Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 19th October 2010, 11:40 PM
tox

windows_7firefox
Linux is dead... at least on the desktop

Quote:
While Linux implementations in the datacenter may be on the rise, PC World says that Linux on the desktop has already died , perhaps as long ago as 2008.

Ironically, Linux has become easier to use over the years with the Ubuntu Distribution leading the way in ease of installation and use. It is no longer required to know how to compile your own kernel (like I did back in the Slackware days!), nor is it necessary to configure audio/video drivers or your XFree86 setup. Everything is done for you – which should make things easier for your mom and dad to use.

Unfortunately, as the article points out, a lack of content is what has kept Linux as an afterthought on the desktop market. Most of this has to do with Digital Rights Management (DRM), the system that content providers use to limit how and when you can use their media. For example, playing regular DVDs out of the box requires extra work due to the “Content Scrambling System” or CSS for short. In order to play DVD video, you need to manually install an extra package because it’s not included in Linux distributions due to licensing and legal issues. While the installation is not difficult, most normal end users would simply throw up their hands and say that Linux is broken if they can’t play a movie on their newly installed system.

Another problem is the fragmentation of Linux distributions. While most people have probably heard of Red Hat and Ubuntu, there are dozens more that are more obscure – from Absolute to Zorin. While most have a standard base (Zorin, for example, is based on Ubuntu), making tools compatible across all of the distributions is very difficult. The article gives an example of Flash not working well in the past due to Linux fragmentation and poor drivers.

The article goes on to say that the only hope Linux has on the desktop is with the current shift towards cloud computing, where the choice of desktop operating system is unimportant. That said, Linux is still strong in the server, appliance, and mobile markets and all signs are that it will remain so due to the very flexibility that prevents it from being a mainstream operating system.
http://www.neowin.net/news/linux-is-...on-the-desktop
Old 19th October 2010, 11:52 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxkonqueror
Re: Linux is dead... at least on the desktop

???

Seems to be working fine here.

V
Old 19th October 2010, 11:58 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Works fine where I worked (DoD). They used Linux/BSD/Solaris. I used Linux
for desktop use ever since about 1995.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:04 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfedorafirefox

I wonder if anyone told that writer in PCWorld that that proprietary Mac desktop is based on free, open source operating system?

Meanwhile I continue using my still breathing Linux desktop.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 20th October 2010, 12:18 AM
mwesten Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
Seems to be working fine here.
Mine is too!
Old 20th October 2010, 12:29 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

PCWorld is a joke compared to PCMag. That said, we'll always hang in the 1% range and that's fine with me. It's an OS that I choose to use, however there's nothing wrong with Win7 or whatever else works for others.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th October 2010, 03:21 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox

I don't think Linux is dead on the desktop. However I do agree with some of the points in the article.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 20th October 2010, 03:24 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxfirefox

Whenever I see headlines like that I just think to myself "Here we go again, another loser journalist who needs to justify to his boss why he 'deserves' his bloated salary"
Old 20th October 2010, 03:34 AM
psd911 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well I just switched from windoze to Fedora a couple of days ago. Tired of all the $$ to pay out for security and lost time. I'm hoping I can make a 100% move in the near future. So it just came alive in my world.
Old 20th October 2010, 04:03 AM
brunson Offline

linuxchrome

To paraphrase Mark Twain... "Reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated."
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy
Old 20th October 2010, 06:26 AM
MorphingDragon Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
I wonder if anyone told that writer in PCWorld that that proprietary Mac desktop is based on free, open source operating system?
Only because Apple open-sourced XNU.

Also, what does being based on an Open-Source Kernel has to do anything. Linux essentially rejects the world, so the world ignores it. Mac OSX embraces standards, open or not, therefore relevant to the world.

Last edited by MorphingDragon; 20th October 2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:00 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Only because Apple open-sourced XNU.
Eh, no. Because OS X is based on BSD, and FreeBSD specifically.

Quote:
Also, what does being based on an Open-Source Kernel has to do anything.
How about: if that kernel didn't exist, neither would the OS that is using it?

Quote:
Linux essentially rejects the world, so the world ignores it.
Really? Damn it's terrible that such widely rejected OS is used all over the place from servers to mobile phones to ereaders and what nots.

Quote:
Mac OSX embraces standards, open or not, therefore relevant to the world.
Ok, Microsoft doesn't embrace standards, so they are irrelevant to the world then?

================================================== ================================================== ===============================
What the writer of that article doesn't realise is that there is no aftermarket for Linux machines thus retailers have zero incentive to push them to the consumer. Also, apart of few games, there is no such commercial must have, killer application (virus scanners excluded) for consumer desktop that doesn't have free alternative available (better than commercial one or not), therefore companies haven't got much will to port their products. Open source applications such as Firefox and Open Office can't be compared to popularity of operating system because it is tad easier to install a desktop application than replace your OS.

Doesn't mean that I ever expect Linux to be dominating OS on desktop, but I don't even want it to be.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Last edited by pete_1967; 20th October 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:07 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

s/Linux/BSD/g
Old 20th October 2010, 08:15 AM
MorphingDragon Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Eh, no. Because OS X is based on BSD, and FreeBSD specifically.
Wroooooong.

The only BSD part of Mac OSX is the POSIX API (Something Linux stilll doesn't fully implement), networking stack and the Unix compatible Daemons. The main component of the Darwin Kernel is XNU, a NeXT technology. XNU itself is not even UNIX, so it can't be based on BSD.

Quote:
How about: if that kernel didn't exist, neither would the OS that is using it?
That still doesn't answer my question. Mac OSX is based inherently based from Mach, not BSD. Extra functionality was added to the kernel by using code from the BSD kernel thus making the XNU kernel.

Quote:
Really? Damn it's terrible that such widely rejected OS is used all over the place from servers to mobile phones to ereaders and what nots.
So is OS/2, HP-UX, Windows, Mach, Minix, XNU...

Hell, a Phone beats Desktop Linux. (Which is what the post is about)

Quote:
Ok, Microsoft doesn't embrace standards, so they are irrelevant to the world then?
For a start Microsoft do embrace standards, so your post just wreaks of someone just blatantly rolling their head on their keyboard.

Last edited by MorphingDragon; 20th October 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:44 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Where I work, linux is THE only desktop application allowed. Anyone that tries to connect to the mainframe system with a windows machine is locked out immediately and not allowed to connect.

This is done because of all the security problems in a windows machine.