Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:33 PM
phd685 Offline

linuxopera
A newbie with problems with Menus..

Can anyone help me. I have just downloaded Fedora 14. I find that when I go to 'Places' then choose , say documents it asks do I wish to install. The same goes for all of the directories.
I also wish to have Open Office have downloaded a file that ends in TAR.GZ but when I try to open with the Archive manager nothing seems to happen? Sorry if I seem stupid but XP made you a zombie for installations
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:40 AM
ozjd Online

linuxchrome
Re: A newbie with problems with Menus..

OpenOffice is in the repos. That is best place to install it from. See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=256649 for info on installing.
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:54 AM
jroa1 Offline

windows_vistafirefox

As a newbie, I would recommend that you do not try to install anything that is not in the repositories. Not yet, anyway. The repos should have just about anything that you will need. There are several ways to install software with Fedora or any Linux distro for that matter. Doing it through the repositories is by far the easiest.

I am not sure what you mean by the first part of your post. What is it asking for you to install? Try installing OpenOffice and let us know if you still need help.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:31 PM
phd685 Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroa1 View Post
As a newbie, I would recommend that you do not try to install anything that is not in the repositories. Not yet, anyway. The repos should have just about anything that you will need. There are several ways to install software with Fedora or any Linux distro for that matter. Doing it through the repositories is by far the easiest.

I am not sure what you mean by the first part of your post. What is it asking for you to install? Try installing OpenOffice and let us know if you still need help.
I thank you for your input, must have had a brain storm. What I need is to install Openoffice on my computer as I am migrating from MS XP Office2007.
I would like a list of steps to achieve that goal.
Regards
Paul
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:24 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

You can try:
Code:
yum groupinstall 'Office/Productivity'
Now that may install more than the minimum, but it will cover nearly
everything used in an office environment.
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:35 PM
jkerr82508 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Or, using the GUI:

System -> Administration -> Add/Remove Software
In the left panel, select "Package Collections". In the right panel select "Office/Productivity". Click "Apply".

Jim
Old 4th February 2011, 05:03 PM
phd685 Offline

linuxopera

Thank you all so much. It worked.

Tags
menus, newbie, problems