Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:10 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 14 RC1 available for testing

Hi, everyone. Just to note for those who haven't seen that RC1 is now up. If you have spare time to help us test it, that would be really great. It can be found here. I've put up a News thread with instructions on how to help with the formal release validation testing. This thread can be for general RC1 discussion. Thanks everyone!
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 24th October 2010, 03:34 AM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 14 RC1 available for testing

Downloaded the Fedora-14-i686-Live-Desktop.iso and successfully installed to a 2GB usb flash drive with Liveusb-creator from a F13 install. Booted the F14 rc1 usb from a Sony laptop to the desktop with no problem.
Started checking the functions and noticed that I could not connect to the web through ethernet connection but
worked with the onboard wireless.

Decided to install to the laptop and everything worked fine using the default setting to use the whole drive. Took
about 10 minutes to complete and login to the fresh install desktop and still no ethernet connectivity. Took the
same usb device and booted it from an Emachines desktop with no problem getting to a desktop but same thing there no ethernet connectivity. Hooked up my Belkin wireless dongle to the desktop and it worked and connected fine.

The ethernet card for the desktop is RTL-8139 and the laptop is a Marvell Tech. 88E8036. Any ideas as to getting the ethernet working or has anyone else tried the live image with similar results.

phil

Last edited by ryptyde; 24th October 2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: move a line
Old 24th October 2010, 07:49 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I installed RC1 on a laptop and ethernet worked from the beginning. I used the desktop liveCD (Gnome) and put it on a 1GB USB stick with the dd command. Did you notice any error messages, e.g. in /var/log/messages?
Old 24th October 2010, 10:18 AM
aim Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Hi, everyone. Just to note for those who haven't seen that RC1 is now up. If you have spare time to help us test it, that would be really great. It can be found here. I've put up a News thread with instructions on how to help with the formal release validation testing. This thread can be for general RC1 discussion. Thanks everyone!
Installed from netinst RC1 and everything works fine except of the internet connection. It worked fine too, but for unknown reason asked for a wlan connection even when ethernet was available.

don't think it's a bug, but this behavior should be fixed before 15, IMHO.
Old 24th October 2010, 04:08 PM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
I installed RC1 on a laptop and ethernet worked from the beginning. I used the desktop liveCD (Gnome) and put it on a 1GB USB stick with the dd command. Did you notice any error messages, e.g. in /var/log/messages?
According to the log the device was activated and the NetworkManager panel icon said "Wired network connection 'Auto eth0' active" but could not ping google.com. I used the wireless connection to install "system-config-network" and "system-config-services" and looked for anything that may be disabled. Made a few changes to allow "http and https" and in services enabled httpd and after a reboot the ethernet appears to be working as it should and pinging google and starting firefox now works. So my ethernet problem is solved at this point.

phil
Old 25th October 2010, 06:31 AM
Mister B Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I installed it on my Acer 5740 laptop and it's mostly working well. WiFi, sound and webcam all work without a hitch.

I initially tried shrinking a Windows 7 NTFS partion, but the installer keeps crashing. I was able to install on a USB flash drive no problem.
Old 25th October 2010, 09:08 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

linuxfedorafirefox

Working well for me, and gnome shell seems to be running perfect now (at last)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	317
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	20214  
Old 25th October 2010, 09:29 AM
arowana Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Bug in Nautilus

Dont know if this belongs here, but hope this helps

Folder-Zoom in Nautilus shows strange behaviour in 14-i686 and 14-x86_64 as well. I experienced this since 14Beta.
Old 25th October 2010, 09:38 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
Working well for me, and gnome shell seems to be running perfect now (at last)
glad to see you got Gnome-shell going in F14 cause i cant. says i dont have 3D Hardware or some crap like that. might add i was using the opensource Nvidia driver
Old 25th October 2010, 09:57 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
glad to see you got Gnome-shell going in F14 cause i cant. says i dont have 3D Hardware or some crap like that. might add i was using the opensource Nvidia driver
Yeh i had to install the nvidia driver from nvidia, the rpmfusion nvidia driver just doesnt work for me nor anyone else in f14 from what i can tell.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:55 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
Yeh i had to install the nvidia driver from nvidia, the rpmfusion nvidia driver just doesnt work for me nor anyone else in f14 from what i can tell.
not that im overly conerned with Gnome-shell not working. since its only gonna be a Addon to Gnome3.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:20 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

detox: you need to do 'yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental' to get 3D support with nouveau, and even then, whether gnome-shell will work isn't a sure thing. I have two NVIDIA systems; gnome-shell works fine with nouveau on one of them (this one) but is badly broken on the other. nouveau 3D support is still fairly early.

dangermouse: he said he was using 'the open source driver' (i.e. nouveau), not nvidia installed from RPM Fusion. nvidia from Fusion should work but the problem is that the tool used to configure X for it, nvidia-config-display, doesn't, because of https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=623742 , so if you just install the driver from RPM Fusion, xorg.conf won't be set up right and it won't work. This should be workaroundable somehow, but I haven't really tested it.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:20 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

mister b: how exactly did the installer crash when you tried to resize an NTFS partition? did you report the crash?
Old 25th October 2010, 10:42 PM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
detox: you need to do 'yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental' to get 3D support with nouveau, and even then, whether gnome-shell will work isn't a sure thing. I have two NVIDIA systems; gnome-shell works fine with nouveau on one of them (this one) but is badly broken on the other. nouveau 3D support is still fairly early.
yeah i used that driver Ads, it would not work , when i install F15 looks like i'll have to use the blob driver
Old 26th October 2010, 01:50 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

detox: ah, fair enough. like I said, it doesn't work in all cases by any means yet :/

Tags
fedora, rc1, testing