Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th November 2010, 05:13 PM
FFUser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
[SOLVED] Avoid LVM/ LUKS mounts in rc.sysinit

Hi -
I have a system with multiple LVM and LUKS volumes. The system also has a customized initrd that unlocks one LUKS volume, activates one LVM (the root partition), and mounts the LVM to perform the switch_root. I do not want to mount the remaining LVM/ LUKS volumes at boot. I have edited /etc/crypttab to comment out all LUKS volumes other than the aforementioned volume used for the root partition. I have also edited /etc/fstab to comment out those LVMs that do not require mount at the time of boot. However, rc.sysinit fails upon an e2fsck check error on one of the LVMs that I do not want to mount at boot. This specific LVM is encrypted using LUKS. (the drives are relatively new and I re-ran fsck manually to double-check the filesystem integrity, so the error is a false-positive) Are there other configuration steps that I am missing to get rc.sysinit to ignore these LVM/ LUKS volumes?

Also - Is there a way to avoid the udevadm messaging flood upon startup? The message flood appeared after performing a recent system update. Presumably, this results from dracut, but I have not been able to identify any kernel boot parameters to silence the udevadm messages.

Thanks -
Will

kernel: 2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64

Last edited by FFUser; 30th November 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Changed thread to SOLVED status
Old 29th November 2010, 06:56 PM
aesir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Avoid LVM/ LUKS mounts in rc.sysinit

I don't understand if your LUKS partitions are being wrongly mounted at the initrd stage of after that.
If it's dracut try rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM as kernel parameters, but I'm not sure since you are using a custom initrd.
If it's rc.sysinit you'll need to edit it. If your partition are already mounted you can comment out the whole init_crypto

For the fsck problem maybe those partitions are flagged in /etc/fstab: the last parameter should be 0 if you don't want that partition to be checked.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:01 PM
FFUser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I don't understand if your LUKS partitions are being wrongly mounted at the initrd stage of after that.
Apologies - the issue arises after the initrd stage. I believe the issue arises during rc.sysinit script (but the udevadm logging messages obfuscate the system output).

Quote:
If it's dracut try rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM as kernel parameters, but I'm not sure since you are using a custom initrd.
Thanks -- I had tried the above flags when I thought the error originated during the initrd stage, but no joy.

Quote:
If it's rc.sysinit you'll need to edit it. If your partition are already mounted you can comment out the whole init_crypto.
I'll give it a shot tonight and see what happens -- wanted to try to avoid altering system scripts in case I forget to add back anything. I'll scan the body of the init_crypto function and make sure the function doesn't make any persistent system modifications.

Quote:
For the fsck problem maybe those partitions are flagged in /etc/fstab: the last parameter should be 0 if you don't want that partition to be checked.
I had commented out the entire entry in fstab, but will go inspect the file to see if it was originally flagged.

Thanks for the help, and I'll post what I find.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:34 PM
FFUser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

D'Oh - the fstab file was not properly commented out, so the system was attempting to mount one of the still-encrypted LVM volumes. After properly commenting both the fstab and crypttab files, the boot works as expected. Thanks for the help.

Tags
luks, lvm, rc.sysinit