Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2011, 02:46 AM
Divit11 Offline

windows_7firefox
Question No useable disks have been found

Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to install FC14 64 bit to my Window 7 64 bit system. This new system has a 6.0 Gb/s internal hard drive.

When I reboot with the F14 install disk I have made it past the disk verification (is Verified) and then picking a language but then I get the message "No usable disks have been found".

In Win 7, the Disk Management window shows that 184 GB of space are free.

Is there some disk preparation that I should do to make this space available? Any guidance or links would be appreciated.

Divit11
Asus P7P55D-E LX MB w Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz; C M Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler; Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM; EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Card; WD Caviar Blk WD1002FAEX 1TB HD; LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer; OCZ Pro OCZ600W PS; 2x Asus VS238H-P LED Monitors; OS: MS 7 Hm Prem 64 bit & Fedora-20-x86_64
Old 25th February 2011, 02:59 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: No useable disks have been found

it shows 184GB free, but what kind of partitions do you currently have on the drive. If you already have 4 primary partitions, then you have reached the maximum number for that drive.

(by default now, Windows 7 will use 2 primary partitions. There are ways to get it to only use 1, but most installs it uses 2, and if you have a system restore partition, it uses 1, and diagnostic partition uses 1, etc...)

can you post an image of what windows disk manager shows for that drive?
Old 25th February 2011, 02:59 AM
jrummy27 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The error you are receiving is an indication that anaconda (the Fedora installer) couldn't find *any* disks, as opposed to just not finding free space. Even if the drive were completely utilized, it would allow you to proceed to the partitioning section and free up space as needed. The fact that it tells you "No usable disks have been found" means there is an issue with drivers getting loaded or storage devices being set up. Your specs don't seem like anything the Fedora kernel shouldn't be able to handle, so I'm surprised.

Have you tried the LiveCD to see if theres any difference there?

You could try (before the installation fails) switching to virtual terminal 2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) to get a prompt and poke around, if you know what to look for. If you know what module your storage device requires, you could see if its loaded (lsmod) or try to load it (modprobe). Or you could check 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' and 'fdisk -l' to see if your device is even listed.

If those don't give you any hints as to whats wrong, you could maybe grab the storage log from /tmp (I think its /tmp/storage.log) and transfer it off somewhere, and either upload it here or file a bug at https://bugzilla.redhat.com.

Aside from that, I'm afraid I don't have any ideas as to what could be causing your issue. If you are able to collect any of the above info and want to paste it here, it might help us narrow down what is going wrong.

Last edited by jrummy27; 25th February 2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 25th February 2011, 03:06 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

you do have a good point jrummy27. Fedora usually does give a different error if it sees the drive but can't find space on it.
Old 25th February 2011, 03:31 AM
Mariusz W Offline

windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divit11 View Post
When I reboot with the F14 install disk I have made it past the disk verification (is Verified) and then picking a language but then I get the message "No usable disks have been found".
I experienced this with just once computer. Slightly less than a year ago I tried to install Fedora 12 on a 5 year old HP xw9300 Workstation with four Opteron double core CPUs and four 15,000rpm SCSI disks, forming a RAID array in OpenSUSE, installed on that machine some 3 years ago (I inherited the machine from my friend, a respected expert in scientific computing: he gave me his old machine and moved to a newer one).

Exactly the same behavior when I tried to install the then current versions of OpenSUSE, Mandriva or Sabayon. Only Debian lenny didn't suffer from this behavior -- apparently due to older version of the driver(s) needed by

Code:
SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI
while all the other distros used the more recent version that apparently didn't support that chip.

I never was able to figure out what could be done with this, so that this impressive (and heavy like hell) box has been a useless piece of furniture since last Spring.

Anybody having any suggestions?
Old 25th February 2011, 03:47 AM
jrummy27 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariusz W View Post
I experienced this with just once computer. Slightly less than a year ago I tried to install Fedora 12 on a 5 year old HP xw9300 Workstation with four Opteron double core CPUs and four 15,000rpm SCSI disks, forming a RAID array in OpenSUSE, installed on that machine some 3 years ago (I inherited the machine from my friend, a respected expert in scientific computing: he gave me his old machine and moved to a newer one).

Exactly the same behavior when I tried to install the then current versions of OpenSUSE, Mandriva or Sabayon. Only Debian lenny didn't suffer from this behavior -- apparently due to older version of the driver(s) needed by

Code:
SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI
while all the other distros used the more recent version that apparently didn't support that chip.

I never was able to figure out what could be done with this, so that this impressive (and heavy like hell) box has been a useless piece of furniture since last Spring.

Anybody having any suggestions?
Sounds possibly like a bug in the driver, if using an older version allowed it to work. If you are looking to troubleshoot it still, I'd start by checking 'dmesg' to see if there are any tracebacks or errors related to that device or driver. Or check bugzilla.redhat.com for similar issues.
Old 25th February 2011, 03:49 AM
Divit11 Offline

windows_7firefox

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the Fedora 14 64 bit Live CD with the same results.
I am attaching a screen shot of the Disk Management window (hope this works).

I'm really struggling to learn Win 7 since my last trusty pc has been sharing XP and a stream of Fedora releases.

D

Edit: Well my jpg attachment didn't attach. Now I'll have to get the manual out and learn how to do this first. Grrrrrr.
Asus P7P55D-E LX MB w Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz; C M Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler; Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM; EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Card; WD Caviar Blk WD1002FAEX 1TB HD; LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer; OCZ Pro OCZ600W PS; 2x Asus VS238H-P LED Monitors; OS: MS 7 Hm Prem 64 bit & Fedora-20-x86_64

Last edited by Divit11; 25th February 2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Attachment did not attach
Old 25th February 2011, 04:07 AM
Divit11 Offline

windows_7firefox

Trying to post the attachment.... Didn't notice that I had a oversize image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskLayout (1).jpg
Views:	879
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	20742  
Old 25th February 2011, 04:11 AM
jrummy27 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Partitioning looks fine, as far as I can tell. As mentioned, I don't think its a partitioning problem but rather a problem with the kernel or drivers.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

In addition to my earlier suggestions for data gathering, 'dmesg' would be good to run during install (or from the livecd) and capture the output to see if there are any errors.
Old 25th February 2011, 06:51 AM
Divit11 Offline

windows_7firefox

Finally figured out how to do dmesg but not sure what to focus on there.

I did a cat /tmp/storage |more and at the bottom of the last screen there was some reference to DEBUG storage Optical Device.teardown; sr0 ; status: true

I also did a cat /proc/scsi/scsi and there was only this reference:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi 0 Channel: 00 ID: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATAPI Model: iHAS424 B Rev: GLI5
Type: CD-ROM ANSI: SCSI revision: 05

Here is a bit more background:
When I assembled this computer the CD-ROM (SATA) was plugged into Serial ATA connector (SATA1) and the WD hard drive was plugged into one of the Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors designated as SATA_6G_1.

Is it possible that this hardware setup is now ahead of the anaconda curve?

D
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:52 AM
Divit11 Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: No useable disks have been found (RESOLVED)

Just a note to this thread. It appears that Fedora 14 is just not ready to notice 6.0Gb/s SATA harddrives connected to 6.0Gb/s connectors. I replugged my hd into one of the SATA 3.0Gb/s connectors and rebooted the system. The Fedora 14 disk loaded without incident.

I will not be submitting a bug report only because I'm guessing this is a feature that has not been added yet to the kernel.

D
Old 24th July 2011, 12:41 PM
Motorcycle Boy Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hi,

is this item still "hot"? Because I have the same problem with Fedora 15. I've got W7 64b installed on an SSD and I've got two HDD's connected to SATA6 ports. I try to install Fedora 15 (using a .iso) within a virtual machine, using Microsoft Virtual PC, and it doesn't find any usable disks. I tried both iso's, 32b and 64b.

I also did a cat /proc/scsi/scsi and there was nothing to see but the CD-ROM device.

It's quite annoying I can tell you.