Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th November 2010, 11:33 PM
dataghost Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Extend a LVM2 group on FC13?

Hello.

I have installed my Fedora on a LVM2 group and alocated a total of 10 GB. Which of course is abusrdly and ridiculously low space. As a matter of fact I did even more stupid thing - I allocated 4 (four) gigabytes for /swap !

I am complete novice in Linux and fedora, but I want to extend my /root lvm drive with at least 20 gb.

I burned parted magic on a CD and tried to manage the LVM2 grop, but it said LVM2 was not supported in parted magic. And so I tried the Fedora Partition Manager and got lost in what and how. I tried reducing the /swap space and increasing the / space, but failed - I could only select zero Mbytes for swap space, and had the only option of decreasing space for /, which is really not what I want to do.

What I want to do is extend the space for the whole LVM2 Logical Group , which is now 10 GB total for / and /swap. Or at least I'd like to reduce my /swap size and increase my / size.

Can you guys tell me how to do that ? (without formatting or losing data)
Old 6th November 2010, 12:57 AM
plarsen Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Extend a LVM2 group on FC13?

We'll need a bit of information from you. Can you paste the output from "fdisk -l" here? Indicate what space you want to keep and what you want to add to the LVM.
Old 6th November 2010, 10:49 AM
dataghost Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Extend a LVM2 group on FC13?

Guys, don't bother. I did try something and it seems to have messed my LVM partitions pretty nice. Recovering would be too hard (to impossible) now. I will reformat and reinstall the partition.

Thanks you the responses.

Tags
extend, fc13, group, lvm2