Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th December 2010, 07:08 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox
FC 14 installs blank

New 320 Gig HD. Installed FC14 from DVD and it worked, except there are no icons at all to get started as there were in FC 13. Cant find "Places", "Applications" that were at the top of the screen. Now it's blank except for the splash design. Tried to re-install, but it won't do that. Just goes to the HD and the same blank splash screen. Thanks for the help. Please be easy with explanations as I'm new at this. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Old 26th December 2010, 01:29 AM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: FC 14 installs blank

You installed from the DVD and get to the login screen and select user then enter password and that's is where it has the splash/desktop background and nothing else?

phil
Old 26th December 2010, 04:50 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox

Yes Phil.That's exactly what happens. The pc is a Dell Inspiron 560 Intel Dual Core 300GHz, 6 Gig Ram, 64 bit, 500 Gig HDD with only Ffedora on it. Installed twice and got same result. Thanks, and Happy New Year. Bob
Old 26th December 2010, 08:39 PM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Can you login from run level 3 and then run "startx" to see if you get a desktop. What desktop did you install,
I believe Gnome is default from a DVD but you can choose otherwise.

phil
Old 26th December 2010, 09:06 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox

I installed Gnome. As a Novice, I don't know how to login in from runlevel 3. Can you instruct me on this> Thanks.
Old 26th December 2010, 09:45 PM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjie1 View Post
I installed Gnome. As a Novice, I don't know how to login in from runlevel 3. Can you instruct me on this> Thanks.
When the computer starts and you see the grub menu press a key, usually the spacebar and that
will halt the boot process and you will see a menu with the kernel listed. Press the "A" key to append
the kernel and place the number 3 at the end of the list and press enter. The computer will continue
to boot and if you press the "Esc" key you will be able to see textually what is happening. Hopefully you
will get to the text login and then "startx" after login.

phil
Old 27th December 2010, 01:14 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox

No luck. Got the text screen but never the text login. The text screen disappeared and it went to the regular login screen and that happened 3 times. Once on the text screen I saw "starting udev" and then it went to the Fedora login screen again. So back to the beginning. Any more ideas? This installation is from a DVD and 32 bit iso. It was fine on my old 32 bit PC. This new one is 64 bit and I have a 64 bit iso on a DVD. Would that help to install it and maybe solve the prob. or won't it matter. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:38 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hello everybody,

Before you quit, try starting (or restarting) the Gnome panels. It sounds to me like you are able to login but land at the desktop with no panels. Right? If so, then try pressing ALT+F2 to get a command console and enter this to stop and restart the panels...
Code:
killall gnome-panel
Or this to start the panels...
Code:
gnome-panel
If by some miracle that works, you can try adding gnome-panel to your start up applications.

P.S.: I don't know why any of this is happening. Sorry. But it sure isn't right or normal.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:25 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox

Alt+F2 gives a Run Application box. Has a list of known apps. I checked Firefox and it opened but was not able to load any pages at all. Yes I can log in and end at the desktop with no panels. The Alt+ F2 did not give me a command console. Just the run application box. Not at all ready to quit. Willing to re-install if it will help. New at this so don't understand all the commands that may be sent. Will keep trying. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:40 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You should be able to type a command in that box, too. I can anyway, but I'm using XFCE and not Gnome. Maybe that matters. Actually, what I see after Alt+F2 is a "Run program" dialogue box with a text box to enter a command, a check box for "Run in terminal", and "Cancel" and "Run" buttons. Maybe somebody has another idea for running that gnome-panel command in your predicament. In the meantime, I will start up something running Gnome and see what happens.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:04 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried that with this Debian Squeeze system with Gnome. Alt+F2 pops up a "Run Application" dialogue box with a text box for a command, the check box for "Run in terminal", a "Show list of known applications" drop-down menu, then buttons for "Run with file", "Help", "Cancel", and "Run". I entered the killall gnome-panel command in the text box and pressed the "Run" button. The desktop sort of blinked and came back. So I guess it worked. You should at least be able to try that or the gnome-panel command in yours. No?
Old 27th December 2010, 04:40 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hi stoat. Tried killall gnome-panel and gnome-panel. Both gave me nothing at all. Desktop didn't even blink. Just went back to the splash screen. The run application box does have "terminal" there if that will help. Have no idea what to enter there if it is helpful.
Old 27th December 2010, 06:09 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

That's all that I had for the gnome-panel thing. Everything you've described above is so unusual (to me, anyway) that I really have no further ideas about what is happening or what to do about it. Have you tried the Live CD? Does that boot and run on this computer?
Old 27th December 2010, 07:28 PM
benjie1 Offline

windows_7firefox

tried that but it just went back to the same splash screen. I never got the text login like ryptyde had said. What is next? Try that again tomorrow?
Old 28th December 2010, 03:45 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

You know, there is a little outbreak of threads going on now about these crazy Gnome panels. I'm sorry to say that I don't what is the matter or what to do about it.

Tags
fc14, fully, install