Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th October 2010, 10:44 PM
zoinksbob Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
random hangs/reboots

I've installed F14b x86_64 on two machines:
a Core i7 with a Radeon 5450
and a Core 2 Duo with Radeon 3850

On the Core 2 all is dandy and sweetness and light, but on the Core i7, the system randomly reboots or locks up. I would file a bug, but I can't figure out if A) it's already filed, and B) where I should file it under.

There's nothing useful in the log files after the OS hangs/reboots. Is anyone else seeing this? How can I get more info so I can file a useful bug report?

The same Core i7 machine also has F13 installed, and that works just fine, so it's specific to F14.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:44 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: random hangs/reboots

very likely a kernel bug. if there's no info in the logs, though, filing a useful report will be tough. You might want to try a 2.6.36 kernel from F15 to see if that works any better, out of interest.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 30th October 2010, 06:48 PM
zoinksbob Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Running the 2.6.36 kernel does seem to help. It's hard to say for sure yet, since the problem is random, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 31st October 2010, 01:32 AM
LittleOne Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

I found that those super video-boards can sometimes cause troubles like the early transistor TV's did, which could lock-up for no apparent reason.. The cure was to unplug them for a few minutes... "Off the top", maybe the cure to your glitch is to release the power to the card for a few minutes, by pulling the card..? Maybe the card's chips have become accustomed to the power differences of a different OS..? maybe..?

While you're in the box, check the CPU's fan and fins for dust bunnies.. it sounds like a heat problem...

Last edited by LittleOne; 31st October 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:11 AM
zoinksbob Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Oops. Looks like it might be an overheating issue, after all.
Going to buy some case fans tomorrow. We'll see if it helps.
Old 1st November 2010, 08:54 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

doh, indeed, overheating is *always* something to check in the case of 'random hangs'. Apologies for not mentioning it.

(One handy quick-n-dirty testing method is to open up the case and point a desk fan at the insides, and run it that way for a bit. That usually lowers the temperature enough that, if overheating is the problem, it'll stop hanging).
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
hangs or reboots, random