Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2011, 03:51 PM
beny Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Cool Adding french keyboard

Hi!

I have a french laptop with french keyboard but I have installed fedora 64 with english keyboard.
Now I would like to have both keyboards and to be able to switch between them any time I want.
How can I add the french keyboard to my system? In windows I can switch between them and I can add language and keyboard anytime I want. I suppose is possible in fedora 64 too. Is anybody who knows something about?
Old 25th February 2011, 04:34 PM
didier83 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Adding french keyboard

It depends of the desktop environment you use.

1- KDE.
Menu->Settings->Sytem Settings->Hardware->Input Devices->Layouts

2-GNOME
I'm not a gnome user, but googling gives tons of possible solutions.
eg: http://library.gnome.org/users/user-...yboard.html.en
Old 25th February 2011, 04:34 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

linuxfedorafirefox

2-GNOME
========
System->Preferences->Keyboard, click on Layouts tab, click Add... button and select your new keyboard then click on the Options... button. Scroll down a bit and click on `Key(s) to change layout' and check the box(es) corresponding to your preferred key shortcut. Click on Close on both the Keyboard Layout Options and the Keyboard Preferences windows.
If you installed from a live image, you may not have the program installed, I am not quite sure. If you don't have it, you can install it with
Code:
yum install control-center
Old 25th February 2011, 05:31 PM
Mariusz W Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by beny View Post
Hi!

I have a french laptop with french keyboard but I have installed fedora 64 with english keyboard. Now I would like to have both keyboards and to be able to switch between them any time I want. How can I add the french keyboard to my system? In windows I can switch between them and I can add language and keyboard anytime I want. I suppose is possible in fedora 64 too. Is anybody who knows something about?
You installed Fedora with (some, probably default) English keyboard layout: the actual keyboard is still the same French keyboard.

Others already said how to add/change keyboard layouts, You will have to be prepared that, since your laptop has a French keyboard, when you switch to an English layout, Latin letters and several ASCII characters are going to be in locations different from a standard US PC keyboard (unless you are willing to remap lots of keycodes, and I would advise against doing that unless you are a touch typist).

Tags
adding, french, keyboard