Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st April 2011, 09:30 AM
tox

linuxchrome
Re: Impressions of F15 so far

doesnt surprise me if it is delayed, as i said, its not ready and im sure i said about 7 or so months ago dont be surprised if there is a 2.34 release

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

i wouldnt take it as a Joke though, if you have been looking on Koji there has been 2.91.93 and 2.91.94 releases which means its not ready , question is, what will we see, a Gnome3 gnome3-panel with gnome2 as final? i gues time will tell

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

if it is true, this could put Fedora's beta in Jeopardy

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

nore do i think SystemD is ready primetime for Gnome3 yet either

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

GDM still needs work, cause i get " other " instead of my username popup
Old 1st April 2011, 09:40 AM
tuxor Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
Has been a known issue for quite a long time now:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=678236
Old 1st April 2011, 12:13 PM
twohot Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
Hmmm, I've learnt to overlook that and type in my username <enter> pwd <enter> .... I mean, its Linux right? I was actually expecting the 'neat/cool' GDM greeter design they posted during the mock-ups. The present one has no visual connection with the graphics that follow after login.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:30 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Hmmmmm.

What day is it?
Old 1st April 2011, 12:50 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Ooooookey dokey!

Just updated. As expected, it required the enforcing=0 append to the kernel line in order to boot. This was not a surprise. Finding that all the adjustment/customizations I have painstakingly wedged into Gnome 3 over the last week have been sent into the intergalactic bit-bucket, and Network Manager still will not hook up to an open but hidden network, then promptly crashes when you try to teach it some manners via the network dialogue ... which will still not accept input, was unexpected, but not entirely surprising.

Having both dconf and dconf-editor both segfault when attempting to start them from the terminal was a rude surprise.

So ... what I'm left with here, as far as I can tell, is one T-totally duck-flubbed install. Having had no feedback from the numerous and varied bug reports I've filed against this jolly mess indicating anyone actually wants further input to solve these issues, and being heartily sick swapping HDDs in and out of this laptop ... it's come to that time.

At this juncture, there is no way I can do any serious work now on adapting or attempting to adapt Gnome 3 into something that I can and would be willing to put to personal or business use in this install. Things are still just a bit too dicey for that.

Perhaps I will try again when this gets closer to release. In the meantime ... Dream Linux has a beta out. We shall see what that has to offer.

F15 Alpha ... Adieu.
And kiss goodby to kiosk mode and read-only root, and live CDs - ass all three will now require a rw root with that /run garbage. There was a REASON /var was created - a read/write area not on the root filesystem, and systemd evidently isn't capable of handling mounts properly if it requires /run to be on the root filesystem.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:56 PM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
And kiss goodby to kiosk mode and read-only root, and live CDs - ass all three will now require a rw root with that /run garbage. There was a REASON /var was created - a read/write area not on the root filesystem, and systemd evidently isn't capable of handling mounts properly if it requires /run to be on the root filesystem.
You could read the thread about it

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ch/150031.html
Old 1st April 2011, 01:02 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Missed that... And I read the archives just yesterday afternoon.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:54 PM
troyatlarge Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
I read your link - and it seemed to make sense to me to some degree as to why they created /run. However, I must admit, why exactly this would be a political issue is completely beyond me - by all means, lets hear a bottom line explanation.

Loaded Beta, ran fine until after the update and then would not load as pointed to above in various post. I choose to go into /etc/selinux/config and change the selinux setting. It intrested me to discover it would not load if I disabled, but would in permissive. This ran a bell in my head about one of the biggest Linux exploits ever wherein the worst and most exploitable stance was having selinux=permissive (I'm sure some of you recall those few days). Hopefully it will be fixed soon, although i have yet to see any updates today.

UUID: 5a0128f0-55b8-11e0-b31d-eb482d4d1d3a
Old 1st April 2011, 02:07 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

My vote is that it is a joke. Who, in their right mind, would make such an announcement on April 1rst? If it were genuine, I would wait just that ONE day (or hours at this point).
Old 1st April 2011, 02:38 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
My vote is that it is a joke. Who, in their right mind, would make such an announcement on April 1rst? If it were genuine, I would wait just that ONE day (or hours at this point).
It was announced yesterday and change was made a day before that. No joke.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:40 PM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyatlarge View Post
I read your link - and it seemed to make sense to me to some degree as to why they created /run. However, I must admit, why exactly this would be a political issue is completely beyond me - by all means, lets hear a bottom line explanation.
Old time unix people certainly tend to oppose anything new in /. This change was agreed upon by all the major distros and core software developers. So it has been given careful consideration and hence opposition is practically non existent.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:57 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

That's one of the most clearly explained changes I've seen. If only they were all that clear and straightforward.
Old 1st April 2011, 04:28 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
Old time unix people certainly tend to oppose anything new in /. This change was agreed upon by all the major distros and core software developers. So it has been given careful consideration and hence opposition is practically non existent.
I also agree that the change is a very valid and good change. even if it does open up a flame war and it does break something that I have been using for the past 10 years or so.

I have been noticing the increasing use of /dev as a dumping ground for things that shouldn't be in there and this change is the perfect opportunity to get /dev cleaned out.
Old 1st April 2011, 04:59 PM
mwesten Offline

linuxmintfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyatlarge View Post
Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
I'd also like to find out more about these implications in particular.

Thanks!
Old 1st April 2011, 05:30 PM
kiddokun Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

April Fool's. Here are some hints:

From http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/...cheduled.html:
Quote:
The recent announcement that the Mozilla project would discontinue support for embedding has cast doubts on the technical underpinnings of the new GNOME shell.
This alone should be enough to convince you. The Shell uses no part of Firefox/Gecko. And if anything, in the past two years, every app under the sun has been migrating from Gecko to Webkit.

Quote:
The release team is also concerned about the possible near-future release of GTK4
...come on

Quote:
The release is being delayed for a full 6 months to avoid scheduling problems for our downstream distributors. During this 6 month period, we will reopen module proposals in the usual way. We are particularly encouraging module proposals from alternate desktop shells, which will be given careful consideration.
A nice jab at Canonical not shipping GNOME3 anyway

Quote:
The level of the quality of the code is at the highest that it has ever been and there is no doubt that we will easily have the best desktop on the planet by September 2011
The tone says everything.

Quote:
The GNOME desktop is used by millions of people around the world. GNOME is a standard part of all leading GNU/Linux and Unix distributions, and is popular with both large existing corporate deployments and millions of small business and home users worldwide.
Emphasis mine. At least they're honest and can laugh at themselves

Need more proof?
André Klapper's post on planet gnome today is titled "Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей!"

Tags
f15, impressions