Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:44 AM
recondite Offline

linuxchrome
Do Wacom graphics tablets work well with Fedora?

I am thinking of getting a graphics tablet for my Fedora box, probably a Wacom Intuos4 or a Bamboo Pen and Touch. I'm looking at those models simply because they seem to be the most popular ones out there. Before I buy I want to know if they work with Fedora 13. The company seems to officially support only Windows and Mac. It is easy to find the drivers and install them? What graphics software do they work with? I've never had a graphics tablet before.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:21 PM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Do Wacom graphics tablets work well with Fedora?

The Intuos will fly right away where the Bamboo Pen and Touch needs a little work (compile old driver). Other than that, they're both as good as how you configure them and how familiar with linuxwacom you become.
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:52 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

actually, you compile a newer driver for the bamboo. The bamboo pen & touch has never been seen by the kernel module in fedora, yet the linuxwacom kernel module has seen it for a few years.

The linuxwacom kernel module is all that you need to get the bamboo to working in Fedora, though. The rest of the packages are n the Fedora repo, like the x86 wacom driver.

I have been using a bamboo pen & touch since F10, and have been hoping they get the kernel module in Fedora updated to recognize it. linuxwacom got it going fairly quickly.

The second post in this thread, http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...ighlight=wacom I list out the steps to install the linuxwacom kernel module. Nothing has changed except now linuxwacom has updated it to version linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 instead of the linuxwacom-0.8.8-8 version in the post. The same steps work for Feodora versions 10 through 14
Old 2nd February 2011, 07:04 PM
Keldorn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am using intous 3, it can be easily configured with xsetwacom tool
Quote:
The second post in this thread, http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...ighlight=wacom I list out the steps to install the linuxwacom kernel module
No need in this for intous 3, seems to me intous 4 won't need it to...
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:01 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

true. Beaker already mentioned that the intuos tablets were already supported and I outlined the steps to get a bamboo tablet working.

Tags
fedora, graphics, tablets, wacom, work