Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th December 2010, 01:09 AM
dataczar Offline

linuxchrome
dual boot with mbr on the first drive with windows xp and fedora 14 on other drive

Hello

I am not smart enough to figure out how to install Fedora 14 correctly.

I have an older computer with 2 20gb drives. On the first drive (sda) I have Windows XP, and on the 2nd drive (sdb) I am trying to install Fedora 14. The catch is that I would like to put Grub and the MBR on the first drive so that when the computer boots, it asks whether to load Windows XP or Fedora.

I know I have done it with Fedora 13 in the past, but have forgotten how to do it.

Can someone please be specific on how to accomplish this in Anaconda for Fedora 14? I would like to know step by step.

Thanks in advance.

dataczar
Old 5th December 2010, 01:55 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: dual boot with mbr on the first drive with windows xp and fedora 14 on other driv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataczar

I would like to put Grub and the MBR on the first drive so that when the computer boots, it asks whether to load Windows XP or Fedora.
The default boot loader option in Anaconda is to install GRUB in the master boot record of the first hard drive. I predict that Anaconda will want to do what you described. Just don't interfere with it.

P.S.: Both of those hard drives have a master boot record. The boot loader arrangement that you described is for GRUB stage1 to be installed in the master boot record of the first hard drive in the BIOS boot order.
Old 7th December 2010, 01:59 AM
DukeNukem Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: dual boot with mbr on the first drive with windows xp and fedora 14 on other driv

I would suggest physically rearranging your drives to the following,

sda = empty (fedora)
sdb = Win XP

Then, when you install F14 either specify the partitions manually or review the partitions and make sure everything is confined to sda.

Here is an example showing my manual partition setup,

sdb is my windows 7 drive.

F14 will automatically create a dual boot setup, installing grub to sda in the above scenario.

The good thing about this setup is it will not alter the windows (sdb) drive and replace the bootloader with grub.

I myself prefer this option, both drives are fully independent and capable of booting without the other drive present should the need arise.

2010-11-21 Dangermouse - i like thee name "DukeNukem" reminds me of a game i used to play yeeeeeeears ago.. (good game)

Last edited by DukeNukem; 7th December 2010 at 02:21 AM.

Tags
boot, drive, dual, fedora, mbr, windows