Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th December 2010, 12:00 AM
fkeymo Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
no longer able to access some websites!?!

Hi All,

I have a lenovo x200 laptop running Fedora 14, fully up to date with the Fedora repository. Seemingly out of nowhere, some websites will no longer load. First it happened to www.facebook.com, next (after a day or so) wikipedia.org, now the Fedora forum. Other Internet access seems fine, but when I try to go to these pages I just get "unable to find host" errors. Its totally bizarre. It first happened in an airport so I thought it was just a strange network there, but now it happens at home. I can't get on these sites in firefox or elinks browsers (in a terminal) BUT I can ping both sites no problem. Also, the other computers in this house have no problem visiting these sites.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks a lot,
Francis
Old 26th December 2010, 01:26 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: no longer able to access some websites!?!

An easy and reversible thing to try is to toggle the Firefox config property network.dns.disableIPv6 to true. To try that, start Firefox, enter about:config in the URL navigation text box, agree, scroll down, right-click the property to toggle it. No promises.
Old 26th December 2010, 03:25 PM
fkeymo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: no longer able to access some websites!?!

OK, Thanks. That worked, but why?
I've never messed with that setting before.

Tags
access, longer, websites