Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19th January 2011, 07:28 AM
Jeff72 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 164
linuxfedorafirefox
Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

UPDATE: I have confirmed that this is not needed with Fedora 15 since the Fedora 15 kernel supports the onboard Intel 82579v network adapter by default.


NOTE: This is ONLY needed for Fedora 14. You do NOT have to do this for Fedora 15.

This is how I got the Intel 82579v Network adapter on my new Intel Sandy Bridge Asus P8P67 PRO motherboard working in Fedora 14 64-bit Live CD install.

Thanks to the guys, including Panther505, who assisted me with this on this thread (forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=257676)

I used the Fedora 14 Desktop Edition 64-bit live CD to install Fedora on my PC. These instructions are for that version. If you installed the 32-bit version, then you will need the equivalent 32-bit i386 or i686 RPM packages instead.

First, you will need a bunch of required Fedora RPM packages that are not installed by default with the Live CD install. Download the following RPM packages from this link to your USB drive. (download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/Packages/)
Code:
binutils-2.20.51.0.7-5.fc14.x86_64.rpm
cloog-ppl-0.15.7-2.fc14.x86_64.rpm
cpp-4.5.1-4.fc14.x86_64.rpm
gcc-4.5.1-4.fc14.x86_64.rpm
glibc-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
glibc-common-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
glibc-devel-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
glibc-headers-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
kernel-devel-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64.rpm
kernel-headers-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64.rpm
libgomp-4.5.1-4.fc14.x86_64.rpm
libmpc-0.8.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
perl-5.12.2-136.fc14.x86_64.rpm
perl-libs-5.12.2-136.fc14.x86_64.rpm
perl-Module-Pluggable-3.90-136.fc14.noarch.rpm
perl-Pod-Escapes-1.04-136.fc14.noarch.rpm
perl-Pod-Simple-3.13-136.fc14.noarch.rpm
perl-threads-1.81-1.fc14.x86_64.rpm
ppl-0.10.2-10.fc12.x86_64.rpm
Second, you will need to download the Intel Wired Ethernet source driver e1000e-1.2.20.tar.gz from this link to your USB drive (sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/e1000e%20stable/1.2.20/)

Third, install the above RPM packages from your USB drive on the Fedora PC using this command as root in the same directory as the RPM packages:
Code:
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
Forth, copy the e1000e-1.2.20.tar.gz file driver to your Fedora 14 PC hard drive and install the e1000e network driver as root:
Code:
gunzip e1000e-1.2.20.tar.gz
tar xvf e1000e-1.2.20.tar
cd e1000e-1.2.20/src
make install
modprobe e1000e
If your network is setup for DHCP, then your network interface should now be up and running. Run Firefox to test your Internet connection.

You can run ifconfig to see your network interface or right-click on the networking icon on the top right of your screen and select Connection Information to see it also.

Now is probably a good time to update your Fedora 14 system:
Code:
yum update
After you update your kernel and reboot, then you will need to do the following again:
Code:
cd e1000e-1.2.20/src
make install
modprobe e1000e
You will need to re-install the driver and do the "make install" and "modprobe e1000e" any time you update your kernel and reboot. If you do not update your kernel but just reboot, the driver should work fine.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff72; 10th July 2011 at 04:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th April 2011, 07:37 AM
secretr Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 39
Posts: 2
windows_7firefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Jeff72, thanks for saving me a LOT of time - great tutorial, I'll try it today.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12th April 2011, 09:48 AM
secretr Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 39
Posts: 2
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

It went almost smooth
Just a small update. For those of you (mostly newbies like me ) having troubles in:

1. RPM installation: The *.rpm case didn't work for me. I had to install rpm's one by one, following their dependencies

2. Driver Compilation: If you see an odd error output by make close to this one:
Code:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/home/SecretR/System/network driver/e1000e-1.2.20/src clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `driver/e1000e-1.2.20/src'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64'
make: *** [clean] Error 2
... just remove white spaces (rename) from the path to the sources.

Thanks again for the great tutorial.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 8th June 2011, 06:04 PM
rgheck Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
macosfirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me get my ethernet working!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th June 2011, 08:12 PM
stevea Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 8,547
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Quote:
binutils-2.20.51.0.7-5.fc14.x86_64.rpm
cloog-ppl-0.15.7-2.fc14.x86_64.rpm
cpp-4.5.1-4.fc14.x86_64.rpm
gcc-4.5.1-4.fc14.x86_64.rpm
glibc-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
glibc-common-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
glibc-devel-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm
glibc-headers-2.12.90-17.x86_64.rpm

kernel-devel-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64.rpm
kernel-headers-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64.rpm
libgomp-4.5.1-4.fc14.x86_64.rpm
libmpc-0.8.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

perl-5.12.2-136.fc14.x86_64.rpm
perl-libs-5.12.2-136.fc14.x86_64.rpm
perl-Module-Pluggable-3.90-136.fc14.noarch.rpm
perl-Pod-Escapes-1.04-136.fc14.noarch.rpm
perl-Pod-Simple-3.13-136.fc14.noarch.rpm
perl-threads-1.81-1.fc14.x86_64.rpm
ppl-0.10.2-10.fc12.x86_64.rpm
NO offense - but there seems to be a lot of packages listed that are NOT needed to compile & install a driver. I've bolded the ones that appear unnecessary for the build. I've underlined the ones that SHOULD already be installed even on a minimal install.

There is no need for perl. The ONLY headers/include files needed for driver compilation are in kernel-headers and kernel-devel; NO OTHER -devel packages are needed. The kernel & drivers do not use any libraries - not even glibc. So the only libs needed are those used to support the compiler, linker and make.

It's not clear if the 'make' package is included by default, but it's obviously needed.
__________________
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th June 2011, 11:17 PM
Jeff72 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 164
linuxfirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
NO offense - but there seems to be a lot of packages listed that are NOT needed to compile & install a driver. I've bolded the ones that appear unnecessary for the build. I've underlined the ones that SHOULD already be installed even on a minimal install.

There is no need for perl. The ONLY headers/include files needed for driver compilation are in kernel-headers and kernel-devel; NO OTHER -devel packages are needed. The kernel & drivers do not use any libraries - not even glibc. So the only libs needed are those used to support the compiler, linker and make.

It's not clear if the 'make' package is included by default, but it's obviously needed.
None taken. All of those packages were required for me to compile and install the network driver. Some were dependancies of the other packages.

Feel free to check the dependancies of gcc, for example.

Something during the compile and/or install required perl and the other packages also.

Last edited by Jeff72; 20th June 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27th June 2011, 04:22 PM
cogaritis Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

My two cents...

First, thanks for this info. It would have been helpful finding this prior to figuring out for myself!

What I did:

I had access to a 64-bit machine with older hardware so I was able to get the ethernet working right out of the box. I then downloaded the kernel-devel package to match the running kernel. Then I did a 'yum install perl, gcc' (there may have been other packages, but I'm just going off of memory from last week; my apologies). I installed the kernel-devel package via rpm -ivh. Note: If you install kernel-devel via yum from the live cd, it will install the package for the updated kernel, hence the reason for rpm installation of the older version. I compiled the drivers I downloaded from Intel's website, and copied the e1000e.ko file to my kindle that I used as a flash drive. Then, on the machine that uses the 82579 hardware, I used the insmod command on the e1000e.ko file and my ethernet turned on. Then I installed the new kernel, the new kernel-devel, perl, gcc, etc. on my new box and then I was able to compile the drivers once it rebooted.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to reinforce the fact that I was also required to install perl, gcc, etc., as well as share an alternate way of completing the task.

Thanks again, Jeff!

D
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27th June 2011, 05:11 PM
weitjong Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore, 新加坡
Posts: 882
linuxfirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Strange! I have a new SandyBridge machine as well. My custom build PC uses an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard. I installed F15 x86_64bit version from DVD installer. The Intel LAN controller from my motherboard is supported by the kernel shipped in F15 out of the box. Hack, in one of the Anaconda's installation steps, I could even already add the Fedora and Fedora Updates repo, and the internet access was even working then during the installation. That is, the installer straight away install the latest version of packages for me if packages in DVD is already outdated. I said strange because z68 chipset is relatively newer than the P68 chipset, so I don't believe that the Linux kernel supports my chipset better than yours. The motherboard also uses the same Intel 82579 Gigabit LAN controller. So, with due to respect, I don't think the steps in your post is necessary for F15.

Funny thing is, I have also tried to install Windows 7 on the other partition of my SDD to test my brand new machine. After the installation completed, Windows 7 "Device Manager" showed more than a dozen unrecognised devices. The Intel LAN controller is one of them. No internet access to download the driver to rectify my problem. The driver CD provided by Asus saves the day.

So, compare that with my experience with Fedora, I would say Fedora 1 and Windows 0. And Fedora also configures the onboard audio correctly even though my output is connected via optical out. It took me a few minutes to figure how to make the optical output work in Windows 7 as well.
__________________
YaoWT - Leave no window unbroken ^_^

Last edited by weitjong; 27th June 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Just realize the steps are more for F14 users.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th July 2011, 04:05 AM
Jeff72 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 164
linuxchrome
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
Strange! I have a new SandyBridge machine as well. My custom build PC uses an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard. I installed F15 x86_64bit version from DVD installer. The Intel LAN controller from my motherboard is supported by the kernel shipped in F15 out of the box. Hack, in one of the Anaconda's installation steps, I could even already add the Fedora and Fedora Updates repo, and the internet access was even working then during the installation. That is, the installer straight away install the latest version of packages for me if packages in DVD is already outdated. I said strange because z68 chipset is relatively newer than the P68 chipset, so I don't believe that the Linux kernel supports my chipset better than yours. The motherboard also uses the same Intel 82579 Gigabit LAN controller. So, with due to respect, I don't think the steps in your post is necessary for F15.

Funny thing is, I have also tried to install Windows 7 on the other partition of my SDD to test my brand new machine. After the installation completed, Windows 7 "Device Manager" showed more than a dozen unrecognised devices. The Intel LAN controller is one of them. No internet access to download the driver to rectify my problem. The driver CD provided by Asus saves the day.

So, compare that with my experience with Fedora, I would say Fedora 1 and Windows 0. And Fedora also configures the onboard audio correctly even though my output is connected via optical out. It took me a few minutes to figure how to make the optical output work in Windows 7 as well.
If you look at my first post, I have an "UPDATE" section at the top that says that the above is NOT needed for Fedora 15. I have verified this, so you no longer have to do the above with Fedora 15. It seems people do not see that first line so I added another NOTE below that one.

Since my Asus P8P67 PRO was recalled because of the Sandy Bridge recall, I also bought the same Asus P8Z68-V PRO motherboard you have. It works correctly out of the box with Fedora 15 and no need to do the above. The above was needed only with Fedora 14.

Also, be sure to get the updated drivers from Asus web site for Windows 7. They have updated drivers for Windows 7 there. I also dual boot Windows 7 and Fedora 15. It is funny that Fedora 15 works out of the box but with Windows 7 you need to install LAN drivers to get the network to work.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10th July 2011, 06:22 AM
weitjong Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore, 新加坡
Posts: 882
linuxfirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Hi Jeff. I am a frequent lurker to this Forum and I had read your post the first time you post it here (without the UPDATE part). That was before I bought my new rig. You know doing my home work before spending my hard earned money on the new rig.

I was merely responding the post from cogaritis on impulse (was damn happy at times with my F15 installation) without rereading from the first post again. Having said that, I did spot your UPDATE part only afterward and hence I edited my post to tone down my language a bit .

Thanks for your suggestion on updating Windows 7 drivers from Asus. After configuring F15 as the default boot in Grub, I have not booted to Windows 7 since then. I have not even activated my Windows 7. LOL.
__________________
YaoWT - Leave no window unbroken ^_^
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10th July 2011, 07:07 AM
Jeff72 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 164
windows_7chrome
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
Hi Jeff. I am a frequent lurker to this Forum and I had read your post the first time you post it here (without the UPDATE part). That was before I bought my new rig. You know doing my home work before spending my hard earned money on the new rig.

I was merely responding the post from cogaritis on impulse (was damn happy at times with my F15 installation) without rereading from the first post again. Having said that, I did spot your UPDATE part only afterward and hence I edited my post to tone down my language a bit .

Thanks for your suggestion on updating Windows 7 drivers from Asus. After configuring F15 as the default boot in Grub, I have not booted to Windows 7 since then. I have not even activated my Windows 7. LOL.
I get corruption with my AMD 6950 graphics card still with the default ATI driver in Fedora 15, so I tend to be the opposite, unfortunately, and run Windows 7 mostly. I did notice that the latest default Fedora 15 ATI driver seems to allow the Gnome Shell to work now. I had to run in fallback mode before. I was playing around with the Gnome Shell today and like what I see. Hopefully the ATI driver stabilizes sometime soon and i'll be more inclined to boot Fedora 15 by default then. Good to hear you are happy with Fedora 15!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10th July 2011, 07:28 AM
weitjong Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore, 新加坡
Posts: 882
linuxfirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

I have a NVIDIA GTX580, also from Asus. Gnome Shell did fallback on me with nouvea driver. Installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver from rpmfusion fixes the problem for good. I have never bought an ATI/AMD graphical card before myself. But that's another story, and there are already a number "best graphical card for Fedora/Linux" kind of topic in the forum. Good luck to you on solving your issue with AMD card.
__________________
YaoWT - Leave no window unbroken ^_^
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10th July 2011, 07:38 AM
Jeff72 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 164
windows_7chrome
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
I have a NVIDIA GTX580, also from Asus. Gnome Shell did fallback on me with nouvea driver. Installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver from rpmfusion fixes the problem for good. I have never bought an ATI/AMD graphical card before myself. But that's another story, and there are already a number "best graphical card for Fedora/Linux" kind of topic in the forum. Good luck to you on solving your issue with AMD card.
Ah, it is good to know that things work with NVidia cards. I have not used NVidia for years as I believe the AMD graphics cards are more power efficient. My friend likes the NVidia cards too, though.

AMD has a Catalyst driver and there is a forum on it here:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

Unfortunately, it does not currently work with Gnome Shell it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29th August 2011, 03:42 PM
nb9175009 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
windows_7firefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Thanks Jeff72, your tuto is very good. I spent a lot of time on this issue and your tuto is the great solution.

Good Job
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12th September 2011, 08:41 PM
ZeusZon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Scotland
Age: 29
Posts: 281
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Intel 82579v Network driver (motherboards like Asus P8P67 PRO)

Great post. Thank you very much.

Installed Virtualbox before hand and it had the required dependancies. So I followed:

Code:
Download Driver
cd e1000e-1.2.20/src
make install
modprobe e1000e
Instantly worked after unpliuging the cable and reinserting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asus, bridge, driver, intel, motherboards, network, p8p67, pro, sandy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Intel 82579v network port Linux driver for Fedora? Jeff72 Servers & Networking 8 27th March 2013 10:41 PM
Intel xorg driver kills screen (black) and keyboard on Intel GMA X4500 CrysisGod Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 2 9th December 2009 11:32 PM
IDE on Intel 965 Motherboards? cvincent Hardware & Laptops 2 30th August 2006 03:02 AM
Motherboards for Intel Core2 Duo jlow Hardware & Laptops 0 3rd August 2006 12:07 AM
Intel Motherboards Trol Hardware & Laptops 1 7th October 2004 10:51 PM


Current GMT-time: 07:21 (Thursday, 17-04-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat