Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2011, 09:32 AM
Nirious Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Where do CIFS network shares get mounted?

Hi,

I have mounted a windows network share using the gnome desktop environment, using
Places -> Connect To server...
The network share is OK, and I have the icon on my desktop and can see all the files.

I want to be able to use this network as well in the console, so I need the mount point.
What is the location on the filesystem were this networkdrive gets mounted?
I find nothing in /mnt and nothing in /media

also using mount to look at the registered mounts, there is no entry for the networkdrive
Nevertheless, I have this networkdrive now open in my desktop, and have an option to unmount it.

I know that using the mount.cifs command you can specify the mounting point.
Though I have done it this time using the desktop, so don't give me that.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:20 AM
markkuk Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Where do CIFS network shares get mounted?

The Gnome desktop uses GVFS to access CIFS shares, the mount point should be somewhere in $HOME/.gvfs/. Try using the command "gvfs-mount -l".
Old 21st January 2011, 12:22 PM
Nirious Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Where do CIFS network shares get mounted?

Thx for the reply.

Is it nomal that I have no access in this folder?
Not even with root?

I have this when I do ls -al:

d?????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs

gvfs-mount -l gives:

(gvfs-mount:3672): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gvfs-mount:3672): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Mount(0): be755b6d-d902-4d4b-a8d4-17d60477d42b -> file:///media/be755b6d-d902-4d4b-a8d4-17d60477d42b
Type: GUnixMount

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

OK,

my mistake,

I do get access, but ironically as my normal user

The moment I try to be root, it refuses every access to the .gvfs folder.
Being root I do not even get rights information of it using ls-al

Can someone explain me why?
I did create the mappings using the normal account.

Last edited by Nirious; 21st January 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Tags
cifs, mounted, network, shares