Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 20th November 2010, 04:52 PM
LittleOne Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
A brand new experience... Re: "snowflakes"..

Set up this experiment at a window, in the night.. You need a high contrast black background...
The snow must be falling light as single snow flakes...
Aim a bright light at the window, so you can see the snowflakes clearly...
Somehow peak your senses and reflexes...
Stare at the snowflakes falling.. shut your eyes, then flash open your eyes for as short a time-period as you can muster, slam them shut quick as you can... While they are shut, instantly study the residual picture on your retina screen... Keep doing this till you get something exciting...

First time I did this, I saw two snowflakes bump... One flake came in spinning, close to another that was spinning.. They contacted at 90-degrees, One spun its points off in the centre of the other as they contacted, where they both melted at the contact point from the violent friction, then they instantly froze connected together, and fell fast...

It might be easier to video the snow flakes, then replay it in slow motion... Who knows what odd wonders you'll discover..?
Old 21st November 2010, 07:25 AM
JamesNZ Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: A brand new experience... Re: "snowflakes"..

Don't have snow round here
Old 21st November 2010, 07:38 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It's tough to find single snowflakes around here, mostly we get co-joined ones. When I do spot a single flake, by the time I run outside to double check the fact to make sure it's a single, it's already mixed in with the co-joined ones and is impossible distinquish.
Old 21st November 2010, 07:40 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Ran out of LSD in the '70s too.

But you get lots of single flakes when the conditions are just right.
Old 21st November 2010, 04:04 PM
LittleOne Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Snowflakes fall in singles when "hoar-frost" is falling...

If you live in an area that doesn't get snow.. it will probably happen eventually.. the climate is all messed up because of us.. things are changing drastically.. the seasons are all scrambled, as the seasons all merge into one, as it was before the moon hit the planet... I expect Australia to be getting a foot of snow 10-years from now...

I doubt you need LSD to view snowflakes in real time, if you have the ability to view what's stored on your eyes screens from a flash... I read that Mr. Geary and his learned respected associates proved that LSD was harmless, and beneficial to humanity's mental development.. I read that this culture buried LSD to prevent the peasants from learning and experiencing truth... It seems our species fears truth and reality more than they fear death...
Next time hoar-frost is falling, get out a bright light at a window at night...
Old 21st November 2010, 04:11 PM
beaker_ Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

About 6" of your 'hoar-frost' fell here yesterday. Please, you're free to take as much to experiment with as you can.
Old 21st November 2010, 04:33 PM
LittleOne Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Hoar frost accumulations are about an 8th of an inch tops...

You seem to have a "stick on your shoulder", sir.. Or a "burr in an itchy dark place".. If you have a desperate-need to hurt my feelings, kindly do it in a PM, and just get it over with...
Old 21st November 2010, 05:09 PM
beaker_ Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Sorry it's not a stick on my shoulder but instead are two cords that I must rank. Anyway here's a pic and my invitation is still open.

Late Edit: O and I'll certify it 'yellow snow' free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00110.jpe
Views:	55
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	20342  

Last edited by beaker_; 21st November 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 21st November 2010, 05:24 PM
LittleOne Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Ohhhh! The Forest.. I do so miss the pristine forests of Alberta and British Columbia... I feel at home in forests... Forests make me feel like the planet loves me... one of the weird things about forests, is that wild animals often approach me, some touch me, and make sounds as if they are "talking" to me.. others seem to have a desperate need to teach me how they acquire food.. I seem to be able to understand animal sounds, and it seems the critters understand my English... In the forest I'm among friends... I play a musical instrument or sing in the forest, and the trees around me fill up with small creatures all singing at the top of their lungs... Yup! Forests are a lot more exciting than just standing at a dark window watching snowflakes bump...
Nice forest pix.. Thanks...
Old 21st November 2010, 05:28 PM
beaker_ Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Sigh... yeah I know I haven't cut the grass since October but... please man that's my back yard and driveway.
Old 21st November 2010, 05:42 PM
LittleOne Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

If you're a "nature person", you will create a wondrous sense of love in your backyard forest, if you occasionally dice up an apple, a peach, a pear, and a few cherries and grapes, and such, and walk among the trees sprinkling those treats for the tiny life around you... In a few years you will be rewarded immensely for your kindness... You'll be able to touch even the most venomous critters there, in total safety, like how I toy with black widow spiders and wasps here.. Large friendly insects will fly straight to you, and land on your hand in trust.. maybe birds too..? plus a lot more surprises... some so great that they'll make you have to sit, or fall on your knees or bum...

Windex your picture window both sides, and get your bright light ready.. and watch for hoar frost..
Old 21st November 2010, 05:51 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Please google: Pogonip

<....>
Old 22nd November 2010, 07:30 PM
beaker_ Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Mmm still not doing it for me.

It might be a few months before I see that Dan. It's more predictable/consistent over saltwater and appears as a fine strip of mist here. Kind of like a field of misty flowers. I'll be sure to take a camera while diving this winter. If you're interested i.e., ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00114.jpe
Views:	56
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	20353  
Old 22nd November 2010, 07:41 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm absolutely interested. Please do..

Probably a hazard of the business, but I've always got a camera with me. <....>