Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th December 2010, 12:46 PM
malaki77 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Workstation Advanced Networking

Dear fellow programmers and technicians.

First of all i would like to wish you all Merry Christmas and wish you all great success in new year with well respected Fedora.

I searched online for quite a while and i wasn't able to find satisfactory answer to my questions.

I am running currently F12 on a small x86 multi-sessions box and i have problems handling some advanced networking configurations as what i have in mind is quite complicated. Any solution whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

I have my own company which is in the same building but at different levels. At my Office i have multiple wifi access points and i have to bring some down frequently during maintenance or very often recompiling. Anyway it's not the point.

What i am trying to do is first of all having a principal account (aside root) on which i would run NetworkManager (because it is the simplest for wifi). And as it is a multi-user workstation i want to give opportunity to switching sub-users connecting company wifi connection without allowing them to access eth0. From there it's quite simple. Where it get tricky is that i don't give users the wifi key for security purpose. I want them to be able to use the wifi i myself initiated with my superuser without them having any control over it. The trickiest part is i transfer highly confidential data on eth0 and when it is down i realized the superuser switch to wifi (logged company servers) to resume transfer. So i would like to be able to select wifi dynamically for subusers and make the superuser itself unable to use it.

All that is complicated but i will resume it like that :

1. i want superuser to control via networkmanager (if possible) the connections.
2. i want to block subuser from accessing eth0.
3. i want to provide them with my chosen wifi AP.
4. i want to block superuser from falling into the wifi, so blocking it's usage but not control.

Any suggestion or advice, simple or complicated, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Simon-Pierre Dubé.

Last edited by malaki77; 28th December 2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Fixed

Tags
advanced, networking, workstation