Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th January 2011, 02:44 AM
agillis Offline

windows_7firefox
3TB drive as boot drive (wd30ezrs)

Just got a brand new wd30ezrs 3TB drive. I installed Fedora on it but I can't make a partition over 2TB. I read on-line that there is a 2TB limit on the MBR partition table. Any way easy way around this? So I can still boot from this drive?
Old 7th January 2011, 04:14 AM
kyuso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: 3TB drive as boot drive (wd30ezrs)

Your partition table should be GPT, not MBR. And your BIOS must be able to detect GPT.

The best way is to have the boot partition less than 2TB, and have a separate partition >2TB as data partition. That way you can still keep MBR and not worry about BIOS detecting GPT. Having a separate data partition also simplifies OS upgrades since you don't have to touch the data while upgrading.

Last edited by kyuso; 7th January 2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: removed wrong info on gnu parted and mbr
Old 7th January 2011, 04:19 AM
agillis Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuso View Post
Your partition table should be GPT, not MBR. And your BIOS must be able to detect GPT.

The best way is to have the boot partition less than 2TB, and have a separate partition >2TB as data partition. That way you can still keep MBR and not worry about BIOS detecting GPT. Having a separate data partition also simplifies OS upgrades since you don't have to touch the data while upgrading.

I think gnu parted can create GPT partitions and still keep MBR intact.
I guess I could just make a few small partitions but that is not fun with a 3TB drive. I tried GNU parted but when I tried to create a GPT it wipe MBR and I couldn't boot the disk. I wonder if kickstart can create a GPT when it formats the disk? It's not in the documentation.
Old 7th January 2011, 06:35 AM
kyuso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillis View Post
I tried GNU parted but when I tried to create a GPT it wipe MBR and I couldn't boot the disk. I wonder if kickstart can create a GPT when it formats the disk?.
Sorry, I didn't realize GNU parted wipes out MBR. It looks like the latest version works, but is not included in Fedora 14. Well, at least we know your BIOS does not boot GPT.

Try running a rescue CD/DVD boot and run grub to re-install MBR bootstrap code. If the MBR partition table is still there, maybe it can make it visible. If not, recreate it using fdisk. Your partitions are still intact, so as long as you remember the exact partition boundaries, you should be able to resuscitate it. I think there is a tool to convert GPT to MBR, but you may need to search further.

Not sure about kickstart, but I haven't seen a fresh install with a clean disk giving you a choice of MBR or GPT, so there may not be an option.

As long as the MBR is not wiped out and you have a hybrid MBR+GPT, my original suggestion should work: Have a <2TB boot/root partition (64GB is plenty for me) and have the rest 3TB be a data partition. 3TB-64GB still leaves about 2.9375TB, which is close to 3TB anyway.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Actually, now that I think about it, you can always use LVM. Have <2TB partitions combined into one big file system.

Last edited by kyuso; 7th January 2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: fixed computation
Old 7th January 2011, 01:56 PM
agillis Offline

windows_7firefox

I'm not worried about losing data. This is a test system I built to see if it's possible to use a 3TB drive with Fedora 14.

I already tried using LVM to add small partitions together to create one big partition like you do if you have more then one drive.

This also doesn't work. As soon as your try to create any partition in the space beyond 2TB parted errors our telling you MBR doesn't support partitions with a location beyond 2TB on the drive.

So basically it looks like I need to use MBR so my drive will boot and grub will work. Then I need to use GPT to create a large storage partition that only the kernel and GNU parted know about.

Any idea on how to do this? I sounds like I might need a newer version of parted?
Old 8th January 2011, 01:06 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

yes, A GUID (GPT) partition table does wipe out the MBR since it replaces it. GPT does create a "wrapper" fake MBR, though. This is to prevent systems that only recognize MBR partitions tables from inadvertently wiping out your partition information.

If you use MBR, there is a total 2TB limit on ALL partitions on the disk. That limit does not apply if you use GPT (GUID).

What you need to do is to use gparted and create the partition table as GPT (GUID), then run the fedora install and set up the partitions and install grub.
Old 8th January 2011, 01:10 AM
agillis Offline

windows_7firefox

Thanks, actual I found the gdisk will convert your MBR to GPT. Works great!

Tags
3tb, boot, drive, wd30ezrs