Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th November 2010, 03:08 AM
belltown Offline

windows_7firefox
Black screen after fresh Fedora 14 install

This is my first attempt at using Fedora. I downloaded and burned the DVD ISO (Fedora 14 x86_64), checked the checksums and attempted an install.

I managed to get the OS installed and updated, wireless connected and updates applied. However, when I try to boot the system I get a black screen. The keyboard lights seem to function (backlighting keys, wireless on/off light, etc.), but nothing appears on the screen after the Grub menu.

I have an HP ENVY 14 with an Intel Core i5-M450 CPU, 4GB of memory, 160GB SSD, Radeon HD 5650 graphics card and Intel integrated graphics, dual-booted with Windows 7.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem that doesn't involve me spending 4 hours Googling for an answer, before I go back to Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10th November 2010, 06:51 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Black screen after fresh Fedora 14 install

Have you already tried the workarounds suggested in the common bugs section?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common...hical_problems

What graphics driver are you using?
Old 10th November 2010, 07:46 AM
belltown Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
Have you already tried the workarounds suggested in the common bugs section?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common...hical_problems

What graphics driver are you using?
How do I find out what graphics driver I'm using?
Old 10th November 2010, 07:57 AM
Salamandra Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltown View Post
This is my first attempt at using Fedora. I downloaded and burned the DVD ISO (Fedora 14 x86_64), checked the checksums and attempted an install.

I managed to get the OS installed and updated, wireless connected and updates applied. However, when I try to boot the system I get a black screen. The keyboard lights seem to function (backlighting keys, wireless on/off light, etc.), but nothing appears on the screen after the Grub menu.

I have an HP ENVY 14 with an Intel Core i5-M450 CPU, 4GB of memory, 160GB SSD, Radeon HD 5650 graphics card and Intel integrated graphics, dual-booted with Windows 7.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem that doesn't involve me spending 4 hours Googling for an answer, before I go back to Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.
There you are.
Linux User #365705
Old 10th November 2010, 08:40 AM
belltown Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
There you are.
There are two graphics cards installed: the integrated graphics and the radeon HD graphics. I can't tell which one Fedora is trying to use, nor do I know how to tell it to use a particular graphics card. It would be helpful if someone could tell me how to get Fedora to use one or the other so I could determine if it was the graphics card in use that was causing the black screen. And no, there's no BIOS option to select a particular graphics card.

Last edited by belltown; 10th November 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:13 AM
Salamandra Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Sorry, i thougth you didn't know the card.

You can look in xorg.conf in order to see which driver is used.

I think this can help:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf
Linux User #365705
Old 10th November 2010, 10:19 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Look into /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The X server lists all drivers and modules it uses.
Old 10th November 2010, 05:06 PM
belltown Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
Look into /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The X server lists all drivers and modules it uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
Sorry, i thougth you didn't know the card.

You can look in xorg.conf in order to see which driver is used.

I think this can help:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf
I don't have any way to look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. All I have after I boot is a black screen; it's like someone just turned off the monitor.

I tried booting using the nomodeset kernel parameter. In that case I get a bar that appears along the bottom of the screen. It starts off blue then ends up white, and has Fedora 14 written in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Is there any way to tell the kernel to load a particular video driver module when it boots, or anything else I can do? I can't even get a command prompt.
Old 11th November 2010, 07:46 AM
belltown Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've finally managed to get my laptop to boot -- sort of...

I reinstalled Fedora 14. This time I selected the option to install using the "Basic" video driver.

Apparently, this configures Xorg to use something called the "vesa" driver, which appears to work quite well. Even Flash videos running in full-screen worked fairly smoothly after I installed the 64-bit beta Flash plugin. (The 32-bit version worked for video, but had no sound).

However, I wanted to use the "intel" driver instead of the "vesa" driver. I created an /etc/xorg.conf file with a driver entry for the "intel driver". I removed the "nomodeset" option from the grub configuration entry. Now the intel graphics driver works. Flash videos in full-screen are super-smooth.

But --- when I boot using the intel graphics driver I get a black screen. After hours of Googling, forum scouring and experimenting I devised two methods to get to my graphical desktop, both of which work every time:

Method 1: After booting to the black screen press Ctrl-Alt-F2 (select virtual termnal #2, still with a black screen displayed), then close the laptop's lid (to suspend), wait 10 seconds, open the lid, the command prompt for virtual terminal #2 appears, press Ctrl-Alt-F1. Now I have my graphical desktop. [Just closing and opening the lid without switching virtual terminals didn't work].

Method 2: Create an executble file, e.g. test.sh in my home directory containing the following 3 lines:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
Assign a keyboard shortcut key to this file, e.g. Ctrl-W
Now when I boot with the black screen I can type in what I would normally type in to login in if I had a screen visible: double click, enter, my password, enter. Now I can type Ctrl-W to run my script and lo and behold my desktop appears.

The questions I have for any Linux gurus out there is: why does this work? What I read said something about power management/ACPI and stuff I know very little about, and secondly, is there anything I can put in a script somewhere, or some configuration settings I can use to get this process to work automatically when I boot? I've tried executing my test script from my .bashrc file and from /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Old 11th November 2010, 08:10 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I don''t claim to be a linux guru, but I suspect your xrandr commands are having no effect because X isn't running yet. Try putting your script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrd.d.
Old 21st November 2010, 11:13 PM
belltown Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
I don''t claim to be a linux guru, but I suspect your xrandr commands are having no effect because X isn't running yet. Try putting your script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrd.d.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my script with the xrandr commands that reset the monitor to get rid of the black screen problem, to be executed at startup time.

I want the script to be run right after X has started and finished its initialization. I tried putting the script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-local.sh. However, the script never gets executed. Any suggestions of how I can get it to run automatically after X starts.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:58 PM
giapkoon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

how about putting the xrandr scripts into /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
Old 10th December 2010, 10:47 AM
abilash Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs up Re: Black screen after fresh Fedora 14 install

Hey.. I found the solution to your problem. Just try to connect an external monitor to your computer.

This is where I found it, http://techrabbi.blogspot.com/
Old 11th December 2010, 03:10 AM
belltown Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilash View Post
Hey.. I found the solution to your problem. Just try to connect an external monitor to your computer.

This is where I found it, http://techrabbi.blogspot.com/
That's not really applicable in my case as it only seems to address black screens that occur during the installation process. Mine happened every time I booted.

The solution I ended up with was to give up on Fedora and run openSUSE instead, which doesn't have that problem with my configuration.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:15 PM
132811 Offline

linuxchrome

What did your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" say?
Have u tried to copy yr script file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d?

Last edited by 132811; 11th December 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Tags
black, fedora, fresh, install, screen