Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2004, 09:43 PM
MrWh1t3 Offline

Western Digital HDDs

I was wondering if anyone had any issues on installing Fedora core 2 on western digital 100gig hdds. I tried to install on 2 of them and same result on each one..My computer would start up run through all the checks find my PCI cards then boom it would stop and i would get a GRUB at the bottom left hand of my screen. and i couldnt go any further. I installed on 2 maxtor drives a 200 gig and a 10 gig both worked fine havent tried any western dives less than 100gig so i guess i was wondering what was up?

GRUB
Old 25th May 2004, 11:23 PM
Prometheus Offline

I dont know. I had FC1 installed on a Western Digital at one point (before my filesystems got corrupted and had to reformat). It seemed to install just fine. I cant see anything about the WD hdds that would make them unwriteable to Fedora. My WD was an older 12 gig, but it still ran just fine under Fedora. You probably want to check the jumper settings as WD hdds have different jumper settings than every other hdd manufacturer. Other than that, Fedora should load just fine on a WD Hdd.
Registered Linux User #371104

Become a Registered Linux User Here
Old 25th May 2004, 11:25 PM
brymaster Offline

Hi,

I have FC2 installed and dual booted with WinXP on a WD 120gig HD with no problems.
Old 26th May 2004, 12:24 AM
jrstueve Offline

I have a 160GB WD hard drive and had the same luck as the first post.

A blinking GRUB at the bottom. My other drive is a 40GB WD drive. I haven't tried installing to that one yet...
Old 26th May 2004, 01:51 AM
brymaster Offline

That's not good. I suggest you two submit bug reports to Fedora if you haven't done so yet.

Tags
digital, hdds, western