Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2011, 01:14 PM
Teibidh Offline

windows_7ie
LiveCD-Tools customization question...

I'm not positive if this is the right place to ask questions about the LiveCD-Tools project, but since it is part of the distro and this is the LiveCD folder, I figure it's as good a place to start as any:

My question I hope is pretty straight forward, I've figured out a lot through trial and error, but this escapes me: How do I modify parameters that are passed to the kernel from my Kickstart file? Specifically, I want to remove the default 'quiet rhgb' entries from the kernel command line? I have found that I can modify the livecd creator scripts themselves to get this done but for reasons I would hope are obvious this isn't an ideal situation... I also don't want to have to decompress the image, make changes, and recompress it, as this image is being built at multiple sites. Is there something I can slap in the kickstart or is this something that needs to be done in the %post section with sed or what?
Old 4th March 2011, 08:55 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: LiveCD-Tools customization question...

The relevent part of anaconda seems to be around line 276 of /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pyanaconda/packages.py

Code:
    # Only add "rhgb quiet" on non-s390, non-serial installs
    if iutil.isConsoleOnVirtualTerminal() and \
       (ts.dbMatch('provides', 'rhgb').count() or \
        ts.dbMatch('provides', 'plymouth').count()):
        anaconda.bootloader.args.append("rhgb quiet")
given that and:

Code:
$ rpm -q --whatprovides plymouth
plymouth-0.8.4-0.20100823.7.fc14.x86_64
$ rpm -q --whatprovides rhgb
plymouth-system-theme-0.8.4-0.20100823.7.fc14.x86_64
I would try adding -plymouth and -plymouth-system-theme to the bottom of the kickstart file (thereby 'subtracting' the packages) and see if that gives the desired result.

Otherwise, your idea of doing it in a %post section might work. Just create a minimal package that just does the sed and make it Depend on the kernel (so the kernel gets installed first). Not as elegant but sounds like it should work.

SS

Last edited by SiliconSlick; 4th March 2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: make clear the additions (with minus signs) are actually subtractions
Old 6th March 2011, 01:58 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

First off, are you trying to create a LiveCD that excludes those options when it boots or a LiveCD that excludes those options when it installs the OS to the hard drive?

If the former, then I think you were on the right track with using kickstart %post.

I decided to play with what I suggested using the stock Fedora LiveCD kickstart and realized that won't work. At the end of the day, that particular collection of packages includes gdm which will include plymouth and invalidate any minus packages listed.

So I played with %post and came up with this:

Code:
# cat uglyboot.ks 
%include fedora-livecd-desktop.ks  
%post --nochroot
for rhgbfile in EFI/boot/isolinux.cfg EFI/boot/grub.conf isolinux/isolinux.cfg
do
  echo "# uglifying $LIVE_ROOT/$rhgbfile"
  echo "# uglifying $LIVE_ROOT/$rhgbfile" >> $LIVE_ROOT/$rhgbfile
  sed -i -e's/ rhgb//g' -e's/ quiet//g' $LIVE_ROOT/$rhgbfile
  echo "# uglified $LIVE_ROOT/$rhgbfile" >> $LIVE_ROOT/$rhgbfile
done
%end
That creates a LiveCD just like the stock one (with updates) that boots up with all the gory details on display. Note, however, that if you install the OS to the hard drive using this LiveCD, that the installed OS will still have rhgb quiet. This just eliminates it while booting the LiveCD.

You can strip out the echo statements (obviously). I was trying to figure out what exactly was going on since it seemed at first that the two isolinux.cfg were the same file but it turns out they aren't after the first write or so (e.g. using some type of copy-on-write filesystem magic during construction). With the debug echos, I got this:

Code:
> grep ugli EFI/boot/isolinux.cfg 
# uglifying /var/tmp/imgcreate-m15TLx/iso-qg20f6/EFI/boot/isolinux.cfg
# uglified /var/tmp/imgcreate-m15TLx/iso-qg20f6/EFI/boot/isolinux.cfg

> grep ugli isolinux/isolinux.cfg 
# uglifying /var/tmp/imgcreate-m15TLx/iso-qg20f6/EFI/boot/isolinux.cfg
# uglifying /var/tmp/imgcreate-m15TLx/iso-qg20f6/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
# uglified /var/tmp/imgcreate-m15TLx/iso-qg20f6/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
which seems to back that up... they are the same file when the EFI name does its thing and then different with the isolinux parts run. Just something to be aware of (they _are_ the same file until the first write and then they aren't).

SS
Old 7th March 2011, 01:42 PM
Teibidh Offline

windows_7ie

Wow, thanks for the investigation time. And I was afraid sed would be the answer, to be honest, I've been fiddling with Linux since '94 and have managed to avoid learning how to use it thus far cause for some reason regex scares me. No time like the present, I suppose.

Tags
customization, livecdtools, question