Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th October 2004, 10:47 PM
bobp Offline

Exclamation X Window Won't Load

I recently installed FC3 T3 over a working FC2 install. At the first bootup it got past the bootscreen, and to the login screen, I typed in my username/passsword, and thats when it died. It said something about not doing GDM authentication (??????) and then it said in a text, not X window that X can't be loaded and please fix the problem and run gdm when you have. It then took me to a full screen terminal where I could log myself in. I logged in and typed reboot. It rebooted and it said the filesystem had been shutdown uncleanly, checking for errors. It found errors and did its little status bar thing while checking the rest. It then finished and said "Give root password for maintence". I gave up, stuck in the FC2 disc, and installed FC2 freshly, formatting everything. I got into FC2 and I was so happy. I told it to yum and install everything else I wanted such as aMSN while I was asleep. When I came back the next morning yum hadn't installed anything and when I tried to run yum update again it gave me errors. I restarted and the same thing as FC3 T3 happened, except it didn't get as far as the login screen, or telling me X didn't work. I gave the password for maintenence and FC2 told me to fsck or something like that. I did it and it supposedly fixed inodes (?????) and I restarted. This time it got past the problem and to the loading of the different things (spamd, httpd,those kinda things). Most were okay but a few failed. I didn't even get as far as the login screen and it told me in a non-X window that X couldn't be loaded and please run gdm when fixed. I really need help here.... I want my Linux back.

P.S. I think it's not the CDs of FC2 because this is my 3rd install w/ them.
Old 30th October 2004, 11:05 PM
imdeemvp Offline

did you do it as an upgrade or a fresh installation? if so it is not recommended to upgrade from a stable to a beta release and that could be your problem.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 30th October 2004, 11:07 PM
bobp Offline

When I first had FC2 (working) I did an upgrade install to FC3 T3. Then, when it didn't work I did a fresh hard drive wipe/fc2 install.
Old 30th October 2004, 11:30 PM
bobp Offline

I did fsck even more and when I rebooted I got kernel panic. Great. I think I'm gonna have to do yet another FC install (5th one in 2 months).

Tags
load, window