Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2010, 08:53 PM
FlyMyPG Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F12->F14 Upgrade: No NAT, no X11

The Story So Far:
- Started with stable fully-updated F12 SOHO system (Dell SC1420 dual-Xeon HT server w/ 5GB RAM), then got F12 EOL announcement.
- Began F13 preupgrade, but kept running out of space in /boot
- I did Something Wrong (tm) while cleaning up /boot, and was no longer able to boot.
- The only Fedora DVD ISO I could find to download was for F14.
- Upgraded to F14, but system was a mess: X11 wouldn't start, I had no NAT, and I had over 100 package conflicts.
- Logged in remotely and cleaned up packages until yum had no complaints. Still no X11 or NAT.
- Got frequent Mysterious System Lockups, which have ceased since I switched to init mode 3.
- Switched to PAE kernel (and kmod-nvidia-PAE) to access the rest of my RAM.
- Got IRQ #17 Disable messages for my NIC, which appears to have been resolved using the TSO fix in RH Bug 457608.

The Situation Today:
- I can't seem to get NAT/masq/'internet connection sharing' to work again using system-config-firewall. This should be a no-brainer, but it Just Doesn't Work for me.
- X11 doesn't display on my nVidia 8400GS, despite restoring my F12 configuration. I did get the server to stop crashing, but it paints no pixels (blank screen).
- System performance is sometimes very slow compared to F12, but CPU load isn't high: I suspect I/O problems, but haven't been able to isolate any (other than the NIC issue).

I've Googled the above to death, but have yet to find clear F14 descriptions of these issues, relative to F12.

I'm running 'sudo yum update' at least twice per day, so all package versions should be current.

The output of dmesg looks fine, other than a single cmipci complaint (I rarely use sound on this system). There are no errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, including from the NVIDIA driver (which seems happy).

I've tried to keep this post brief, and haven't posted any logs or config files, but will certainly do so if needed.

The most pressing problem is NAT, but getting X11 back would be nice, if only so I can run GUI system management tools locally (some are fussy about running over SSH).

Anyone out there able to swing a heavy clue-by-four in my general direction?

Thanks,

-BobC
Old 19th November 2010, 05:26 AM
FlyMyPG Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F12->F14 Upgrade: No NAT, no X11

I love replying to my own posts...

The video/X11 issue was 'fixed' by removing *nvidia* and my old xorg.conf.

Still working the firewall issue. Still no NAT/masq.

-BobC
Old 21st November 2010, 06:24 AM
FlyMyPG Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F12->F14 Upgrade: No NAT, no X11

Using firestarter instead of system-config-firewall generated a working NAT/masq configuration.

Tags
f14, nat, x11