted regarding the reactors in Japan and nuclear power in general. Have only started reading but seemed informative enough to share with everyone here.

Glad you are safe. Our thought and prayers go out to the people of Japan.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:59 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

This is an educational link:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...r-tsunami.html
Old 13th March 2011, 09:19 PM
John the train Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for that Dan, the ground level and aerial pictures show the chaos, but to see whole built up areas that have been effectively wiped off the face of the earth really brings the scale of the disaster home.
Old 13th March 2011, 09:54 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

You're welcome. It does add a perspective.

I caught a report a little while back that said they've also got a volcano brewing again. Wouldn't take too much more to start feeling a little picked on.
Old 13th March 2011, 10:49 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The reactor 3 of Fukushima 1 even contains some plutonium I read. Some experts say this is considerable worse than uranium.

If one reactor releases huge amounts of radioactive materials it would be hardly possible to do work on the other reactor of this nuclear power plant.

Hopefully everything will work out fine in the next few days.