Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th January 2011, 12:04 AM
Serson Person Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
N00B Needs Help With Fedora 14 / RaLink RT 3090 Wireless

Hey Guys,

I've been searching Google, and thus, this forum, but these answers are just blowing my mind. I came over from Ubuntu NetBook Remix 10 today and everything is working fine and sexy, I just need wireless to work.

AutoEthernet works. I've read so much online that it's boggling my mind, I don't even know what somebody means about "yum" installing.

I'm running KDE environment. Sorry to ask, I've been really reading answers and researching but I am just not getting it.

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated!
Old 26th January 2011, 12:58 AM
jroa1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: N00B Needs Help With Fedora 14 / RaLink RT 3090 Wireless

yum is the default package manager for Fedora. If you know how to open a terminal, then you can begin installing packages from the repositories. It is sort of like apt or the apt-get command in Ubuntu. You usually need to get root permissions first, which requires the root password. A typical yum install would look something like this.

Code:
su -
<rootpassword>
yum install tuxguitar
I am not sure about rt3090, but there is a driver in the repos for rt3070. I am not sure if it will work, but I guess it would not hurt to try. To install rt3070, you would open a terminal and type the following.

Code:
su -
<rootpassword>
yum install rt3070
Old 26th January 2011, 01:12 AM
Serson Person Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

It often says my user doesn't exist, and the incident will be reported.

I remember last time I fixed this issue on Ubuntu, it was some small detail, like there it was called something similar to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf but slightly different. It may have been the modprobe.d part that was different.

Last edited by Serson Person; 26th January 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 26th January 2011, 04:19 AM
jroa1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Is it doing this with sudo, su, or just when you are using your normal account? I don't think I have ever had this problem.

Tags
3090, fedora, n00b, ralink, wireless