Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd December 2005, 03:36 PM
TerryG Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necator
If you are using Gnome -- and I assume you will do ;-), yust do an right-click on a panel (one of those grey thingies in the top or bottom of your screen) and choose the 'Keyboard Indicator' (The icon are many different country-flags). Whith it jou can switch between different Keyboard layouts and even install new ones.

Hope, this helps ...

Greetings from the snow -- Bavaria will have a white Chrismas :-)
Necator
Greetings Necator, from my own snow. All white here in Ontario too (Canada)
Thank you for the fast reply!

Gnome, yes. I use the grey applets a lot, but after right click, found nothing useful in Preferences.
It may be something the original installation neglected to include and I have nothing like flags there.

What I had on screen in Windows, was Fr - Eng (click one) Too easy, right? Now where can I go?
TerryG
Old 23rd December 2005, 04:07 PM
Necator Offline

Well ... im on a hurry now (going to visit my parents for the holidays) ... and sadly I'm not writing on a linux system right now (shame on me, ya' I know )

But, as soon as the tool is installed, is as easy.

How to get it: Right click on the panel, and there should be something like "Add to panel" ... and the choose to add the 'keyboard indicator'. If you are using Fedora4 it is definitly there anywhere. I's the same location where you can add a clock, a single command-line, the desktop-switcher and so on are.

And as soon as you have it, you can add new keyboard-layouts through it.

Well, and most probably it is installed, as it should be in the same package as the clock, the desktop switcher and so on (I think so, -- so I don't know it, I'm just assuming). So try an do a clicking gallore -- it should be there anywhere ;-)

I know that tool on Windows, and about the same it is on Gnome (and KDE) ...

Merry Chrismas
Old 24th December 2005, 05:03 AM
TerryG Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necator
Well ... im on a hurry now (going to visit my parents for the holidays) ... and sadly I'm not writing on a linux system right now (shame on me, ya' I know )

But, as soon as the tool is installed, is as easy.

How to get it: Right click on the panel, and there should be something like "Add to panel" ... and the choose to add the 'keyboard indicator'. If you are using Fedora4 it is definitly there anywhere. I's the same location where you can add a clock, a single command-line, the desktop-switcher and so on are.

And as soon as you have it, you can add new keyboard-layouts through it.

Well, and most probably it is installed, as it should be in the same package as the clock, the desktop switcher and so on (I think so, -- so I don't know it, I'm just assuming). So try an do a clicking gallore -- it should be there anywhere ;-)

I know that tool on Windows, and about the same it is on Gnome (and KDE) ...

Merry Chrismas
Hi again,

It has no "add to panel" I will stand on my head and maybe that'll find it?
There is the time and dock always on display however. From the start.
I do appreciate your attempt to help! Family visits begin tomorrow for me too.
Enjoy yours!
Old 24th December 2005, 05:51 PM
TerryG Offline

I deleted all the four applets and cannot get them back.
It renders my computer useless. I will reboot to see if they return

GAAAH!
Old 26th December 2005, 07:22 PM
TerryG Offline

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryG
At last! Please help. I have been using Fedora (tophat?) since July and have been unable to switch from English to French and back again on this French keyboard. The need is growing. Previously for several years, this was the perfect keyboard for work in both languages, before I switched to Linux. I need an applet on screen to work as a toggle and need help to find and to instal it. Other than that I really like Linux.
terryG

That was then. This is NOW.

Never let a KLUTZ click choices.
Not only was there no way to "add to panel" the "keyboard indiator" I was looking for, but somehow I deleted the set of four gray spaces in the panel (bottom right) that I use every day. They are GONE. Rebooting did not bring them back.

What can I do now?
TerryG
Sorry to be so impatient but I needed yhe French keyboard, and now, the repair the loss of four work panel. It is a holiday, I know, and appreciate the one attempt to help. Please, I need rescuing!
TerryG
Old 26th December 2005, 07:28 PM
TerryG Offline

Unhappy To activate French keyboard, and restore work panels

Quote:
At last! Please help. I have been using Fedora (tophat?) since July and have been unable to switch from English to French and back again on this French keyboard. The need is growing. Previously for several years, this was the perfect keyboard for work in both languages, before I switched to Linux. I need an applet on screen to work as a toggle and need help to find and to instal it. Other than that I really like Linux.
terryG

That was then. This is NOW.

Never let a KLUTZ click choices.
Not only was there no way to "add to panel" the "keyboard indiator" I was looking for, but somehow I deleted the set of four gray spaces in the panel (bottom right) that I use every day. They are GONE. Rebooting did not bring them back.

What can I do now?
TerryG
Sorry to be so impatient but I needed yhe French keyboard, and now, the repair the loss of four work panel. It is a holiday, I know, and appreciate the one attempt to help. Please, I need rescuing!
TerryG
Old 26th December 2005, 07:53 PM
w5set Offline

in KDE right click and empty spot on the panel--then configure panel--check show windows from all desktops--check sort tasks by virtual desktops--check show application button..
pick a "virtual desktop window"--open a terminal--type in system-config-keyboard....do which ever keyboard ya want--do the same for a different "virtual desktop"--the 1 thru 4 desktops shown as default settings--if ya don't have the 4 "desktops"--then hit the 'start button--control center---desktop--multiple desktops and set those to the number ya want---and this might just be the thing ya have to do first!!! If you are using Gnome--it has similar stuff...
Old 26th December 2005, 11:58 PM
TerryG Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5set
in KDE right click and empty spot on the panel--then configure panel--check show windows from all desktops--check sort tasks by virtual desktops--check show application button..
pick a "virtual desktop window"--open a terminal--type in system-config-keyboard....do which ever keyboard ya want--do the same for a different "virtual desktop"--the 1 thru 4 desktops shown as default settings--if ya don't have the 4 "desktops"--then hit the 'start button--control center---desktop--multiple desktops and set those to the number ya want---and this might just be the thing ya have to do first!!! If you are using Gnome--it has similar stuff...
Thank you w5set! I ran the directions through the printer. I do use Gnome.
Now if only my fumble-fingers don't delete something else, I will be dancing! Stay tuned!
TerryG
Old 28th December 2005, 05:45 PM
TerryG Offline

Worse. Need a Linux tech! URGENT request

Quote:
Thank you w5set! I ran the directions through the printer. I do use Gnome.
Now if only my fumble-fingers don't delete something else, I will be dancing! Stay tuned!
TerryG
Learning many things, and find I probably am foolish to try to improve anything when the results invariably create yet new problems to solve. Still have no way to activate the French in this peripheral keyboard, but need to find and replace the four desktops, somehow I reduced the one existing remnant desktop by two pale borders almost 2 cm wide each. The one on the right covers the list of of folders and commands to a point where only the edge shows.Included are E-mail, Trash, and Firefox

Meanwhile, I have done hours of reading before it is all gone. At this rate soon my screen will be blank.

Is there a qualified Tech in my area? I live in a small town three hoursfrom each, between Ottawa and Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, Nearest city, North Bay.

Totally disheartened.
TerryG
Old 17th January 2006, 01:40 PM
foobar47 Offline

Thanks, nice !
Old 20th January 2006, 02:17 PM
pattobw Offline

Help with fedora core 4 boot up - changed motherboard

I installed core 4 with a chaintech vnf3 motherboard and then I switched to an asrock 939 motherboard. I get a kernel panic during boot. I think it can not see the sata drive due to the difference in sata support.

How can I boot up using the fedora core 4 install CD and force it to prompt for removing the old hardware drivers and installing the new hardware drivers.

I sure don't want to reinstall from scratch, unless absolute necessary..
Old 29th January 2006, 06:04 PM
block Offline

Help. New PC, nothing works

Fedora won't boot at all (kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!). I have a new PC (Asus P5LD2 mother, Asus NVidia GeForce 6600LE, Western Digital 2500JS 250GB SATAII drives, Pentium 4 Extreme 3GHz). I've checked the Fedora boot disks (both CD and DVD) on an older system; they work fine. BTW, I created the boot disks with Nero. The downloaded ISO images also were fine with the published checksums.
One of my first problems is that I cannot even read all the text, it scrolls by on the screen too fast. Is there a linux command line flag to show messages page-by-page?
I've tried various combinations of kernel flags (ie. noprobe, skipddc, nopass, lowres) with no luck.

I've also tried the disks on my XP system (to see if the first stage would pass) but, again, same error as above. This system has the same motherboard but with an ASUS Extreme AX700-X/TD128 (ATI Radeon X700LE GPU)

I use LCD monitors.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd hate to have to build my PVR using Media Centre :-(
Old 6th February 2006, 03:06 PM
massimomm Offline

Linux installation options

Edit: Question asked and answered on another post - please don't double-post!
Thanks, Justol'bob
Community Manager

Last edited by justol'bob; 6th February 2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 13th February 2006, 08:10 PM
al-rafidain Offline

hi to every one
i glad to be one of member
please help me to install Fedora core 2
my problem is
when I boot from the CD and I press enter key to begin in install my copmuter immediatly made restast ?why?
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:20 AM
seltzer Offline

wowza. what a wonderfull list of options. thanks allot!
Closed Thread

Tags
fedora, installation, options