Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:43 AM
pudi211 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Linksys AE1000 network adapter

The linksys AE1000 is not supported by linux according to the linksys website. Are there any workarounds? I use this network adapter to connect to my wireless network, and it is basically useless at the moment.
Old 4th January 2011, 01:36 AM
Renegade1318 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Linksys AE1000 network adapter

go to this website http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
and download RT3572usb file and uncompress it.

and then do these following steps

1. Edit common/rtusb_dev_id.c, and add:

Code:

{USB_DEVICE(0x13B1,0x002F)}, /* Linksys AE 1000 */between #ifdef RT35xx and #endif (should be between line 109 and 120.) Save and close the file.

2. Edit os/linux/config.mk, and set HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT, HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT and HAS_QOS_DLS_SUPPORT to "y". Save and close.

3. Edit include/os/rt_linux.h, and change

"usb_buffer_alloc" to "usb_alloc_coherent"

"usb_buffer_free" to "usb_free_coherent"

Save and close.

make sure you have gcc, kernel-headers, and kernel-devel installed. you will need them

in your terminal, cd to the directory of the folder, then type

code:
make
su
make install

then restart your computer and your good to go
Old 4th January 2011, 05:15 AM
pudi211 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am new to linux, and I really don't know too much about computers in general. You lost me at:

code:
make
su
make install

How do I accomplish these tasks? I tried to do it, but my computer skills failed me
Old 5th January 2011, 06:37 AM
Renegade1318 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudi211 View Post
I am new to linux, and I really don't know too much about computers in general. You lost me at:

code:
make
su
make install

How do I accomplish these tasks? I tried to do it, but my computer skills failed me
alright, your post is kind of hard to understand in the way that I'm not sure if you are saying that you did everything up to this point. if you did do everything up to the part of the tutorial you posted than follow these steps i am about to post. if you had problems with anything else, simple post what youre having problems with and i'll guide you through it

1.make sure your folder is on your folder that you extracted is on your desktop (the reason for this is that it will make it easier for me to explain)

2. right click the folder and click the rename option. then type the word wireless and hit enter. (i dont know what your folder name is so that is why I am asking you to change the name)

3. on the top menu click the tab that says Applications, and put your cursor over the "System Tools" option. that will open another submenu and from there you click on the option that says "terminal"

4. now that the termina is open, copy and paste these following line into it and hit enter (copy and paste them in one at a time , and hit enter after easch one of them)

line:
cd Desktop
cd wireless
make
su
make install

5. when you type su in, you have to type your computer password in and hit enter when youre done. also after hitting enter after make, youll see a lot going on in the terminal, thats just part of installing the wireless driver so dont worrly about it, just wait till its done before typing in the next commands.

after the make install process is done type the word "exit" in the terminal and then close it and restart your computer and it should work
Old 18th February 2011, 04:26 AM
tadeoman Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the instructions on how to install this card.

It worked perfectly
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:25 PM
Walter Caesar Offline

windows_7firefox

Thank you very much for this wonderful post, worked so smoothly on my Fedora 14 server. I was almost returning the network adapter but after reading this it worked well for me...
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:59 AM
Mockba Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1318 View Post
go to this website http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
and download RT3572usb file and uncompress it.

and then do these following steps

1. Edit common/rtusb_dev_id.c, and add:

Code:

{USB_DEVICE(0x13B1,0x002F)}, /* Linksys AE 1000 */between #ifdef RT35xx and #endif (should be between line 109 and 120.) Save and close the file.

2. Edit os/linux/config.mk, and set HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT, HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT and HAS_QOS_DLS_SUPPORT to "y". Save and close.

3. Edit include/os/rt_linux.h, and change

"usb_buffer_alloc" to "usb_alloc_coherent"

"usb_buffer_free" to "usb_free_coherent"

Save and close.

make sure you have gcc, kernel-headers, and kernel-devel installed. you will need them

code:
make
su
make install

then restart your computer and your good to go
Hey can you please tell me several things. I just started using linux today with this same wireless adapter. I was wondering how I can get into common from Fedora, I've done it on Backtrack but can't figure it out in Fedora. Also, for neither backtrack nor Fedora, I can't get gcc, kernel-headers or kernel-devel, I think all of them for Fedora and kernel-devel for backtrack. how can I get these? I'm booting my computer from the CD that i made from the isos. I have the yum folder that I dled from online plugged into my flash drive but I can't use the yum install. Is there any suggestion that you can give me to solve this problem? Thank you.
Old 21st January 2012, 09:13 AM
dcb76107 Offline

macossafari

I am getting the following error

[root@My ra]# make install
make -C /home/Dean/Desktop/ra/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Dean/Desktop/ra/os/linux'
rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
cp /home/Dean/Desktop/ra/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/.
install
-d /lib/modules/2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
install -m 644 -c
rt3572sta.ko /lib/modules/2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
install: cannot stat `rt3572sta.ko': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Dean/Desktop/ra/os/linux'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Any help would be great

Dean
Old 25th February 2012, 06:35 AM
ddreggors Offline

linuxchrome

This is also discussed here.

I added a src.rpm file to that discussion and have a Fedora wiki page here for the rpm driver with all of these patches and more already included.

With any luck we can get this added to the Fedora repos soon.

Tags
adapter, ae1000, linksys, network