Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th December 2010, 10:56 PM
fewt Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Introducing Fuduntu!The stable, easy to use Linux distribution for your PC. Based on

The stable, easy to use Linux distribution for your PC.

Fuduntu is a Fedora Remix which brings with it a wonderful GUI, and many improvements to make your portable workstation fast and efficient while enjoying battery life that I consider to be best in class.

Fuduntu looks fantastic! Through a combination of open source technology and usability excellence, Fuduntu 14.7 shines.

An example of a few of the tweaks from Fuduntu:
  • Linux Kernel 2.6.37
  • CGroups shell tweak
  • Deadline IO scheduler
  • /tmp and /var/log moved to RAM disk
  • Swappiness reduced to 10
  • Jupiter for power savings
  • Gnome default desktop tweaks
  • Misc power and performance tweaks
  • Adobe Flash
  • Fluendo MP3 Codec
  • Likewise Open
  • Infinality Freetype
  • Nautilus Elementary
  • OpenOffice
  • Thunderbird
  • GIMP
  • Jupiter
  • VIM Enhanced

Fuduntu integrates Nautilus Elementary, and is licensed to redistribute Adobe Flash, and Fluendo MP3 technologies which have been integrated into the distribution!

Download Fuduntu today - http://www.fuduntu.org/

Last edited by fewt; 25th January 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: whining stevea was whining about post #1
Old 19th December 2010, 11:31 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Introducing Fuduntu!The stable, easy to use Linux distribution for your PC. Based

It would have been best to check with us prior to posting this. I've reviewed and approved the post and wish you well with your new distro. (Not too keen on the name, but that's your choice )
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:41 PM
fewt Offline
Banned

linuxsafari
Re: Introducing Fuduntu!The stable, easy to use Linux distribution for your PC. Based

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
It would have been best to check with us prior to posting this. I've reviewed and approved the post and wish you well with your new distro. (Not too keen on the name, but that's your choice )
My appologies, I did not realize that it needed approval. Thank you for allowing it to post. FYI, I edited it and it's disappeared. Please review and re-approve.

Thank you!

Last edited by fewt; 20th December 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:43 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
My appologies, I did not realize that it needed approval. Thank you for allowing it to post. FYI, I edited it and it's disappeared. Please review and re-approve.

Thank you!
Done
Old 26th December 2010, 01:56 PM
andrewthomas Offline

linuxslackwarefirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
(Not too keen on the name, but that's your choice )
+1 This name is quite confusing, implying derivation from Ubuntu, not Fedora.
Old 26th December 2010, 02:06 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Not to mention the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt that it also sounds like
in the first syllable.
Old 26th December 2010, 02:08 PM
pythagorean Offline

windows_7ie

comical. Its like if you were in a marketing seminar studying how NOT to launch an operating system.

Its too bad that the netbook is soon to be a thing of the past since most people are going to have cell phones with more functionality and portability than any small laptop... Its a dying product category.

Maybe if Fuduntu were to develop a Fedora remix for tablet devices like the iPad it would have a chance.
www.pythagoreanmetronome.com
Old 26th December 2010, 02:09 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera

Feduntu? Fedoruntu? Fubuntu?

V

P.S. @ user=fuduntu: Thanks for your contribution. Please accept this gentle chiding as urgent suggestions to reconsider the name of your spin.
Old 26th December 2010, 02:27 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Ayup. It's all about the marketing. Which is why real estate developers hang names like, "Tranquility Lane" in the "Shady Oaks" subdivision on a sixteen foot wide mud-bog cut through the gelled surface of a slightly radioactive former landfill -- on which they've plopped madly overpriced duplexes tacked together out of reject-grade shredded-wheat OSB and two inch long aluminium staples.
Old 26th December 2010, 03:17 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

I've always thought Udora is more euphonious. (I've used both terms, or similar, to describe desktop oriented distributions.)

I have my doubts about the netbook becoming a thing of the past. A few reasons--dinosaurs like myself don't trust cell phone companies--too much of "Because we can," type charges. There was an interesting article I came across recently, about how one would use up their Verizon limit on Verizon's super duper fast network within a week.

Also, we touch typists. Screen size, People who still don't like facebook. And so on.

I think it will be awhile before we're all replaced by the generation of smart phone users.
Old 26th December 2010, 03:33 PM
fewt Offline
Banned

linuxchrome

LOL @ criticism of the name.

I don't see any reason to change the name just because a couple of people dislike it. There are distributions with better names for you to use if you don't like Fuduntu.

There are a lot of reasons to consider Fuduntu if you look past the name.

Here is information about the latest release:

http://www.fewt.com/2010/12/fuduntu-...rendering.html

Merry (belated) Christmas everyone!

Last edited by fewt; 26th December 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:50 PM
Draciron Offline

linuxfirefox

Interesting idea, flash and other propitiatory formats have become increasingly more difficult to use on Fedora over the last few years. I never did get Flash working in F12 except in Chrome. FF and Konquerer both barfed huge hairballs every time I tried to view a complex flash page. Simple flash pages worked quite fine. Never had that problem with earlier Fedora distros or any other distro for that matter. Each version of Fedora seems that much less friendly to such formats. One of my many gripes.

Which brings me to a few questions.

My biggest gripes about Fedora are.

What are the support lengths on your versions?
No Long term support. I ran FC7 for YEARS on a couple machines. I was still using FC5 on one machine until around 07 or 08. I liked that !!!! I heavily customize my machines and moving to a new distro for me is more work than pit would take me to move to a new home. I mean literally it takes fewer hours to get a machine just the way I like it than it does to pack up all my belongings and load the large truck that it takes to hold them and unpack them. I spend hundreds of man hours installing and configuring software and little of it can be reused after I move up to a new version. I want at least 5 years out of an install unless there is a truly compelling feature I absolutely need. Enhanced support for USB was the last time that happened.

Customization features?
The no root GUI login is an extreme pain. Apparently there's a work around for it that makes Ubuntu's work around seem simple. Still there is a need to run GUI apps as root occasionally. Especially for people like me who despise VI. That's just one of many changes to Fedora over the last few years that make it far more difficult to use rather than easy. My biggest gripe is actually customization. Fedora has become increasingly more difficult to customize. Even simple stuff like getting rid of that Windows imitation log in screen and getting a good Linux startup screen which actually helps you see when a service fails to start or other problems is inordinately difficult to do in Fedora. Most distros it's a simple mouse click or keystroke. The reliability of Yum extender and Kyum is another problem. While they are not Fedora apps, the reliance of Fedora on an imitation Microsoft install package which is as bare on features as Microsoft's useless add/remove apps is a great example of how Fedora has been left behind in the dust. The default GUI Yum and or Apt-Get on most distros are at least usable. The only thing I would touch with the default Fedora add/remove app was to install a real one like Yum extender or Kyum or Gnome-Yum. With Yum extender and Gnome yum apparently no longer maintained and buggy that doesn't leave a whole lot of choice does it?

JACK and other musician essential support?
Choice of audio servers. I'm a musician and Fedora HATES musicians. I know JACK audio was designed to torture distro developers. It is a nightmare to support but unfortunately just about any serious piece of music editing software beyond Audacity needs JACK to run and getting JACK to just install in Fedora has always been a challenge. Getting JACK to work and play well with the default nearly irremovable Fedora sound server even more of a challenge especially using KDE which has it's own issues with JACK. It'd be nice to have a distro that I could actually choose what sound servers I wanted and not have to uninstall a whole bunch of important software breaking packages that are dependent upon them and then reinstall them with support for another sound server or at least versions that don't knock JACK audio out the first time you use them. Didn't use to be such an ordeal. Under RH 6-9 and early Fedora versions I had a choice, at install if I remember correctly so that I didn't come up with a zillion dependency issues if I had to take Pulse audio out for example to make JACK work reliably. Linux is about choice and when you create defaults that are more like you'll use this or else like Fedora has come to do it takes choice away from you. I'd love to create a musicians spin of Fedora but last time I did a bit of research into it the idea was just not practical.

Propitiatory format support?
I'm curious about the mp3 support. While I prefer the ogg format when I trade files or send files to people using non-Linux OS's I usually have to send it as an mp3. I use multiple music players with various playlists and it's crucial to me to have mp3 support in at least 2 or 3 of those players. With your distro Likewise, while Firefox is my main browser I like to use Chrome or Galleon sometimes. The newer versions of Konquerer are actually not so bad and I've long used Opera though less so in recent years. You mention built in flash support but does that exclude flash support in other browsers? I'd LOVE to use Silverlight, Quicktime, etc. Most of these are fairly decently supported under Ubuntu and poorly or completely unsupported in Fedora. What formats do you have repository support for. I can understand not having direct support for them in the distro because of lawsuit happy lawyers. For any good distro though there is an unofficial guide who has good detailed support for propitiatory formats.

Nvidia & Intel video drivers?
These plague Linux and befuddle us.

Legacy support for older Fedora RPMs?
I ask this because I use an Epson scanner which needs propitiatory drivers which are rarely updated. Totally unsupported by SANE well it says supported sort of but in actual use it doesn't work. Last I looked F12 was the most recent Fedora distro supported. There are many other apps. For example I might want to install a developers version of Oracle. Oracle is usually a few years behind on RPM releases. Often I can install them no problem despite being designed for an older distro, at least as long as they use equal or greater than when checking dependency versions.

Got more but I suspect I've worn your eyes out.
Registered Linux user #275865
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:29 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Not really.

Fedora is an experimental version. As such, it has very frequent releases
and very frequent passing out of support.

If you want more stability, go with CentOS. The packages are pretty much
the same, but support lasts several years.
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:03 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

The only trouble with CentOS is that packages are often very old. There are times when one needs the extra hardware support, and so on. For example, it was only recently that chromium became relatively trivial to install. Calibre, for example, (when installed from the website) required some higher versions of various libraries.

As for the whole customization issue---yes, it's unfortunate and seems to the general trend in Linux distros. On the other hand, as so many of the desktop distributions consider you too stupid to be allowed to log in as root, it's not surprising that they think you're also too stupid to really know what you want.
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:25 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox

Frankly, the support length doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you've got an OS that works with your hardware, then why worry about updates? Sure, there's security, but we're 1% of the total computer users and not a prime target, plus natively a lot more secure than most will ever be. And, if you're updating hardware, it's a simple process to backup and reinstall with a current version. I'm running a 3-yr. old version of Mint on a public access computer and don't bother to update a thing. Still working, and worry-free.

What might concern me a bit is the personal support that you and your family/friends will be willing to put into Fununtu. Most of these die pretty quickly with changing life styles and lack of interest or just having the project get far bigger and more expensive than you've ever imagined. But, as I previously mentioned, if it's working, why worry if the updates dry up?
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Closed Thread

Tags
based, distribution, easy, fuduntuthe, introducing, linux, stable