Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2011, 11:24 AM
BadMofo666 Offline

windows_7chrome
Gnutella and Bittorrent

Just curious what everyone thinks of these protocols and the clients that use them. Despite the fact that they're mostly used for license violations, I find them intriguing. I'm very surprised they're still not used for for legitimate purposes very much.

From what I can tell, Bittorrent is better suited for large, popular files. It's major weakness is that it doesn't have a search built into the protocol, so people have to find the torrent by other means (usually through web sites). However, this is also an advantage, because it makes it easier for people to track what files are spam, fake, or malicious. Unlike Gnutella clients, all the Bittorrent clients seem to be focused on downloading a file, sharing for a period of time, then stop sharing permanently. If a file is not popular, this effectively kills the torrent. Also, it can be inefficient because the same exact file can be shared in multiple torrents, but the clients in one torrent can't share clients in the others.

Gnutella seems to be better suited for smaller, less popular files. The major differences is that the Gnutella network is one big network, it has search built in, and the clients are focused on always sharing everything. In a sense, it's like a large, highly distributed data store. Gnutellas blessing and curse is it's decentralized nature. Because it's so decentralized, it makes it hard to determine what files are fake or malicious, and there's a ton of spam on the network.

I, personally, like Gnutella's approach better. I've always been a fan of anarchy and chaos What are your thoughts on these protocols, p2p in general, and the future of p2p?
Old 15th February 2011, 11:37 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Gnutella and Bittorrent

Gnutella is a virus haven.

A lot of BT clients have a search engine now, try qbittorrent.
Old 16th February 2011, 01:22 AM
Babylon5Nut Offline

Location: 127.0.0.1 (There's no place quite like it, you know...)
windows_vistafirefox
Re: Gnutella and Bittorrent

Anarchy and chaos are all fine and well until it genuinely involves you or your life.

I'm a big fan of BT for a few reasons. I'm a fan of the fact that it's open-source and available for anyone who wants to implement it. I'm a fan of how it is inherently load-balancing, assuming everyone doesn't try and cheat the system. I'm a fan of how it handles bandwidth issues (which is kind of the flip of the load-balancing). I'm a fan of it being relatively secure from being co-opted, and I'm a fan of the web-based approach to dissemination and public discussion about torrent files.

I used to be a fan of Gnutella, back when it ruled the roost, but I agree with what's been said above -- it's too compromised with viruses and other malware, and really I find I don't miss the immediate searchability all that terribly.

Frankly, it's great for downloading legitimate stuff, and I wish it was more broadly used for those sorts of purposes.

1. mjmwired.net: Fedora 14 Personal Setup Guide

2. The Unofficial Fedora FAQ