Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th November 2010, 04:00 AM
jimbux Offline

linuxchrome
A wee bit proud of my geeky self.

I feel like I've reached some new level of linux IT sys-admin geekdom or something. I'm sure this is old-hat to many of you guys, but here's what I'm feeling so good about myself for:
  • Took delivery of new Cyberpower PR1500SWRM2U UPS
  • Plugged my ReadyNas 1100 into new UPS
  • Plugged my new D510MO little lightweight leave-on-all-the-time daemon-running machine (which I just built recently!) into new UPS
  • Connected D510 to the UPS via usb cable so they can talk to each other.
  • Plugged my (refurbished by me) Extreme Networks 5i switch into new UPS (naturally the NAS and the D510 both plug into this switch).
  • Downloaded and installed the pwrstatd, and pwrstat linux utility from cyberpower to the D510 so the UPS can send messages to the D510 when power goes out, and have it do stuff.
  • Installed the ssh-root access add-on utility to the ReadNAS 1100.
  • setup SSH so I could send commands from D510 to nas w/o passwords
  • configured the pwrstat utility on the D510 to gracefully take down the NAS, when the battery runs low in the event of a power outage, then take down the D510 (itself) then the UPS shut itself totally off. The Extreme 5i has no powerdown needs, just pull the plug is fine (which is what happens with the UPS powers off.)

That's pretty cool right?!
Old 11th November 2010, 07:17 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: A wee bit proud of my geeky self.

My observation of the culture leads me to think that noobs are more prone to patting on the back, while from geeks you are more likely to get "you should have done it this way" - followed by a general rude argument. But, I suppose, that's when you know you've arrived.

Sounds cool to me.
Old 11th November 2010, 02:01 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxfedoramozilla

pat away dude, I'll give you a Huzza!

don't expect much from in here though, to many hard core types

if it's working then Huzza! Huzza! Huzza!

be sure to post back in here early and offten,
Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 11th November 2010, 02:10 PM
Arimus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Can't think of anything I'd do differently, maybe active the intruder protection system in case someone is trying to walk off with the kit (in my case that's a 38kg GSD - just don't tell anyone she's as soft and wet as a sheep in river)
Old 11th November 2010, 02:21 PM
jimbux Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimus View Post
Can't think of anything I'd do differently, maybe active the intruder protection system in case someone is trying to walk off with the kit (in my case that's a 38kg GSD - just don't tell anyone she's as soft and wet as a sheep in river)
I have two four legged K9 intruder protection systems currently installed in the house!
Old 11th November 2010, 02:44 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Sounds cool! It also sounds not all that difficult, but that neglects the amount of time it probably took to reasearch what you needed to do and figuring out how all the pieces go together and then troubleshoot when things don't go completely as expected!

Huzzah, for you!
Old 11th November 2010, 04:42 PM
jimbux Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
Sounds cool! It also sounds not all that difficult, but that neglects the amount of time it probably took to reasearch what you needed to do and figuring out how all the pieces go together and then troubleshoot when things don't go completely as expected!

Huzzah, for you!
Indeed - you're right, not too difficult, but it was one of those "before you do this, you have to do that" kind of tasks as it keeps unraveling backwards as you try to figure out what to do and how to do it. I'm one of those people who are easily distracted by shiny objects too, so this kind of undertaking can go down a done of avenues before getting completed!

One thing that's great about *nix is the string-simpler-components-together approach to everything. It applies from the first time you start learning about it, with pipes in the shell for example, but the idea seems to translate all the way down to sys-admining more low level stuff.

I've always been a fan of Unix and now that I have to run non-trivial setup here in my home business I'm so grateful that Linux exists. I think I'd hate it if I had to IT a bunch of windows boxes for myself.

I know I'm going on a bit of a tangent, but *thanks!* to the entire open source world - it's really quite amazing that people come together like this to create such great software, and it is great too.